Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Mapping program apps

Looking for suggestions on what mapping programs fellow RVers are using. Planning 2 - 5 day trips out of Southern Maryland at first and eventually trips across country. What are you using and why?

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Mapping

Google Maps and Waze both provide real-time navigation updates. I've switched to them from my Garmin GPS just for that reason.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Google Maps and Waze both provide real-time navigation updates. I've switched to them from my Garmin GPS just for that reason.
Locknut, I also use Google Maps and Waze. Do you have them setup some way so you can see the maps hands off? By the way, autocorrect tried to change your username to Coconut[emoji16] My only issue with Waze is that frequently she doesn't speak until it's too late to follow the directions, so I like to also watch the map.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use google maps to plan out the trip beforehand and then the RV's nav system during the route (crappy Jensen JRV 215..mostly just use it for the map and the logging). Since I plan the route beforehand I already know where I'm going (including using Google Streetview for key navigation points so I'm already familiar with the intersections at hand--and if you really want to get familiar there is a Google Streetview app for GearVR (Visio Places) that makes you feel like you are standing in the middle of the intersection LOL).

We also make use of the iExit App while on the road to find gas stations, food, etc. without having to touch the nav.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Locknut, I also use Google Maps and Waze. Do you have them setup some way so you can see the maps hands off? By the way, autocorrect tried to change your username to Coconut[emoji16] My only issue with Waze is that frequently she doesn't speak until it's too late to follow the directions, so I like to also watch the map.
I use Google Maps on an iPad 90% of the time...switching to Waze at times for specific information (traffic, etc.) I bought a mount for my iPad so that I can put it on the table between the front seats, angled toward the drivers seat...it has ATT cell service. I also use it to Bluetooth audio to the radio at the same time.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Google Maps here as well; I'm planning on getting a new GPS for the rig in the Spring, so all bets are off...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
We plan the trip ahead with MAPS from the iPad or computer. The Garmin handles it all on the road with real time traffic alerts, alternate routes, restaurant, rest area and fuel notices. When I was pulling a fifth wheel I would locate all truck stops on a map for fuel management but with the class C I can fuel anywhere that has diesel.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
Garmin RV760. I set my length and height and it will route me around low overpasses and restricted roads....saved us more than a few times!

I am not a fan of Google maps....we have used it a few times with just the tow vehicle and it has routed us incorrectly - "make a u-turn". Not a fan.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Thanks for all the replays and suggestions. I was looking at RV Trip Wizard which has many features that I think would be useful in planning a trip. Has anyone any experience with this or a similar app?
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #10

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Thanks for all the replays and suggestions. I was looking at RV Trip Wizard which has many features that I think would be useful in planning a trip. Has anyone any experience with this or a similar app?
I just used RV Trip Wizard for planning my trip from Illinois to California and back. It worked OK. You put in your preferences and travel settings, such as average speed, estimated gas prices (averaged about $2.30/gallon on our trip, low $1.95 in Oklahoma, about 2.29 to 2.50 everyplace else except CA, where it was $3.00+. We were able to avoid purchasing it in California by filling up in Quartzsite, Arizona going both ways), roads to avoid (interstates, tolls, etc.), kind of RV parks we wanted to display (Good Sam, KOA, Passport, state/national parks, military, etc.). It was fairly easy to use once I got it setup, but it does not have any GPS functions. Good for planning, but not for navigation. That wasn't a biggie for me since I made my living as a navigator for several years. It works similar to Good Sam's trip planner, but I thought the setup was simpler.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewacowboy View Post
Garmin RV760. I set my length and height and it will route me around low overpasses and restricted roads....saved us more than a few times!

I am not a fan of Google maps....we have used it a few times with just the tow vehicle and it has routed us incorrectly - "make a u-turn". Not a fan.
The RV series from Garmin, are the ones that are showing the brightest on my radar...
Can you take their suggested route, and "adjust" it for your own preferences?
Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Colorado
THOR #11614
Google maps view thru radio screen?

Is there a way to have an iPhone display show thru the Radio's display?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruarto View Post
There is but you'll be disappointed with how it looks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #14

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruarto View Post
Ruarto, not sure which RV or radio you have, but my 2017 ACE 30.3 has the Axxera AV615BHM and I can display my iPhone on the radio display. I purchased an iPhone HDMI adapter. I plug it into the charging port of my iPhone and the other end of the adapter has an HDMI output and a mini usb port. I run an HDMI cable from the adapter HDMI output to the HDMI port on my ACE's dashboard and my iPhone charging cable from the other output port on the adapter to the USB port on the dashboard (this keeps the phone charged because the GPS function on your phone discharges it pretty rapidly). Next on your radio Home screen, chose Dual Mirror, and it should mirror what's on your iPhone. Hope this helps.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I'm with Jamie on this, the screen is too far from the line of sight down the road. The screen is too small and not aimed properly for this function.
I also use the Garmin 760RV, and set it for each leg of the trip. In planning, I use an older software, MS Streets & Trips to map out the orchestrated parts of our trips. Google Maps or the Good Sam trip planner are easier to access. The Garmin will let me know if the road won't be good for our rig's height and width.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mr Sunshine...
What are the differences between Garmin's RV 760, and 770 models?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
On iPad, pre-trip, InRoute. In addition to being like other route-mapping apps, it has RV parks and other RV-friendly waypoints that you can program at specific intervals (XX miles, 1/3 of a leg) and find RV parks
On the road, Garmin nüvi with POI app for low-overhead warnings; and on iPad or smartphone, ParkAdvisor. Once it detects that you are on a road, it shows RV-friendly filling stations, parks, waysides, and other RV-friendly stops which really helps when making sure you exit a highway to a service station that can accommodate your rig
Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mr Sunshine...
What are the differences between Garmin's RV 760, and 770 models?

Bob, the 770 is the newer, current version, it has a little bigger screen and the ability to do voice commands. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.1
THOR #4503
We also use Google Maps along with GPS. I also refer to Rand Mcnally Truckers Atlas.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Google Maps on iPad Mini. My Garmin hasn’t left the house in years, although in my case I don’t need RV specific navigation (not that my Garmin has that capability anyway).

The Mini’s screen size works well for me. My iPhone is too small and wife’s regular iPad too large. The Mini is just right, and much larger than my Garmin, so easier to see and also use.