Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Moisture under slide

I just noticed a couple times that when I extend my slide there is a small amount of moisture on the floor. Anyone know what this is ?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is that after the coach has been sitting or after you've been driving a while (or does it not make a difference)?

When the slide is in turn off all the lights inside and see if you can see any light from outside coming in? (or at night put the slide in, turn the lights on in the coach and see if you see any light on the outside at the bottom of the slide)?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What is contained in the slide?
Could you have a small leak from a water fitting, or some condensation from a refrigerator?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
It's very easy to get moisture on the floor when the slide is in. If the slide trim on the outside is not properly caulked, rain can seep in by running down the wall of the slide into the top seam of the slide trim.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I had a small leak at the inside edge of the slide, but only when it was in. Took awhile but finally found the leak on the outside corner trim for the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide leak sml.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	9076  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I had a small leak at the inside edge of the slide, but only when it was in. Took awhile but finally found the leak on the outside corner trim for the slide.
I had pretty much the same problem. Upon investigation I discovered the entire lower trim had NO caulking. I then examined around the outside TV and found it also lacked caulking. I rarely use use that TV but had found areas of what looked like water stains. Once I sealed it up...no more water stains. I went from there to adding caulk to lower facial trim all around the RV.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

THOR #7882
It doesn’t happen all the time. Its when its stored and i open it for the first time there’s a small amount of condensation. Since I’m in the Deep South i was wondering if its due to our weather going from 80 degrees to 55 in the same day. Its kept under carport so its cant be rain. Its a super slide with just the kitchen sink on that side but no leaked under sink
Old 02-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I just noticed a couple times that when I extend my slide there is a small amount of moisture on the floor. Anyone know what this is ?
I had that after rain. The slide got wet and when pulled in brought some water with it. Once I realized this, I simply make sure the slide is dry before retracting. Problem solved. If I must retract when wet, we put a plastic trash bag flat on floor before doing it.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #9

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
It doesn’t happen all the time. Its when its stored and i open it for the first time there’s a small amount of condensation. Since I’m in the Deep South i was wondering if its due to our weather going from 80 degrees to 55 in the same day. Its kept under carport so its cant be rain. Its a super slide with just the kitchen sink on that side but no leaked under sink
I can't imagine condensation being the cause. Since you said it is visible after extending the slide, I put my money on the trim lacking adequate caulking. I know you stated you are under a carport but I would assume the wind could blow in rain from the side. If you extend your slide and spray the the side wall with your garden hose and then look up underneath the slide, you will likely find a small amount of water dripping. The underneath side of the slide is covered with a waterproof membrane so look for any place where the membrane is perforated with s screw or seam. I found droplets on a screw that mounted the slide bracket.

The slide is designed with rubber weep cups on each side. They should hold any water that is swept in when retracting the slide, so you shouldn't be able to bring water onto your coach floor when retracting it, unless those are damaged or the rubber side wipes are bad. Any water that makes its way into the weep cups will either evaporate or seep out when the slide again is extended.

It may be hard to see where it is dripping because of the water proof membrane. The way the slide is made, any water that seeps in through the lower trim, gets between the membrane and the floor of the slide. It can make its way anywhere under the slide before eventually seeping onto your coach floor.

I know this is a long response for what seems like a minor issue but any water that gets into your coach is a BIG deal. You sure don't want to wait until the floor of your slide is rotted. It is a simple fix...a small bead of silicone caulk on the top of the lower facial trim...done.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 AM   #10

THOR #7882
Thanks for the information.