Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #27234
Magnum ME2012 2000W Inverter with 100 Amp Charger no flow thru ac

Old 06-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbci2015 View Post
Did you turn it on?
Old 06-30-2022, 12:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
"no flow through ac"?
Batteries charged?
Breaker not tripped/fuse not blown?
Does it have an ATS?
No output from batteries? When connected to SP? Both?
When did it last work correctly?
Changed the batteries lately?

So many unknowns.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

THOR #27234
Batteries are fully charged and respond well to load test, inverter works from batteries, charger does not work from SP. It’s worked perfectly up until returning from camping trip a week ago plugged into shore power and discovered a week later batteries were really low and SP plug ground wire pulled loose in plug. Repaired plug wires and have ac power to inverter but no flow thru to coach or charger
Old 06-30-2022, 01:51 AM   #5

THOR #27234
Quote:
Batteries are fully charged and respond well to load test, inverter works from batteries, charger does not work from SP. It’s worked perfectly up until returning from camping trip a week ago plugged into shore power and discovered a week later batteries were really low and SP plug ground wire pulled loose in plug. Repaired plug wires and have ac power to inverter but no flow thru to coach or charger
Ats works properly
Old 06-30-2022, 03:36 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Ats works properly
Is Salesman Switch in Use Mode?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:40 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is Salesman Switch in Use Mode?
Inverter is usually connected directly to batteries. Use/Store has no bearing whatsoever on the inverter.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:01 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Inverter is usually connected directly to batteries. Use/Store has no bearing whatsoever on the inverter.
I thought he was saying his inverter was working but he his charger was not on? I was just thinking that he may not have charger on because he had switch in store mode? He has pretty much eliminated every other possible option.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #9

THOR #27234
Have checked in store mode and use mode. Remote panel only works on batteries. Seems a problem on the AC electrical side of the charger. Have taken it out (extremely difficult)and taking to Service Center to check it out.

Correction from earlier statement and inverter does not receive AC power, only works from DC power
Old 06-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Ats works properly
Your description of your problem is confusing "No Flow Thru AC"

No flow thru AC would mean when you are on Shore Power, the circuits wired to the Inverter output would not be working. That would mean the Inverter / Chargers built-in ATS would not be working (not the coach ATS, which is a separate device).

So if you say the ATS is working, that means you have AC on shore power to the circuits wired to the Inverter output and then when there is no shore power the Inverter is automatically providing AC using the house batteries.

Your batteries not charging is really a DC problem if you have AC on the Inverter output circuit. The Charger is not taking the AC and converting it to DC for the house batteries to charge.

A Converter / Charger is a little easier to troubleshoot because it only does one thing.... converts AC to DC to provide power to the 12V appliances in the coach and charge the batteries. An Inverter / Charger has multiple components that take AC and converters it to DC for battery charging and it takes DC and coverts it to AC for critical AC appliances like a fridge when there is no shore power. It also has a built-in ATS that keeps AC flowing to those critical appliances whether you are on shore power or battery power.

I would be checking the Charger Settings to make sure something didn't change. I have a Xantrex Inverter / Charger and the Charger cannot be turned off. You can only change the charging parameters based on the battery type.

I would also get your meter out and read the house battery voltage with and without shore power. If you are seeing no change in voltage on and off shore power, it would seem that the charger circuit is not working and it is possible it crapped out.

Now if the Inverter / Charger is not switching over automatically when you remove shore power AND the batteries are not charging when you are on shore power, then I would check the fuse or bussman breaker that should be installed on the positive battery cable running from the Inverter to the house batteries. If the fuse blew / breaker tripped, that would explain these two conditions.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #11

THOR #27234
I have opened and observe ATS working properly and traced with meter. AC is reaching input side of inverter but not output side. I have no power from shore power in the coach. No other settings have been changed. I have checked all breakers and fuses and all are good
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
I have opened and observe ATS working properly and traced with meter. AC is reaching input side of inverter but not output side. I have no power from shore power in the coach. No other settings have been changed. I have checked all breakers and fuses and all are good

Ok.... this is a better description of your problem. A couple of questions.

1. You have actually opened up the Magnum and observed its ATS?
I'm looking at the Magnum ME2012 2000W right now online and I don't see anyway to open it up to see it's built-in ATS functioning. I know on my Xantrex I cannot do this either. The coach ATS does have a removable cover most Inverters do not.

2. Are you actually looking at the coach ATS and not the Magnum's built-in ATS? The coach likely has its own ATS if you have a generator.

3. Have you gotten a meter out and verified you have 120V on the input wiring going into the Magnum per the attached diagram (the yellow arrows in the diagram at the Magnum itself)? It sounds like you have so that points to a problem with the Magnum's built-in ATS.

4. If you have no AC output from the Magnum under shore power, do you have AC power from it without shore power? If you do have power on the output of the Magnum when there is no shore power, but you do not have AC when on shore power, it sounds like the built-in ATS is stuck in the "Invert" mode. This would explain you do not have AC when on shore power and your house batteries running down.... because the Inverter is always using the house batteries and they are never charging because the built-in ATS is not switching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.56.38 AM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	38391  
Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Have checked in store mode and use mode. Remote panel only works on batteries. Seems a problem on the AC electrical side of the charger. Have taken it out (extremely difficult)and taking to Service Center to check it out.

Correction from earlier statement and inverter does not receive AC power, only works from DC power
When you removed the Inverter were all the internal connections tight?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #14

THOR #9178
Quote:
What is your AC input selection showing?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:07 AM   #15

THOR #27234
All connections are tight.

1&2 coach ats
3 yes
4yes
Old 06-30-2022, 11:10 AM   #16

THOR #27234

I’m not sure where you want me to check that. My control panel only reads on battery/inverter power not AC at this time
Old 06-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
All connections are tight.

1&2 coach ats
3 yes
4yes
Then based on your answers to my questions, the problem is with the Magnum's built-in ATS.

When you have AC coming into the Magnum Inverter, the Magnum's built-in ATS is not switching back over to allow the AC to pass through the Inverter to the output side AND charge the batteries.

The Magnum's built-in ATS is staying switched over to the house batteries so the batteries are not able to charge and they eventually die because they are always providing power to the Inverter when on shore power.

According to the manual, there are only two things you can try. An Inverter Reset and a Power Reset ( a hard reset). See attached....

You can call Magnum to see if there is anything to try if the reset doesn't work. But I think your Inverter needs to be replaced if the reset doesn't fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 7.14.43 AM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	38394  
Old 06-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #18

THOR #27234
Did perform both types of reset
I actually traced AC to the circuit board in the inverter to the circuit board and have power on the incoming side of a couple relays on the board but cannot find it leaving the relays. I’m wondering if the power interruption/possible arc could have taken those out
Old 06-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Did perform both types of reset
I actually traced AC to the circuit board in the inverter to the circuit board and have power on the incoming side of a couple relays on the board but cannot find it leaving the relays. I’m wondering if the power interruption/possible arc could have taken those out
Based on your voltage tests and the resets not working, it means the built-in ATS is shot.

You can call Magnum to see if they offer a repair service if it is not under warranty (and warranty may not cover a power surge event). If not, you will need to purchase a new Inverter / Charger.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #20

THOR #9178
Quote:

I’m not sure where you want me to check that. My control panel only reads on battery/inverter power not AC at this time
Sounds like Judge has your situation figured out

The display will show 50, 30, 20 amp incoming if you're connected. You can manually change it also