Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Losing Voltage

I'm currently camped (plugged in to 30 AMP) shore power. I've been plugged in for two weeks but have noticed the past few days I'm slowly losing battery voltage off the coach batteries. How can I tell if this is a battery problem or a converter problem i.e. not charging correctly. BTW batteries are excide deep cycle and 1 year old.

Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Go to the WFCO (World Family Company) web site and load the trouble shooting for the WF-8955 power center. The WFCO is the most common converter charger used by Thor in recent years.

With the converter on check the voltage output at the power center. These will be the large wires coming from the charger/converter going to to the 12 volt fuse panel. It should read 13.5-14.2 volts. If that good, it is NOT your converter charger. Next with the converter charger on find the battery charging cable in the battery compartment. It will be a fused #6 cable. Disconnect it and check the voltage. It should read 13.5 to 14.2 volts. If it is about 1.6 volts you have a bad battery charging relay.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
why do you think you are losing battery voltage?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
The WFCO is not capable of charging the Exides properly as I have never seen one go above 14.2 volts. If you check the manufacture web site the Exides require 14.8 volts for up to 12 hours to complete charging in absorb mode. The absorb voltage for the WFCO is 13.6 volts which is the float level voltage for the Exides.
When on shore power I use an automotive smart charger that will reach the required voltages.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
2.25 volts per cell will fully charge any lead acid battery (13.5 v for 6 cell battery). That's how a floating charge keeps the batteries fully charged. More voltage, the faster the charging rate and the hotter the battery gets when being charged. Generally the max CC/CV charging is 2.40-2.45 volts per cell. While this higher voltage does shorten battery life, it is deemed as acceptable to shorten charging battery time. Any lead-acid battery should be charged with a max amperage of 10% of AHr rating for max longevity. Typically this is 10-15 amps. AGM batteries require slightly different charging schedule to their very low internal resistance. I would suggest that the WFCO charger not be used with AGM batteries as it is optimized for flooded lead-acid batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 AM   #6

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Thank you all for the good information. Turns out I had accidently hit the battery "store" switch. Obviously the battery cannot charge if disconnected. Once I turned the switch to "use" the Voltage immediately started to rise. As mentioned the WFCO may not put the full 14.8 volt charge but 14.2 I think will be ok.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote