Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence
State: Michigan
THOR #28260
LP Tank filling

All of the LP filling stations require inspection of the tank certification stamps before filling, where have you found is best for filling onboard LP tanks mounted underneath and out site for inspection?

Old 10-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Take it to a propane company, Suburban, or Amer gas, they can certify for you.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
If you are talking about the 80 gallon, tank under the motor home. I am no expert. But I have read they are thicker, and buildt more durable than the 8-10 gallon tanks. That is why they do not require inspection.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:32 PM   #4

THOR #28260
Thank you I will do that
Old 10-16-2022, 11:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The tank should already have a manufactured/certification date stamped near the valve. It could be filled in with paint so look close.

If the tank is empty some places may want to purge it with Nitrogen before filling with LPG.

Did you buy the rig new without getting a full tank of LPG?
Old 10-17-2022, 12:28 AM   #6

THOR #28260
It's a Thor Sequence class B unit with an undermount tank, I am just now emptying the tank that came full when I bought it and getting ready to fill it. I had a U Haul store give me a hard time about an external tank so I started looking around this tank that up under the frame and realized there isn't a way to see the markings.

I'll try a few places around SW Michigan including a propane automotive gas station.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
ASME (Onboard) propane tanks do not require periodic certification like 5, 20 or 30 pound portable tanks do. You can fill your onboard tanks at many campgrounds, Camping World, many U-Haul dealers, Tractor Supply, and propane dealers like Suburban Propane. Some Truck stops like Pilot, FlyingJ, and LUVS also carry propane.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:55 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMI View Post
It's a Thor Sequence class B unit with an undermount tank, I am just now emptying the tank that came full when I bought it and getting ready to fill it. I had a U Haul store give me a hard time about an external tank so I started looking around this tank that up under the frame and realized there isn't a way to see the markings.

I'll try a few places around SW Michigan including a propane automotive gas station.
I was gonna stay on the sideline waiting on more information.

It is still not clear to me if this is new coach or how old?

I go to U Haul all the time and they have never asked what you state?

Is it possible to take a picture of the tank as to what they would see? No need to get under the bottom, because they are not gonna do that.

There would have to be something they see that makes them concerned? Is it rusted or something? No offense to anyone that works at U Haul and does propane, but I would not be surprised if they are only looking for a sticker that is required that may be missing? If so; just buy the sticker and stick it on.

If you have a Manchester tank they can arrange a pressure test if you have reason to believe it is defective. Not sure how long but the tanks can severely rust and thin the walls if not properly maintained. i.e. I repainted my tank at only 3 years old. It looked like crap. I transferred all of my stickers. I bet had I not transferred my stickers some U haul location may have denied to put propane in it?

Take a minute to get a picture and a tad bit more info may clear this up for you?

Here are some decals I refer to.

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/pr...ane-tank-decal
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:42 AM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You're dealing with a ground rat that doesn't know what he's talking about..he's been trained to check dates on ALL bottles that come in for refill. They (all pressure vessels) must be inspected and re-certified every 12 years. The date of the coach should be enough proof to the average...you just happened across an idiot.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #10

THOR #28260
thanks all! Seems like I just need to find the right place. I appreciate the education.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #11

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You're dealing with a ground rat that doesn't know what he's talking about..he's been trained to check dates on ALL bottles that come in for refill. They (all pressure vessels) must be inspected and re-certified every 12 years. The date of the coach should be enough proof to the average...you just happened across an idiot.

The gas type, tank construction and governing agency, Compressed Gas Association (CGA) or Department of Transportation (DOT), determine the recertification/requalification date.

DOT has specific propane requalification and retesting guidelines - https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf

ASME has no periodic requalififation unless you live in Canada then it is every 20 years.

I agree - ground rat not knowing what they were dealing with.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMI View Post
thanks all! Seems like I just need to find the right place. I appreciate the education.
I don't know or think you were at the wrong place? Maybe the wrong person, as The Gritz say a "Ground Rat" I use a U Haul location almost exclusively just like I do Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc.

I would be curious to learn what the next guy says, or learn how old your RV is and if you can get pictures of the tank? I am sure the Ground Rat saw something that freaked them out or was looking for a standard sticker they see all the time that was NOT there. Note: Until you get the confirmation I state, don't dismiss the Ground Rat entirely, a propane disaster is a terrible thing.

U hauls are always the most convenient for me and pricing is always published on their website. I go to 3 in my area off and on and they see me coming and take care of business. Once a attendant left the gas off. I freaked out one morning trying to use my hot water heater for a shower. But as rule; I watch them fill, but I don't go back in and check everything when they finish. Not that much to it. As long as my inside indicator says Full I am good to go.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Ace Hardware filled mine. The local Tractor Supply doesn't do RVs (surprisingly). Call around before heading out to save driving all over.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I agreed with dk here. NOT saying you do, but if a 20+ year old rig pulls in with a rusty LP tank with no discernable labels... ??

My go-to propane filling station is a local co-op where they deal with large rigs/tanks all the time. I personally get out and turn off my tank. When he's done filling, I turn it back on. Done.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:29 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
The odds of finding anyone that actually knows much about propane and propane tank filling and other requirements is very low. If you have an ASME tank the nameplate is supposed to be visible. Propane regulations that have been adopted by virtually every state is NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 58 - Liquified Petroleum Gas Code. https://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-58-Liq...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

ASME tanks need to be inspected either to NBIC (National Board Inspection Code) or API 510 standards. NBIC requires inspection at half the remaining life or 10 years, whichever is less.

If you cannot see any nameplate on your propane tank then it is a manufacturing error on the part of the motorhome manufacturer. It is possible, though not probable if you purchased your motorhome new, that you don't even have a code (ASME or DOT) compliant tank.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #17

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
Never had a problem. I just take it to a "Loves", "Flying J" truck stop.
Just call and check if they have Propane before going.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:49 PM   #18

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Just curious, what is the year and make of your rv. If you have answered this my apologies .
Old 10-23-2022, 12:58 AM   #19

THOR #19346
I live in northern Michigan and everyone uses propane for heat (or wood). I had to scour all of these locations andn only found one capable of filing my class a motorhome. call propane companies until you find a location staffed and capable. most locations are not staffed.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:07 AM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Many campgrounds like KOAs can fill it.