Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Frustrated With Thor Customer Service

I've owned my own businesses since 1973, including 24 years as a Chrysler dealer and 25 years owning fast-food franchise restaurants, so I believe I understand customer service. And since I've been on both sides of the "complaint" table, I tend to be a bit more patient and understanding than the average person. But my patience is wearing thin with Thor.

To begin, we first bought a 2016 Vegas 25.3 in December of 2016. We drove that coach on several trips over the next year, including across the country, Kentucky to California, twice. The most difficult repair we ever had was replacing a windshield wiper arm. The only negative was that my wife preferred a couch rather than a dinette.

When Thor introduced the Vegas 27.7 late in 2017, the floorplan gave us exactly what we desired...a dinette and a couch, with extra interior space from the additional slide-out. We traded the 25.3 for the 27.7 in January of this year.

We had numerous serious problems with this coach right from the start, but I won't bore you with all the details. But I did send a list of 14 defects that I believed were serious enough to merit a trip to the factory for repair rather than taking it to a dealer (even though I am a 10 hour drive from the factory).

I was asked to send a detailed listing and pictures to a certain person at Thor customer service. I did so and had no response for over two weeks. I then called Thor again and began a long series of exchanges with Ron Baker via phone and email.

After multiple telephone conversations, Mr. Baker first emailed me on April 25th saying I was "penciled in" for July 23rd and he would turn in the paperwork when I agreed to that date, I confirmed less than an hour later. He replied that same day that he would turn in the paperwork and I should get a confirmation "in a couple of weeks."

On May 22nd, I again emailed Mr. Baker, reminding him that he had said I should receive confirmation in about two weeks, and four weeks had now passed since that promise. He replied that my confirmation was ready and would be "sent out to you today."

I then wrote Mr. Baker again on May 31st, saying that I had yet to receive the confirmation that he had promised nine days earlier.

Six days later, I am still waiting on a response to that inquiry, and it has now been nearly 90 days since I first requested a factory appointment. I still don't know if I have one for July 23rd or not.

I understand the need for repairs, and that anything mechanical will break...but I do not understand and will not accept poor customer service...for that there is no excuse.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sometimes you just gotta pick up the phone. Emails do not make noise. They can easily sit alone for days as they've made the trip and enjoy lazing around. Everybody wants to be in the "In Box". They get lost in the pages that follow with others. If they are answered, their life is done...over. Pick up the phone. It always worked in the good ole days...it still works today. People respond to people. Email has become nothing more today than social media. Good luck with the factory trip...it will be a great experience from what I've heard.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Sorry to the OP
That is all over not just RV but
I am curious about the industry. Not Thor per se
If these RVs are bought not travel trailers by retirees on limited incomes to TRAVEL
will the manufacturers reimburse you for your time and gas to go to the original maker?
Like what if ford had you coming back to Detroit or Kansas City?
I have called and called (not on rvs) but like a medical office people will stop answering your call.
IDK I'm not trying to create havoc, but when is quality etc or how is it gonna get changed?
People I do business with tell me to stop by and they'll handle it, right!
I should just stop by 200 miles round trip?
Just sayin
Time they are not making more of it and the older I get?!
I respect yours but it works both ways