Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #8896
Kidde Fire Extinguishers

Check your units for the recalled extinguishers...My 2017 Outlaw 29h had 2. Kidde's web site will instruct you on how to obtain replacement...<br />
Kidde Fire Safety Products: Shop Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers

Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #2

THOR #8079
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Yes, thank you for the reminder! We have one in our 2017 Challenger. Also discovered two in the house, two in our personal watercraft, and three in the garage, all recalled.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wish that I had checked mine, before dropping it off at the dealership...
Now I'll have to do this in the Spring.

But thanks for the reminder!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Kidde Extinguisher

Thanks.... Ours in our '16 Axis was recalled. Went to the web site and a new one is supposed to be on the way. Funny that I checked this issue months back and all was okay. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
THOR #6181
Mercy, spent almost 30 minutes on phone for 2 units!!! Sounded like guy took all info on paper and then confirmed, and then he ask me to hold while he input it all. Seems like to me as big as this is and how much it costs them, they would have built a website to input info by consumer. It isn't that expensive just for data collection. Then they could confirm data electronically and sent an email back confirming or denying. I heard all kinds of folks in background doing the same thing he is doing!!!
Worst part, my RV is in shop and I'll get to do this all over again when I get it back!!!! I forgot about the extinguisher in it!!! Sorry for the little rant, Dennis.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Mercy, spent almost 30 minutes on phone for 2 units!!! Sounded like guy took all info on paper and then confirmed, and then he ask me to hold while he input it all. Seems like to me as big as this is and how much it costs them, they would have built a website to input info by consumer. It isn't that expensive just for data collection. Then they could confirm data electronically and sent an email back confirming or denying. I heard all kinds of folks in background doing the same thing he is doing!!!
Worst part, my RV is in shop and I'll get to do this all over again when I get it back!!!! I forgot about the extinguisher in it!!! Sorry for the little rant, Dennis.
hmmm... I did mine all online - and got a message that my replacement was being shipped...
Start here (found with google) - in step 3 select the correct kind of extinguisher and it will prompt you for the rest...
https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Did mine last week. It was a very quick process with entering a model number, serial number, and date code. The web page has changed since then and now also asks for an approximate year purchased. Maybe they got a few more replacement requests than they were anticipating? The recall includes 40 MILLION units. That's a lot of extinguishers to replace!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #9

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Did mine last week. It was a very quick process with entering a model number, serial number, and date code. The web page has changed since then and now also asks for an approximate year purchased. Maybe they got a few more replacement requests than they were anticipating? The recall includes 40 MILLION units. That's a lot of extinguishers to replace!
I never got as far as their website so I gave up and called them in. Maybe activity is starting to slow now as I just brought it up to the page to enter info. I'll bookmark it so I can back to it when I have to do the RV unit. That is if it is a plastic handle!!! Not even sure of that yet. Thx for the reminder to go back and try again.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Just as a matter of safety, you should REPLACE your fire extinguisher every 2 years (at minimum). On boats this is a Coast Guard requirement. It may show sufficient charge. But the contents will lose their effectiveness.

The older units were rechargeable. The new plastic ones aren’t and cost the manufacturer less.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Just as a matter of safety, you should REPLACE your fire extinguisher every 2 years (at minimum). On boats this is a Coast Guard requirement. It may show sufficient charge. But the contents will lose their effectiveness.
Did you leave a 1 (one) out before the "2". Never heard of a 2 year replacement requirement anywhere, it's certainly NOT required by the Coast Guard rules or any other statute that I have ever seen.

Since most are CO2 extinguishers, how do they lose their effectiveness if that haven't leaked the charge?

"According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards adopted by most federal and state safety agencies, a non-rechargeable fire extinguisher must be removed from service, discarded and replaced with a new unit every 12 years, unless the manufacturer specifies an earlier expiration date."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I apologize and bow to your wisdom.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #13

THOR #6181
I see the quote from Tfryman and believe it to be true. But I do question, for informational purposes, why would Kidde be required to replaced extinguishers from before 2012?
The recall states "The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017".
Apparently if outdated they out lived their life and never had an issue o were used. Wouldn't they?
Just curious now!!!! Thx, Dennis and learning more about this!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3441
Affected Fire Extinguisher in 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

FYI.. Just checked the website and turns out that mine is an affected unit as well. Thanks Bama57 for the reminder!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	7712  
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #15

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I see the quote from Tfryman and believe it to be true. But I do question, for informational purposes, why would Kidde be required to replaced extinguishers from before 2012?
The recall states "The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017".
Apparently if outdated they out lived their life and never had an issue o were used. Wouldn't they?
Just curious now!!!! Thx, Dennis and learning more about this!!!
Excuse me but my fingers get ahead of me sometimes. I was thinking 12 years only and typed 2012 instead of 12 years earlier which is 2005. Excuse my self inflicted confusion.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I filed my recall on November 12 and haven't received a replacement yet. Called Kidde today and was told that they are "on backorder" with no expected availability date. I'll put the recalled one back in the coach and hope not to need to find out if it works or not. At least its in winter storage and hopefully Kidde will get their act together before spring. Otherwise I'll have to buy a replacement.

The extinguisher provided by Thor is only Class B and C. I guess an ABC extinguisher was too expensive for them. I might replace the provided one as just one more of the many upgrades you need to add to a Thor coach.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I sent my information in on 11/9 and received my replacement on 12/13. So they must be getting closer to sending you yours.. don’t forget you have to send the defective one back. All the paperwork is in the box with the replacement.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #18

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: North Carolina
THOR #9452
I did mine online Thanksgiving Day. I got mine last Thursday, then for being so nice, they sent me another one that I got today.

Christmas Present?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 AM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmac View Post
I sent my information in on 11/9 and received my replacement on 12/13. So they must be getting closer to sending you yours.. don’t forget you have to send the defective one back. All the paperwork is in the box with the replacement.
I lost the paperwork to send the old one back....Oooooops.....
Old 12-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #20

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: North Carolina
THOR #9452
Kelly sent the first one back today from her work. I haven't opened the gift one yet.