Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #15976
Question 28Z Class C propane tank can't be filled

Hello. I have a 2020 Thor Four Winds 28Z class C with onboard propane tank. The tank was filled by the dealer when we took possession of the coach in May 2020. We did not use a "ton" of propane through the year however the gauge said we were down 1/4 to 1/3 tank so I took it in to be refilled before winterizing and storing it. The propane vendor said the tank would not accept more than about a 1/2 lb before auto shut off occurred. They did vent the tank prior/during. We've tried to get it filled at two other locations just in case there was an equipment issue at the first location. Same problem there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the tank won't fill and what we should do to address it? Thanks much!

Old 02-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
First: No propane tank can be filled beyond 80% of it's stated capacity.
Second: your gauges could simply be off by that amount.
Is it possible for the connections to have some sort of obstruction in it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michanmldr View Post

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the tank won't fill and what we should do to address it? Thanks much!
So, are you gonna believe a $10 gauge or two different techs?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

THOR #15976
Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to let you know that we're complete newbies as of May 2020 so have never RV'd before then. We used the propane through the year for cooking (blackstone grill primarily) and twice for overnight heat. I did know about the 80% fill rule but since the internal wall meter said full when we took possession (likely calibrated to show 80%=full) and now says 3/4 full shouldn't I be able to add propane?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At 3/4 full: it should take about 4 lbs. worth of propane...
But RV gauges have always been a source of frustration...

Cue the Song...

Old 02-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to let you know that we're complete newbies as of May 2020 so have never RV'd before then. We used the propane through the year for cooking (blackstone grill primarily) and twice for overnight heat. I did know about the 80% fill rule but since the internal wall meter said full when we took possession (likely calibrated to show 80%=full) and now says 3/4 full shouldn't I be able to add propane?
What's the gauge at the tank say?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Depends on how the wall meter is calibrated. Using one gallon could take it from full to 3/4
Old 02-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It once took me three stops to get a tech smart enough to get propane into my tank.
Same story:half pound and stops.
Third guy put 6 gallons into it.

My bbq won't use one of my new 20lb tanks, but it works fine on the propane heater.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It once took me three stops to get a tech smart enough to get propane into my tank.
Same story:half pound and stops.
Third guy put 6 gallons into it.

My bbq won't use one of my new 20lb tanks, but it works fine on the propane heater.
Ok, I will bite. How did the third guy do it when two others couldn't?

David
Old 02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Ok, I will bite. How did the third guy do it when two others couldn't?
David
He used a bigger hammer...
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #11

THOR #15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What's the gauge at the tank say?
I can post what the gauge on the tank say this Saturday (day after tomorrow) once I can get back out to the storage facility. Thanks
Old 02-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
While not accurate, you can throw on another cheap point of reference with one of those stick-on or magnetic level indicators (like below). Your mileage will always vary with one of these; but since they indicate based on variance in tank temperature where the propane is filled to - if will vary much more in extreme weather.

https://smile.amazon.com/GrillPro-00...3677743&sr=8-3
Old 02-18-2021, 10:47 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The good techs know how to 'feather' the fill valve handle when it starts to fill. Basically start out with little flow working the handle slightly more open before opening the valve all the way. This prevents the overfill valve from shutting as there is a excess flow characteristic with the these. Larger tanks don't seem to be as sensitive as the smaller tanks...
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
The good techs know how to 'feather' the fill valve handle when it starts to fill. Basically start out with little flow working the handle slightly more open before opening the valve all the way. This prevents the overfill valve from shutting as there is a excess flow characteristic with the these. Larger tanks don't seem to be as sensitive as the smaller tanks...
Bingo give that man the cigar! I worked a few days a week at the local hardware store we also sold bulk propane. The kids would always come get the old man out of the window shop when an RV needed to be filled.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #15

THOR #15976
So, I took a look today at the gauge on my coach's propane tank. It reads less than 1/2 tank, more than 1/4 but won't fill at three different propane service places. Big time head scratcher! I'm reaching out to Thor to see if they have some thoughts. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:17 AM   #16

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
Quote:
Hello. I have a 2020 Thor Four Winds 28Z class C with onboard propane tank. The tank was filled by the dealer when we took possession of the coach in May 2020. We did not use a "ton" of propane through the year however the gauge said we were down 1/4 to 1/3 tank so I took it in to be refilled before winterizing and storing it. The propane vendor said the tank would not accept more than about a 1/2 lb before auto shut off occurred. They did vent the tank prior/during. We've tried to get it filled at two other locations just in case there was an equipment issue at the first location. Same problem there.

Try a bigger vendor. In Illinois, I use Hicks Gas. Big operation, huge tanks, etc. A place that sells and services home propane tanks. The guys there are more likely to be able to help you than a middle man like U Haul or your nearby gas station. They see so many different setups for refilling tanks of all shapes and sizes.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #17

THOR #15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
Try a bigger vendor. In Illinois, I use Hicks Gas. Big operation, huge tanks, etc. A place that sells and services home propane tanks. The guys there are more likely to be able to help you than a middle man like U Haul or your nearby gas station. They see so many different setups for refilling tanks of all shapes and sizes.
Thanks for that advice. I think that's likely the next best step. Most of ours in Michigan are a longer drive for me but may be worth it to get an expert opinion. It seems that RV sale/service shops only "dabble" in system issues. Be they electric, HVAC or propane.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Having had multiple propane tanks for many years on the farms and ranch I ran into a sticking fill valve a few times. Most of the tanks were filled once per year and some not even that often. Tank water heaters, back up supply, lp trucks and equipment and so on. We used lp pickups back when we paid less than .50 per gallon for years.

When the valve sticks get a brass drift and center it on the inlet valve and tap it with a hammer until you have propane discharge. Wear safety glasses and do this away from sparks or flame, no cigars and so on

always worked for me
Old 03-02-2021, 01:57 AM   #19
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I found that the inside gauge is inaccurate. I go by the One on the tank itself.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveler
State: Kansas
THOR #19033
If vendor has old style fill hose it will not open the safety valve on newer tanks, thus preventing filling.