Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #9164
Fridge Questions

Took our Chateau 23U out of winter storage, I had ran the propane tank empty and after filling it the fridge does not run on propane does it need to be bled? Oh might mention I am at 6,700 ft altitude.
The Stove, Water Heater and wall heater all worked right off. I had this issue before and after two or three days it started working. It is in my driveway now and there is a pretty good slope could that be affecting it?
So I went ahead and hooked to shore power from my garage and left the fridge in auto mode overnight. Checked this morning and still not working guess I need to check for a reset somewhere? Any info on where to look?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Absorption fridge needs to be rather close to level in order to work... Level the coach and then see if it will fire off..
And yes it will take a bit of time and trying to refire for the air to bleed out of the line to the fridge..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

THOR #10354
Absorption issues

Yes, the units are quite sensitive to being on the level. Take off the outside panel and feel for warmth on the right, lower side where the gas flame/electricity heats the refrigerant liquid. If the warmth is there then it is probably the leveling issue....OR IT'S BROKE.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck with getting things fired back up, and functioning properly!
I'll keep a couple of fingers crossed for you...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
fridge,

the problems with higher altitude is the pressure of the gas , in short the flame may miss the temp control device and shut down, so make sure the flame hits the thermocouple.

also the propane fridge needs a small amount of electricity for controls, un plug the fridge ( should look like 110v plug) and let it sit for 20-30 min and then plug it back in, the electrical controls need to be reset
Old 04-10-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
the problems with higher altitude is the pressure of the gas , in short the flame may miss the temp control device and shut down, so make sure the flame hits the thermocouple.

also the propane fridge needs a small amount of electricity for controls, un plug the fridge ( should look like 110v plug) and let it sit for 20-30 min and then plug it back in, the electrical controls need to be reset
Took our rig out west a couple of weeks ago..once we reached elevations above 5k, frig would not work on gas..after we got down to lower elevations, everything ok..so our unit was very sensitive to elevation changes.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We've had this happen numerous times. Try this: Unplug the shore power, turn off the fridge, light one of the burners on the stove, turn on the fridge to auto.

Altitude and level can certainly cause issues. You had some good suggestions on that. Since your LP ran dry, you have a good chance you have an air lock. Having the gas flowing to the stove has always cleared that issue for us. My bet is that it will clear your issue, too.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #9164
Got her working

Thanks for all the responses. I pulled the plug, moved to a more level area, ran the stove, heater, water heater and now both propane and electric are working.
Thanks again, Great Forum you have here!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!

... And cool!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: Colorado
THOR #10498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
We've had this happen numerous times. Try this: Unplug the shore power, turn off the fridge, light one of the burners on the stove, turn on the fridge to auto.

Altitude and level can certainly cause issues. You had some good suggestions on that. Since your LP ran dry, you have a good chance you have an air lock. Having the gas flowing to the stove has always cleared that issue for us. My bet is that it will clear your issue, too.
Yep- Always had to "bleed" the lines after pulling the ole 5th wheel out of storage. Same as you, lit a burner on the stove and waited for that to run cleanly, then switched fridge to LP. It would typically light after the 2nd or 3rd attempt and then I was good all summer long.

I am also at altitude ... live at 6600' and most travels take us over several high passes. Never had an issue with propane at altitude.
2016 Polaris RZR 1000 HLE
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Funhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is there any adjustments in the system, that'll allow you to move the igniter closer to the flame path?