Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Warranty Work

We're in the same boat with our new Thor chateau, and warranty work. We've had it out twice. One of our batteries for the house section went bad in a big way, preventing us from retracting our levelers. When we went to use the manual override, it didn't work. My husband ended up crawling under the RV and working each leveler up. In it went for emergency repairs so we could use it on a 700 mile trip we planned over a year ago. Made and appointment in July for the work to be done on the manual override, however it's already in the shop. Coming back from our trip we heard a large bang and smoke billowed out from under the RV. The hydraulic line to the levelers blew out spraying the catalytic converter and underside of the RV with fluid. Over three hours later we were able to get back on the road. We weren't sure if the levelers could possible drop while traveling. We still had over 500 miles to travel so we strapped up the levelers to be on the safe side and eased on down the road. Sent the RV to the dealer the very next day. We planned on using it in June, but I refuse to pick it up until this problem is fixed. We have other warranty issues that need to be resolved, but the leveling system is by far the worse.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #62

State: Texas
THOR #1532
My levelers do not work unless the engine is running. Is this the case for you?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #63

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
That's correct. We have to have the MH running, with the emergency brake on to work the levelers.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #64

THOR #1532
OK, just checking. That bugs me that a house battery issue will cause an issue with the engine running.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #65
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
My levelers do not work unless the engine is running. Is this the case for you?
The engine must be running, transmission in park and the parking brake set for the levelers to work.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #66

Model: 28z
State: Washington
THOR #2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwoods View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak, the first year the coach was in the shop more than 8 months with major problems from water leaks in all the overhead running lights, loose slide motors (3 occasions), the front levelers brackets both were bent, screws were popping thru the linoleum and the whole floor had to be replaced. Those were all under warranty. This summer while traveling rivets holding the slide awning cover came out and was dangling along the side of the coach and ripped the cover. When I got to my destination, the top bar of the driver side storage came loose and the front door and the rear door was ajar. Warranty has expired. Thor has no quality control. I wrote a letter to Thor about all the problems but never got any answer so I think they must be so used to letters that they ignore them.

Sounds familiar, I just bought a used 2014 Thor Four Winds 28Z. The first thing I noticed was a leaking kitchen sink (flexible hose) drain.
Then - the dreaded "loose slide motor" popped up after I ran it four times. When I discovered the fault in the schwintek/Lippert controller - I took it to the shop for the tune of $431 at RV Pro in Vancouver, WA for 4 hours of "troubleshooting" - all directed by Lippert. They suspected the controller ($414). But when I heard "it might need a motor"($250) - I took it home and worked on it myself. I got a controller for $110 new on eBay - put it in - then the motor came loose and was spinning - destroying it's wiring harness. So, I found a new Lippert IG42 motor on eBay for $70. I installed it - but then found out that Thor had mounted the ENTIRE SLIDE a half inch off to the rear - so that the hold down screw for the motor wasn't able to hit the notch to hold the motor down. So I drilled a hole in the motor casing and now it's holding. Unfortunately, neither of the previous two owners realized why the slide problem existed before their one year warranty ran out. But they managed to sell it to me and get out of the nightmare. I knew nothing of Thor - this being my first MH. I called Thor on a whim - but you can imagine how that went.... Sorry - 1 year warranty (which is how long stuff lasts if you are lucky). Doesn't matter if they manufactured it wrong.
Oh yeah, the overhead bunk leak - through the running lights - AND the rear taillight leak!!!
Never a THOR again. The money I saved - I have now spent. So... just buy a different brand - or BUY the extended warranty!!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #67

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Hate to beat a dead horse.. I have accepted and came to the conclusion that unless I don't want to keep my sanity, I have to pretend that my unit is no longer under warranty and continue to do any repair work myself. I have been back to CW a couple of times and concluded that the mechanics are only interested on making a "cosmetic repair" and they cross their fingers that the "repair" will hold up until you get home. I guess they then hope you will go somewhere else to fix the repair correctly and not come back to them.

Just when I thought there were no more repair issues, my daughter brings me most of the tiny screws supporting the table to the table legs, which were screwed into "particle board" pieces of wood under the table. Really Thor? Like this was meant to last???? I ended up removing the POS particle board supports and replaced with 3\4 inch plywood and supported the legs with real screws. The reason I bring this up is that CW would have turned the legs a bit, used the same screws and drill them into new locations on the particle board.

I now discovered that one of the bedroom windows does not close correctly and remains stuck open unless I have someone push the window in from the outside with force. This may explain why I bought the unit with a stained headboard that Thor denied replacing as they stated it was not a factory issue and CW was at fault. Instead of returning to CW, I will remove the window and repair or replace myself. I have also accepted the stain on the headboard for now and will come up with my own solution or have it reupholstered. I will grab a cold beer, put on some music and devote a few hours to the window repair. After owning several RV's, this is the only way to keep your sanity. If you are purchasing your first RV, make sure you have some basic repair skills, it will go along way to keeping you sane and hopefully prevent a divorce!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #68

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
We have a Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C. I have to say to everyone to expect these things with any motor-home brand to begin with. We had numerous problems over the first 6 months of ownership. But we complained loudly and often to Thor and got them involved. Our problem, as I expect is with many of you was not actually Thor, but was mainly the selling dealership which was Camping World. CW was basically worthless in addressing our needs once we drove off the lot. Once Thor got involved, they assigned a rep named Phil Houser to us. I must say he was nothing less than spectacular!!! He approved a repair facility other than CW. All of our issues were address in one visit and it has now been a year later, and after several thousand wonderful miles, we are happy campers. I can safely say I will never own anything but a Thor motor-home now. If fact we are going to trade for a Palazzo or Challenger next year. Although, you can bet it won't be purchased from Camping World!!!!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #69

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
I have a 2014 33SW, and mine must have the engine off to operate the levelers and slide. Of course it is a Bigfoot leveling system, where as most of the other 33SW's I've seen came with Lippert.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #70

Model: Windsport 27K
State: California
THOR #1455
We have a 2014 Windsport 27K that we bought 6 months ago brand new. We have had it in for minor warranty work and only 1 major item (the water heater stopped working because the wires came undone) and we love it so far. We have taken it on 4 trips so far and have our big trip coming up in 3 weeks to Jedidiah Smith Redwoods state park (5 nights) and Mackerricher State Park (8 nights). We pulled a 27' Nash trailer or 10+ years and it was incredible. Very well put together and great insulation. We researched Motor Homes before we bought and realized all brands have issues. Just make sure you keep up with the maintenance.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #71

State: Louisiana
THOR #2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatFanMan View Post
Mhsrv

This was an erroneous post.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #72

Model: Windsport 34F
THOR #1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
We have a Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C. I have to say to everyone to expect these things with any motor-home brand to begin with. We had numerous problems over the first 6 months of ownership. But we complained loudly and often to Thor and got them involved. Our problem, as I expect is with many of you was not actually Thor, but was mainly the selling dealership which was Camping World. CW was basically worthless in addressing our needs once we drove off the lot. Once Thor got involved, they assigned a rep named Phil Houser to us. I must say he was nothing less than spectacular!!! He approved a repair facility other than CW. All of our issues were address in one visit and it has now been a year later, and after several thousand wonderful miles, we are happy campers. I can safely say I will never own anything but a Thor motor-home now. If fact we are going to trade for a Palazzo or Challenger next year. Although, you can bet it won't be purchased from Camping World!!!!

This is my experience exactly!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #73

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
Well this is interesting thread. I am new to the Thor family as we just purchased a 2013 Palazzo and downsized from full timing in a Tiffin Phaeton 42 ft DP. I was on the Tiffin forum frequently and while most folks on that forum are happy with their coach as we were, there is a long running thread that periodically pops up very similar to this one! We made several trips to Red Bay for routine service issues and they were resolved. But, we stopped by on our way to somewhere else. I might have felt differently if I had to make a trip to Red Bay for no reason except service. Tiffin dealers don't seem to be very service oriented, but there are exceptions to any rule. I bought my first several RVs used because that was what I could afford. While I could afford to buy a new one now, I prefer to leave the warranty issues to the new owners and buy one that is 2-3 years old. I have said if I won the lottery I would not buy a new RV, I would love to win the lottery to prove my point
Old 07-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #74

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse.. I have accepted and came to the conclusion that unless I don't want to keep my sanity, I have to pretend that my unit is no longer under warranty and continue to do any repair work myself. I have been back to CW a couple of times and concluded that the mechanics are only interested on making a "cosmetic repair" and they cross their fingers that the "repair" will hold up until you get home. I guess they then hope you will go somewhere else to fix the repair correctly and not come back to them.

Just when I thought there were no more repair issues, my daughter brings me most of the tiny screws supporting the table to the table legs, which were screwed into "particle board" pieces of wood under the table. Really Thor? Like this was meant to last???? I ended up removing the POS particle board supports and replaced with 3\4 inch plywood and supported the legs with real screws. The reason I bring this up is that CW would have turned the legs a bit, used the same screws and drill them into new locations on the particle board.

I now discovered that one of the bedroom windows does not close correctly and remains stuck open unless I have someone push the window in from the outside with force. This may explain why I bought the unit with a stained headboard that Thor denied replacing as they stated it was not a factory issue and CW was at fault. Instead of returning to CW, I will remove the window and repair or replace myself. I have also accepted the stain on the headboard for now and will come up with my own solution or have it reupholstered. I will grab a cold beer, put on some music and devote a few hours to the window repair. After owning several RV's, this is the only way to keep your sanity. If you are purchasing your first RV, make sure you have some basic repair skills, it will go along way to keeping you sane and hopefully prevent a divorce!
I agree - fix it yourself like their is NO warranty. I have been doing this since day one - frustrating, but much less than driving and fighting with dealer or Thor who really do not care about you or your issues with the POS!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #75

THOR #1330
Robbie,
Keep us updated on the progress of your Lemon Law situation with Thor. Did you use an attorney?
Old 07-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #76

THOR #1330
We contacted an attorney about our 2015 Palazzo 35.1. We are asking for a buy back. Did you use an attorney? Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #77

State: North Carolina
THOR #894
Join the club, we have had our 2014 Tuscany 40RX since February 2014 and it has been in the shop more than 70% of the time that we have owned it. It is very frustrating. I believe they are more worried about quantity than quality. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #78

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I'm going through that right now on mine, but Texas Lemon Law. Thor was just here doing some major changes to my slide. Just took it to Ford for the recall it needed and a couple of other things, then it is off on our first trip to hopefully get to use it without it breaking.
Robbie, I also live in Texas and I would be very appreciative if you would keep us advised of your lemon law proceedings. I am considering pursuing that avenue myself. I'm going to TRY to PM you with my contact info. Keep up the good fight, and keep fighting.

sandaj
Old 08-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #79

State: California
THOR #2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS JARHEAD View Post
We bought our 2015 Thor Challenger 37GT in May of this year. Brand spankin' new......It is back at the dealership for the 4th time since we bought it for "warranty work". We have had multiple, multiple problems and this time the front windshield had a water leak or shall I say "pour".....I guess my question to you experienced owners of "new" motorhomes, is it normal to bring a brand new rig back in for so many warranty problems? It's like we get it home and find something else....The dealership does the work without any questions, but it's usually between 4-8 weeks before we get it back...We try to wait until we get a list of problems before we bring it in, but the water leak couldn't wait......I'm really getting frustrated with the whole process...This is our first motorhome....
We are also new Thor owners, Outlaw 37LS. Took possession 6/12/15. Have a list of about 30 items and dealer said they need to get warranty approval of which some were already rejected.. Our biggest problem is ALSO the loose leaking windshield (also, not a leak, a pour). We bought it for our Sturgis trip, tried to get warrant approval before we left, after 3 e-mails to dealer, & no response , we left on our trip, my husband did a temporary fix, still have not heard from anyone. Also, 1st day of leaving, the Hydraulic/leveler alarm went off while driving stating do not use leveler, take in to be serviced. I called Thor, they could not get an appointment until August 27. I did get an e-mail reply from Thor to take to authorized dealer and have them call for approval before starting work. On our way home now, had to manually level. Will be in contact with Thor as soon as we get home and hopefully get these problems taken care of. The Felix's in CA
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #80

THOR #1454
We purchased our 2015 Miramar 27DEC2015. In the 210+ days we have owned it, it has been in the shop at least 150 of them. It is currently in the shop again, awaiting approval and parts to repair the large slide-out unit that will not slide in without assistance. Like the people posting above, waiting weeks and weeks for repair becomes "un-fun" after a while. I am seriously considering implementing the lemon law. We have not had one single solitary trip, short or long, without problems. I am not a happy camper.