RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Member
 
woody's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace evo 30.1
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 70
THOR #2698
Misadventure #2

(for #1 refer to thread "oopsie"). I started to think something was not quite right two nights ago when we started to trip the circuit breaker at the pedestal. I wasn't doing anything differently than the usual set up. AC on, hot water tank on, fridge on and a few other appliances. Never had a problem before. This morning while staying in Dodge City, Kansas I was up and about getting the coffee ready when I noticed a burning smell coming from the bedroom area. Suddenly the DW yells there's smoke coming from under the bed. I ran outside and shut the main breaker down. I propped the bed compartment up and did a little investigating. Sure enough, two wires in the main junction box were pulled together too tight so a connection could be made. Over time the rubbing back and forth caused the insulation to wear causing a short which in turn led to high resistance and overheated circuits. Thank God this happened in the morning and not at night when we were sleeping, the results might have been quite tragic otherwise. A great big shout out to Kinsey Automotive in Dodge City, KS, who despite being quite busy, took us in and fixed the problem and checked the other wiring as well. As others have said on this forum it's a good idea to have your wiring checked.
__________________

__________________
Woody
Mass State Police (Ret)
Dudley,MA
2016 Thor Ace 30.1
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,865
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that it was no worse than this.. Kudos to the folks who got you back up and running!
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Cason61's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 628
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
(for #1 refer to thread "oopsie"). I started to think something was not quite right two nights ago when we started to trip the circuit breaker at the pedestal. I wasn't doing anything differently than the usual set up. AC on, hot water tank on, fridge on and a few other appliances. Never had a problem before. This morning while staying in Dodge City, Kansas I was up and about getting the coffee ready when I noticed a burning smell coming from the bedroom area. Suddenly the DW yells there's smoke coming from under the bed. I ran outside and shut the main breaker down. I propped the bed compartment up and did a little investigating. Sure enough, two wires in the main junction box were pulled together too tight so a connection could be made. Over time the rubbing back and forth caused the insulation to wear causing a short which in turn led to high resistance and overheated circuits. Thank God this happened in the morning and not at night when we were sleeping, the results might have been quite tragic otherwise. A great big shout out to Kinsey Automotive in Dodge City, KS, who despite being quite busy, took us in and fixed the problem and checked the other wiring as well. As others have said on this forum it's a good idea to have your wiring checked.
Yeah, on top, foward of the hydraulic pump for the slide (in the battery compartment) for the 34f, there is a 15 amp fuse there and it supplies power to run the slide. Ok, I had to change the batteries in the compartment to the right in the compartment and I forget why I decided to check all the wiring there, but when I did one wire pulled out of the little plastic fuse box. Had to cut away part of that little box to make a connection again and as soon as I could I bought another little fuse box and wired it in. PITA! But after that the slide worked fine. Oh yeah, when I was wiring the new box in, one of the wires touched the frame and there went the fuse so I had to replace that too. Those fold out camp fire stools? Make good stands for working there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Thor RV Forum mobile app
__________________
Cason61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×