Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
outdoor gas grill or gas heater hookup 1/2" male quick release hookup on thor vegas

Hi,
There is a 1/2" male quick release hookup on thor vegas (see attached image). Does anyone have a recommended outdoor gas grill or gas heater to hookup? I have tried to hook up this heater to the RV below:
MH9BX Portable Buddy Heater | Mr. Heater
and i found out that the heater requires high pressure since there is a regulator built into the heater. and I can not run that heater off the quick connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-gas-hookup-image.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	9015  

Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
I’m having the same issue, trying to stay with our Char-Broil table top grill. Even though at our PDI I was told that two regulators would not be a problem, others experience would say, he’s wrong.
I’m thinking my options are; Extenda-stay, With a quick connect fitting. Carry a 20lb tank with us, or buy a new grill.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I’m having the same issue, trying to stay with our Char-Broil table top grill. Even though at our PDI I was told that two regulators would not be a problem, others experience would say, he’s wrong.
I’m thinking my options are; Extenda-stay, With a quick connect fitting. Carry a 20lb tank with us, or buy a new grill.
I carry a small 4.25 lb propane tank with us. Doesn't take up as much room as a 20lb tank. For us weekender's it lasts us the whole summer BBQ'ing. In addition: I can put the BBQ anywhere in the campsite--not limited to 10' away from the RV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Where do you carry your propane tank Jamie? I just take the small bottles and have installed a fabric bag in the propane compartment so I don’t have to put propane inside a closed compartment. I have always been worried of a propane bottle leak inside a closed compartment.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Where do you carry your propane tank Jamie? I just take the small bottles and have installed a fabric bag in the propane compartment so I don’t have to put propane inside a closed compartment. I have always been worried of a propane bottle leak inside a closed compartment.
I carry it in the big rear storage area along with the BBQ--on the passenger side. I figure if there is a leak we'd either smell it or the propane detector would go off since it isn't that far away.

We've had the BBQ + a small propane tank in the RV for as long as I can remember--this is the 2nd small tank we've had as the first one expired.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #6

THOR #1765
It’s not the gas getting into the RV that I worry about. Propane is heavier than air so it settles to the lowest place. A small leak in an enclosed space can lead to an explosive air/fuel mixture - called bomb. The USAF has one of those and if you ever see one go off, you’d be impressed. OSHA says that all compartments that carry propane must be ventilated at the bottom of the compartment. Excellent reason for that. Chances for a leak - not great. Consequences- catastrophic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83E195A1-224F-4633-B76F-F41674EA79D7.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	9033  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Since we dry camp so much a spare 20# bottle is carried in the dinghy. Also carry fittings hook both the grill and two burner stove if needed.
With our previous camper we carried a Mr Heater Buddy, ran the hose in under a vinyl flap keeping the 20# bottle out side. Although we didn't use the Buddy at night. Haven't figured out a way to run the hose into the Axis yet.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Good info re propane in the cargo bays. I use the 16 ounce bottles. Do the same concerns apply?
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Good info re propane in the cargo bays. I use the 16 ounce bottles. Do the same concerns apply?
Absolutely. 16ounces of propane, the right air mixture and a spark makes a large bang. There were pictures on the net several years ago of the consequences of the release valve in a 16 ounce bottle failing shut, heating up and the subsequent explosion destroying a picnic table. The right propane/air mixture will give you a much bigger bang.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #10

THOR #10717
Thanks for the advice and warning about storing the propane tanks in a seal location. I think this leads me back to looking at using the propane attachment off of the RV and back to my original question with an appropriate adapter.
I ordered this one below for the heater:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/MB-St...-p/66-7119.htm
and was also thinking of purchasing a outdoor burner for using for frying pan/boiling water.
Any suggestions on a good outdoor single or double burner and attachment hose that will work? I have seen some good coleman burners that attach with a 1 lb tank- but would prefer to not carry tanks in the RV.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
If the people that read these forums & don't learn anything else it should be,
DO NOT believe ANYTHING a salesman says about ANY subject, they DO NOT know or care as long as they SELL whatever it is they are selling. You have to do your own homework.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I took the regulator off my Grill and connected the quick disconnect to it.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Thanks for the advice and warning about storing the propane tanks in a seal location. I think this leads me back to looking at using the propane attachment off of the RV and back to my original question with an appropriate adapter.
I ordered this one below for the heater:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/MB-St...-p/66-7119.htm
and was also thinking of purchasing a outdoor burner for using for frying pan/boiling water.
Any suggestions on a good outdoor single or double burner and attachment hose that will work? I have seen some good coleman burners that attach with a 1 lb tank- but would prefer to not carry tanks in the RV.
Thanks
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that hose won't work.

The quick-connect on the coach is low pressure; it has already been regulated. The hose goes from the low pressure quick-connect to a hig pressure bottle fitting. In other words, you will be attempting to feed low pressure regulated propane to a grill or other device that is expecting high pressure propane directly from a 1 lb bottle. Those devices have their own regulators to regulate that high pressure propane down to a usable low pressure. 2 regulators in series will NOT WORK.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 AM   #14

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that hose won't work.

The quick-connect on the coach is low pressure; it has already been regulated. The hose goes from the low pressure quick-connect to a hig pressure bottle fitting. In other words, you will be attempting to feed low pressure regulated propane to a grill or other device that is expecting high pressure propane directly from a 1 lb bottle. Those devices have their own regulators to regulate that high pressure propane down to a usable low pressure. 2 regulators in series will NOT WORK.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I will cancel the order for the hose.
So what heater or cook top could i use with attaching it to the RV regulated gas line? I would prefer to not carry propane in the RV as there are no storage compartments that are ventilated.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
So what heater or cook top could i use with attaching it to the RV regulated gas line? I would prefer to not carry propane in the RV as there are no storage compartments that are ventilated.

Thanks!
As long as the grill/heater regulator can be removed/bypassed, you can connect it to the low pressure line (quick connect). Several here have adapted grills for use in that manner - typically cheaper than a grill sold for RV use - and a much bigger selection.

If the regulator can't be removed, something like Extend-a-Stay will give you a safe high pressure tap without carrying extra propane bottles.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Absolutely. 16ounces of propane, the right air mixture and a spark makes a large bang. There were pictures on the net several years ago of the consequences of the release valve in a 16 ounce bottle failing shut, heating up and the subsequent explosion destroying a picnic table. The right propane/air mixture will give you a much bigger bang.
Thank you!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #17

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
As long as the grill/heater regulator can be removed/bypassed, you can connect it to the low pressure line (quick connect). Several here have adapted grills for use in that manner - typically cheaper than a grill sold for RV use - and a much bigger selection.

If the regulator can't be removed, something like Extend-a-Stay will give you a safe high pressure tap without carrying extra propane bottles.
Thanks for the advice.
The Extenda-Stay is a nice idea but my RV propane tank is on the driver side and we would be hanging out on the passenger side where the TV and awning is located. That would mean i would have to run a long propane hose around or under the RV to the heater or burner which does not seem like a good idea.

Could I get a stove like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OU9D...a-309742613703

and then just hook in a quick connect line directly to the stove from the RV? Would this work?

Does anyone know of a propane heater that does not have a built in regulator?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #18

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:

Thanks!
Like I said, I removed the regulator on my weber and connected the quick disconnect direct. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDOONEC...a-273250506659
But you should be able to do it to almost any grill
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:03 AM   #19

THOR #10717
I think i have this figured out:
Coleman® Roadtrip® RV Quick-Connect Plus Conversion Kit - propanegear

connected to:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OU9D...a-309742613703

and then this space heater without using the regulator:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Remington-8...ter/1000107987
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #20

THOR #6671
We have a Thor Quantum, so not sure if this info is helpful or not. Our LP did not come with a quick release fitting. So, we ran a "T" with its own shutoff valve off the side and installed a quick release on that piece. We purchased a Nexgrill two-burner grill, and replaced the regulator with another quick release. We then created a 20-foot hose with quick releases on each end, and the system works perfectly. Adequate gas flow. Longer hose allows us to move smoke and grease away from side of coach and awning.