Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2022, 07:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #4093
Lp/carbonmonoxide detector

My cabin batteries are showing that they are dead and all the lights on the LP/CARBONMONOXIDE DETECTOR ARE FLASHING AND IT IS BEEPING EVERY 40 SECONDS. Is that caused by the cabin batteries being dead?

If so, what kind of cabin batteries should I buy for my 2016 Vegas 24.1?

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 PM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The alarm will go off when the barriers die. As far as what to replace with. If you had good life out of the old ones I would just replace with the same.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:06 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Dead or dyeing batteries will cause the detector to beep. It is a warning to check for power. As to the dead batteries, I would go with something that requires less maintenance. With lead acid batteries, you have to check and add water on a regular basis. The off gassing of these batteries can also cause corrosion on the terminals and in the compartment. With AGM batteries you don't have to add water and there is next to no corrosion.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:52 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
My cabin batteries are showing that they are dead and all the lights on the LP/CARBONMONOXIDE DETECTOR ARE FLASHING AND IT IS BEEPING EVERY 40 SECONDS. Is that caused by the cabin batteries being dead?

Thank you in advance!
Agree with the battery advice given.
Might also reccommend that you remove the detector & check date printed on it, they typically have a 5 year life, yours is at least 6 years old depending on actual build date of your rv or how long the detector sat on the shelf before used.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post

Thank you in advance!
Yes, the detector freaks out when battery voltage is too low. The question really is: Why is the battery voltage too low? Are the batteries discharged but otherwise good? Or are they low on water? Or have they aged out and need replacement.

It doesn't do you any good to replace the batteries if you have other issues that caused the original batteries to become discharged.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:58 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Agree with the battery advice given.
Might also reccommend that you remove the detector & check date printed on it, they typically have a 5 year life, yours is at least 6 years old depending on actual build date of your rv or how long the detector sat on the shelf before used.
I just read the Safe T Alert brand has a shelf life of 10 years. Once put in service the unit is good for 5 years. I just replaced all the smoke detectors/co detectors in my home with Nest Protect, they talk to each other unit and will talk to you and tell you where the fire or co was detected, say the basement. It will also contact your phone if something is detected. They also light up so a person can see where they are going. If I didn't turn on a light in the house the basement is lit up as I near it and as I come up the stairs the next one lights up and then the main level and then the bedroom area upstairs. They also announce a test every month, which can be canceled if you want
Old 05-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #7

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes, the detector freaks out when battery voltage is too low. The question really is: Why is the battery voltage too low? Are the batteries discharged but otherwise good? Or are they low on water? Or have they aged out and need replacement.

It doesn't do you any good to replace the batteries if you have other issues that caused the original batteries to become discharged.
Rv batteries also have typically a 5 year lifespan even shorter on some of the cheap a## hybrid marine cranking batteries dealers typically install.
If they're flood lead acid batteries that the charge & water levels have not been properly maintained they won't last anywhere near 5 years.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-21-2022, 06:07 PM   #8

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I just read the Safe T Alert brand has a shelf life of 10 years. Once put in service the unit is good for 5 years
Not sure I'd put much faith in a detector that was 15 years old. I suppose the installer was to date it the day it was put into service, I definitely wouldn't have any faith in a rv assembly line worker doing that.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Rv batteries also have typically a 5 year lifespan even shorter on some of the cheap a## hybrid marine cranking batteries dealers typically install.
If they're flood lead acid batteries that the charge & water levels have not been properly maintained they won't last anywhere near 5 years.
That's true but we don't know how old the OP's batteries are or how they have been treated in the past. They may have been replaced last year and now they have a converter problem. Too many unknowns to automatically condemn the batteries and it looks like the OP has moved on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin batteries, carbon monoxide detector, lp gas detector