Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #18070
2021 Thor coaches

Anyone has seen any specs of any 2021 models coming out?

I heard they are going with the V8 on the class C

Old 02-21-2020, 01:10 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I heard that they are planning on replacing the V10 with the new V8 but I though it was going to be across the board and not just the class C.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:54 AM   #3

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Turbo diesel

Had a salesman tell me Thor is dropping the turbo diesel 5 cylinder for a gas pot. Dirty b%&$*rds. Love my little power stroke.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingwithourgemini View Post
Had a salesman tell me Thor is dropping the turbo diesel 5 cylinder for a gas pot. Dirty b%&$*rds. Love my little power stroke.
Ford dropped the 5-cylinder just like they dropped the V10. There’s nothing Thor can do about it. The new diesel will be a smaller 2.0L 4-cylinder.

I’m guessing that the new Transit gas engine will be the EcoBoost V6 which has a lot more power than the diesel. Fuel economy just won’t be as good.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:14 AM   #5

THOR #17351
Reply to chance

Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense that it would be a ford change up. The gas may have more horsepower but not torque.
On another item, does anyone know the cost for a replacement carefree freestyle evolution awning to fit my Gemini?
Old 02-22-2020, 03:30 AM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense that it would be a ford change up. The gas may have more horsepower but not torque.
.....cut....
Actually, the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 has more power and more torque than either the 3.2L outgoing diesel, or the new 2.0L diesel.

Much more importantly, the EcoBoost makes maximum torque at a higher RPM, which means it can be in a lower gear (there’re 10 speeds) so that even more torque reaches the drive wheels. It’s not even close.

For what it’s worth, I’m not promoting the EcoBoost. I don’t need or would want an EcoBoost V6 over the standard naturally aspirated gasoline V6. The standard V6 has more than enough power for my needs, and torque isn’t that meaningful to me as long as the transmission has enough gears to allow the engine to operate at the needed RPM.

Some drivers like low RPM torque, but I prefer useable power.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:02 AM   #7

THOR #17351
Reply to chance

Interesting facts. You know a lot of good info. I am one of those low rpm torque guys. I try to chase that good gas mileage being from Canada and high prices.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Fuel economy comes from reducing BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) which is not necessarily at lowest RPMs and or higher torque. There’s such a thing as overdoing it.

Ideally you’d size engine so it operates most of the time in the bulls eye area of BSFC map. The problem is that if you do that (which often leads to smaller engines), the transmission will need to downshift when extra load is placed on engine; as when accelerating or going up a hill. An occasional downshift doesn’t bother me, but is does most drivers.

I think a major reason for new 10-speed auto transmissions is to make shift increments smaller so they are not as noticeable and thus annoying to drivers.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Fuel economy comes from reducing BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) which is not necessarily at lowest RPMs and or higher torque. There’s such a thing as overdoing it.

Ideally you’d size engine so it operates most of the time in the bulls eye area of BSFC map. The problem is that if you do that (which often leads to smaller engines), the transmission will need to downshift when extra load is placed on engine; as when accelerating or going up a hill. An occasional downshift doesn’t bother me, but is does most drivers.

I think a major reason for new 10-speed auto transmissions is to make shift increments smaller so they are not as noticeable and thus annoying to drivers.

My GMC Terrain has a turbocharged 4 cylinder (start/stop) engine and a 9 speed transmission. The transmission is a marvel of smooth shifting technology and is always in just the right gear. But it’s really vexing to drive. To go up just about any hill there is a noticeable turbo lag and a downshift of two or three gears. It’s a very busy drivetrain. I expect most drivers would quickly get used to it and I did too - until I get in my “old fashioned” Jeep with its straight six and a four speed transmission. SO much nicer to drive. Of course, the gas mileage is at least a third less, but I like the trade off!
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
F53 chassis v8

I did read that Thor will be using the new 2012 Ford F53 chassis with the 7 liter Godzilla V8 across the board. It will have more horsepower and more tork than the outgoing V10. I believe it will be mated to an 8 speed or 10 speed transmission.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Alaska
THOR #14358
2021 Thor Compass & Gemini Models

Talked with a Thor Sales Rep. he said that both the Compass & Gemini for 2021 with the Ford drive train will be 4 wheel drive, 2.7L EcoBoost V6, 325HP, 400 Ft.Lb. Torque. They are keeping the TW model and adding a TE model (which will have the murphy bed design)
This is exciting for me!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Cwp

THOR #17639
Quote:
On another item, does anyone know the cost for a replacement carefree freestyle evolution awning to fit my Gemini?
New unit is actually a V8 7.3L on the F43 chassis. Its the same hit developed for the update F250. Slightly more torque but it come in on the dyne way way early.

Thor dealers are reporting early unit will ship May time as the clear the old V10 triton units out.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwp View Post
New unit is actually a V8 7.3L on the F43 chassis. Its the same hit developed for the update F250. Slightly more torque but it come in on the dyne way way early.

Thor dealers are reporting early unit will ship May time as the clear the old V10 triton units out.
F43 chassis?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Maybe an F-43 is a future product opportunity similar to the old Class 4 Freightliner MT-45.

Seriously, it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea if Ford had a chassis other than the (van based) stripped E-450 for Class A motorhomes and step vans under 16,000-pound GVWR. Various factory reps have told me at RV shows that they don’t expect to ever build Class As on E-Series stripped chassis like Thor did the Axis/Vegas.

A Class 4 stripped chassis with straight frame rails similar to F-53, except with wider rear spring spacing for added stability, etc. could work nicely. Ford has the F-450 wide-track coil-spring suspensión that could make ride even better, and include wider commercial tires and aluminum wheels for a great look and even softer ride.

Picture below is of a Freightliner converted to propane for a UPS study. An F-43 similar to this, but with Ford gas engine and wide-track coil spring front suspension from F-450, could allow building smaller Class As. Just takes money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E29779B-0AE1-4EF9-A199-4C9F5F19ED00.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	22722