Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2018, 03:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Whirlpool refridgerator 48 degrees

The Whirlpool fridge in our 2017 Windsport has been giving us fits. If I understand it correctly, a real "residential" (the one in your house) has separate cooling systems for the freezer and food section but the "residential" fridge in our camper has one cooling system for the freezer with an air vent down into the food section. The freezer is working fine but the food section only gets to about 48 and stays there no matter where you set the controls. I can feel air blowing down into the food section but apparently it's not enough. Any ideas?

WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
The Whirlpool fridge in our 2017 Windsport has been giving us fits. If I understand it correctly, a real "residential" (the one in your house) has separate cooling systems for the freezer and food section but the "residential" fridge in our camper has one cooling system for the freezer with an air vent down into the food section. The freezer is working fine but the food section only gets to about 48 and stays there no matter where you set the controls. I can feel air blowing down into the food section but apparently it's not enough. Any ideas?

The fridge in my house only has one cooling system.There is a small dial that you can adjust to divert the cold air from the freezer into the fridge.Sometimes it is hidden behind plastic covers usually in the center rear towards the bottom of the freezer.Residential fridges also take longer than rv fridges to cool.Once you get the setting to where you think it should be you should let it cool and check temps for 24 hrs before making further adjustments.After you initially get it set it should be fine after that.Just had my House fridge worked on,brand new and was freezing everything.This is the info the tech gave me after replacing a few parts and it is now working fine.PS it is a Whirlpool also.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:

My 2 year Miramar also has the same issue with its Whirlpool refrigerator While I’ve adjusted both dials, the food section has never cooled to what you would expect from the marketing hype of being residential. I also welcome input even recommended replacement frig that are comparable to residential.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Check the seal around the refrigerator door. If enough cooling is getting to it as evidenced by the freezer section working correctly, then too much heat must be entering the refrigerator section.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

THOR #1592
Most RV Pros will tell you to go with an RV Fridge and not residential.I assume people think residential is better or maybe because they are larger they are wanted.If you still have problems after you have made adjustments and waited long enough to have the temp stabilize ,then you probably need a tech to look at it and possibly replace some parts.They are very simple to work on.Everything is plug and play these days.Look up whirlpool fridge problems on the internet and you can probably figure it out by yourself.Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

THOR #1592
one more thing to check in the freezer is the styrofoam behind the switch could be blocking airflow to the fridge section.Things are not made as well as they used to be.You can look it up on the internet and it will explain what to do.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:26 AM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
After receiving everyone’s advice, the Fryman’s are spot on. I tested the seal using a dollar bill, however any bill works. The bill slid out with no resistance for the freezer and the fridge on Saturday. Until I receive the correct gaskets for the door, I substituted door & window weather stripping tape (1/4”x1/2”) that I picked from Lowe’s. The difference in the last 24hours. Freezer dropped from 32 degrees to 7 degrees, and the fridge dropped from 58 degrees to 44 degrees. Will continue to monitor and will place a battery operated fan in the fridge this week as well divert more cold air from freezer to fridge. Hopefully, changing out the capacitor will not be required. The dollar bill has much more resistance, as a result of the weather stripping. Thank you all for the sound advice.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #8

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Res fridge

I agree about the dollar bill test but up here in Canada we don’t have any, so I used a twenty and I think I got way better opinion. I always say you get what you pay for.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Model: Fourwind Super C
State: Florida
THOR #11938
Quote:
Just had mine fixed on our 2015 Fourwinds Super C. Fridg has an electronic fan control thats bad. $260 later I have a cold fridg. The control is in freezer behind the panel where the vents are. Took the tech about 10 minutes to fix it Tech stated that the on and off from use to storage is hard on them and they corrode easy, recommended that I leave it on all the time if possible. I dont have elect while storing, so I will have to take my chances I guess.