Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 AM   #121

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Oh, so now you think it's appropriate!?!? Then you say I'm bashing the brand? ...
Brian,

After reading this forum for several months now, I have gotten the impression that all RV products have QC problems from the factories ... what makes the difference is having a good dealer and doing a detailed PDI before the purchased is finalized.

So from your impression as an owner ... were your problems Thor problems, dealer problems, or both?

I ask because I have rented a Thor Vegas and my wife and I enjoyed our trip despite the low end quality of the cabinets and other furnishings. There are very few RVs on the market at this size and price point ... and Ed's manual tells us what to watch out for (thank you Ed)!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #122

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
All right this has gone far enough, if it keeps up I will be forced to close this thread out
That sounds like a great idea to me. The point has been made, and it is obviously becoming of a bone of contention between those of us who are content and those of us who aren't.

Ken
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 AM   #123

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
Peace be with you..........

I keep telling myself to "shut up" but I come back & try to explain what I want in here.. I think it is partly sympathy (when something goes wrong) but mainly tips on what others recommend. What pushed me over the edge was having Thor and Ford both saying that "they did not change out the metal valve stems on the inside dual tires." I am on my 3rd tire on the passenger side (about 12,000 miles) and not sure what I will find when Ford takes off the driver's side dual to install the metal valve stems I ordered.

I will pay for the valve stems, labor & maybe another tire.... and buy metal extenders someone recommended in here. Not counting the cost of new tires, will be about $100 per tire extra because "nobody did it". I tried to make enough waves to stop this procedure, I feel lucky I didn't have an accident when driving on a flat tire. I do the speed limit most of the time & it is 75 mph on the turnpike in KS. So this is my "cause".

I think the person that said, "the dealer makes the difference"... said a mouthfull! My dealer did not do what I expected, to go over everything before turning it over to me. Except for my disappointment when the factory didn't take care of ALL of the problems when it went back for a month, Thor had been very good about paying for all that fell apart while under warranty. Sadly, my dealer's mechanics failed to repair a lot of the problems so I found another place that could do the work, that Thor agreed to pay for. In fairness to the mechanics, I believe they were overwhelmed with work and did not have time to do justice. One mechanic even came after dark, brought a friend to help with one problem.

My old RV, a Rialta by Winnebago, had plenty of problems at first, but it was 16 years old and back when it was made I don't think we imported as many parts from China. Let's face it, all the parts I've had fall apart were made in China. Hope that doesn't insult anyone, just the facts. Just about everything I've bought the last few years was made in China. I hope when I get the tire problem fixed it will be smooth sailing for a few more years. I'd love to just enjoy "my trips to the woods" as long as I can, I meet the nicest people in campgrounds!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #124

State: Florida
THOR #4726
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hi welcome to the forum !
Our Axis is our 4th rv .. 2 motorhomes and a toyhauler, previously.
We have had good experiences with all our rv's .
Keep in mind, most of the folks who come to a forum are having a problem and are looking for help or a solution.
There are thousands of rv owners who we never hear from.
Whatever you purchase, be sure to have a complete PDI (walk through) before purchase . Whether you purchase new or used.

Good luck in your search and feel free to ask questions !
Thanks for the info. Our last RV was a Featherlite TT, only 3 small repairs required that I took care of myself. I am encouraged to keep shopping.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #125

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I think it is important to remember that you only hear the worst on the forums. Rarely to people get on the forums and say what an amazing experience they had and that they did not have any problems. In Thor's defense, they produce a large quantity of motorhomes. When you mass produce like that, there are going to be problems especially when there are that many third party vendors. As stated before, having a great dealer and a thorough PDI is essential. Also, it is important to remember that Thor does have a very responsive warranty and customer service shop. Without that Thor department, your dealer would not be able to look good.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #126

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #4719
What seems to be the problem is not Thor, it is the RV industry as a whole. They, as far as my experience goes, universally have very crappy quality control. They don't improve it, because they don't have to. If one of the big players came forward and begin a serious effort to improve quality, the others would have to follow suit. Our last RV was an Airstream trailer, which seems to get a lot of hype, and I imagine people would think they are a quality product. Their pricing lately is rediculous for something you have to tow. However, they seem to be barely able to keep up with the demand. Their individual components (appliances, fittings, etc) are better quality than our motorhome, but the workmanship and Q/C is not one bit better.

This is Thor Forums, so they are the ones getting bashed. Go check out other forums and search for quality control, etc. you will find the same complaints and the same conflicts between those that are satisfied and those that aren't. My suggestion is to let those that are upset about these issues vent. Those that are happy, feel free to say so. However, wherever your experiences lie, remember that others have truely different experiences and allow them to express that also, without being ridiculed. Not only are different experiences truly different, different people have different priorities and different tolerances.

Note the key word?

Be tolerant of different.

Ken

P.S. Some people like to hear themselves talk. I like to read myself write.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #127

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
The first diamond ring I purchased for my wife back in 1972 had a flaw (inclusion) in it, we both knew it was flawed, the jeweler put the prong on the mount over the flaw and we were satisfied with it. Sheree has had several diamond "upgrades" since then, but even in the larger and higher quality diamonds there are flaws. The way I look at it, not much is perfect so find the level of "imperfection" you can live with and move on.

My Vegas is not perfect, but with the help of my dealership, Thor, input from this Forum (the good, the bad and the ugly) with repairs recommended here...I have my Vegas at a level the wife and I can live with and enjoy - keeping my toolbox handy .

Improvement is always desirable...so, while the RV industry muddles along let us keep sharin', repairin' and RV'in'!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #128
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

Improvement is always desirable...so, while the RV industry muddles along let us keep sharin', repairin' and RV'in'!

Doc
Well said !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #129

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Quote:
The first diamond ring I purchased for my wife back in 1972 had a flaw (inclusion) in it, we both knew it was flawed, the jeweler put the prong on the mount over the flaw and we were satisfied with it. Sheree has had several diamond "upgrades" since then, but even in the larger and higher quality diamonds there are flaws. The way I look at it, not much is perfect so find the level of "imperfection" you can live with and move on.

My Vegas is not perfect, but with the help of my dealership, Thor, input from this Forum (the good, the bad and the ugly) with repairs recommended here...I have my Vegas at a level the wife and I can live with and enjoy - keeping my toolbox handy .

Doc
You might think it appropriate to compare your wife's diamonds to the flaws of motorhome quality control, but I beg to differ. I doubt you spent $150k plus for your wife's diamonds????? We just purchased our 3rd motorhome, a 2016 Thor Challenger 37LX back in July and have emassed a list so far of 54 items that need repair or replaced. We've only camped a total of 6 nights so far in ours and we already have an appointment in October to take it up to the Thor service factory in Eklhart, IN. I certainly understand people's frustrations with the major stuff that is happening. We aren't talking about a few minor things that are wrong like missing screws or crooked light switches. When you pay that much or more for a rig, you don't expect it to be the quality you would expect in a $60k rig. That is where I think the rub is. Some of the issues are not "minor" issues. I read about one family that were driving down the interstate when their front window blew out. Do you realize how many people could have been injured or killed with that happening? Having locked cargo bay doors open going down the interstate with stuff falling out that could cause a serious accident is not something "minor". Having your slides not retract when your sitting in a campground and need to leave because someone else is waiting for your spot they now have reserved is not a "minor" issue. To me it's like comparing a $14k new car to a $75k new car. You expect better quality the more you pay. Many of us are justifiably angry to have shelled out the money we have then have to worry that every time we drive it down the road, we could have something go wrong that could get us killed.

For those of you who don't want to hear about problems many of us are having - then please just look past our posts. Don't tell us we don't have a right to say we are angry at Thor for the quality issues that are happening. Don't tell us we don't have a right to be angry at our dealerships for their inattention to many of the issues. For others, we are here to read and see if we are the only ones experiencing certain problems or if others are experiencing the same things and what they did about them.

I think it is great Doc Mike that you are okay with carrying a bunch of tools with you in order to make repairs that some of us think shouldn't have to be made, but please don't try to tell us that we should be happy with our "flawed" motorhomes. I certainly don't feel that way when I make that montly loan payment for my "flawed" motorhome. It makes me very angry that the RV industry is now putting out crap quality and using cheap materials yet they feel no remorse for charging the prices they do and taking advantage of buyers expecting a safe and quality product.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #130

THOR #2142
Breenw, Just pointing out perfection should be a goal that is worked towards not expected at the start. Just my opinion, wish you the best in your quest for the perfect RV.
Doc

Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #131

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Breen-
you have every right to express your exasperation--tell you what- if Cadillac or Lexus had these control and accountability issues, NO ONE would pursue their product!
it is a shame that the different Thor plants seem to produce a different quality product- that seems to be management---cosmetics and build issues should be identified and dealt with for the most part at purchase or dont purchase. We are lucky- we bought a 2016 four Winds...except for the Lippert Jack controller this has been a great fun RV so far.....we understand the the class A's since they are built on a solid chassis from the ground up have been giving people issues! Thor must be improving their accountability from having to correct issues for purchasers like you that definitely got robbed!
Hope your issues get fixed...and you can trade in----or they take it back!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #132

THOR #4813
Quote:
Breenw, Just pointing out perfection should be a goal that is worked towards not expected at the start. Just my opinion, wish you the best in your quest for the perfect RV.
Doc
I never once said I expected perfection. I guess expecting things like locked bay doors to not open on the interstate, slides not working, water heater only heating to 98 degrees, front drop down bunk jams sideways when lowered, shower door won't open, dash A/C won't cool, etc. just to name a few of the 54 items on our list, must make us one of "those people who expect too much". Sorry, but I don't consider those items as minor and I felt your comments was very condescending as again, I never said it should have been perfect. You have no clue what all is wrong with our rig and maybe I just don't have the expendable income that you must to consider a $157k purchase to at least not have that many things wrong with it.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #133

THOR #4813
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
Breen-
you have every right to express your exasperation--tell you what- if Cadillac or Lexus had these control and accountability issues, NO ONE would pursue their product!
it is a shame that the different Thor plants seem to produce a different quality product- that seems to be management---cosmetics and build issues should be identified and dealt with for the most part at purchase or dont purchase. We are lucky- we bought a 2016 four Winds...except for the Lippert Jack controller this has been a great fun RV so far.....we understand the the class A's since they are built on a solid chassis from the ground up have been giving people issues! Thor must be improving their accountability from having to correct issues for purchasers like you that definitely got robbed!
Hope your issues get fixed...and you can trade in----or they take it back!
Thanks and I agree. The people at Thor have been extremely nice but it's more that the quality should not have to be questioned when you are selling a product that costs as much as these motor homes. If Thor and other vendors would make sure they commit to a strong quality control process, then they would not only have happier clients, but they would spend much less repairing and fixing issues upfront than making clients bring them in for constant repairs. As I said earlier, we owned a 2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit, a 2007 Gulfstream SunVoyager and now this 2016 Thor Challenger. The other two rigs has little stuff that needed attention but nothing like this. We just didn't realize that the industry had changed that much from when we bought our 2007 model. My wish is that we don't continue to find any more major issues and we get the rig fixed, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow the issues we are experiencing right now.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #134

THOR #2142
Breen, I wish you the best in your efforts with your RV, you have an investment there. I hope you get to the point where you can enjoy it.
BTW: Much less expendable income here , hence the Vegas...about 50% of the cost of your RV.

Doc

Old 09-03-2016, 04:48 AM   #135

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
Brian,

After reading this forum for several months now, I have gotten the impression that all RV products have QC problems from the factories ... what makes the difference is having a good dealer and doing a detailed PDI before the purchased is finalized.

So from your impression as an owner ... were your problems Thor problems, dealer problems, or both?

I ask because I have rented a Thor Vegas and my wife and I enjoyed our trip despite the low end quality of the cabinets and other furnishings. There are very few RVs on the market at this size and price point ... and Ed's manual tells us what to watch out for (thank you Ed)!
My problems and frustrations where with both. I think I was more disappointed with Thor, for sending such a poor quality build out to the dealer! The unit we had arrived at the dealer from the factory with a lot, and mean a lot of issues. Clearly there was no quality control inspection done on that rig when it left Elkhart, hence the dealers (2 different dealers) were left to try and fix the problems.

As for the dealer we purchased it from, at the time they were plagued with issues as well. It would take them several days to diagnose a problem, then wait weeks for parts to be delivered. Ultimately Thor recommended a different dealer. I had much better luck with that dealer, their diagnostic process was much better.

We've since taken delivery of a replacement coach, a newer model, and I must give Thor credit, the build quality on our newer rig is much, much better!

As for the last rig, it was a 34.2, I think it was one of the first 10-15 built. It was a new model year and one of the first 10-15 off a new line, so there was bound to be build and quality control issues. So lesson learned, never purchase a new model year rig, especially if it's one of the first 20 or so off the line!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #136

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
So far, I have been lucky. I bought a used Vegas 2016 24.1. It had 1,900 miles and I think all issues had been worked out.

We have had it since June and added a Roadmaster reflex. I usually tow my drag car behind it. It actually tows great, better than my half ton Suburban. I know it is "entry level" but the dealer was great. Honestly much better than expected. I am guilty of thinking them swindlers and in reality, they were not. Overall the experience was extremely positive. Even the financing and extended service agreements were no issue.

There has got to be some truth to issues with QC, but I do think forums fill with negatives more than positives just by very nature.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #137

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
My problems and frustrations where with both. I think I was more disappointed with Thor, for sending such a poor quality build out to the dealer! The unit we had arrived at the dealer from the factory with a lot, and mean a lot of issues. Clearly there was no quality control inspection done on that rig when it left Elkhart, hence the dealers (2 different dealers) were left to try and fix the problems.

As for the dealer we purchased it from, at the time they were plagued with issues as well. It would take them several days to diagnose a problem, then wait weeks for parts to be delivered. Ultimately Thor recommended a different dealer. I had much better luck with that dealer, their diagnostic process was much better.

We've since taken delivery of a replacement coach, a newer model, and I must give Thor credit, the build quality on our newer rig is much, much better!

As for the last rig, it was a 34.2, I think it was one of the first 10-15 built. It was a new model year and one of the first 10-15 off a new line, so there was bound to be build and quality control issues. So lesson learned, never purchase a new model year rig, especially if it's one of the first 20 or so off the line!

THAT is the issue exactly---while everyone is bashing Thor (new or old models) remember- WE are NOT Thor's Customer- the Dealership IS.....It is the dealership's responsibility to inspect, correct and present their inventories to THEIR Customers. Most just seem to park the inventory they purchase and wait for a dewy eyed customer to come and make a deal! They know full well up front that the RV WILL be back...but that is no concern to the sales end of the business---then it becomes the SERVICE end and customers always wonder why the are so inept or soooo slooowwww.... so dealership management's view of their business has to take priority to have a good reputation and repeat Customers......Thor or any other brand manufacturer is a wholesaler and that is why they will ALWAYS refer to your warranty Dealership until things are way out of control!! Beat up your dealership or write and bug Thor to authorize another approved service center---but RV sales are Rocking and the dealerships know it and play poor me my hands are toes...bet if you brought an out of warranty RV to them and they would make 5000.00 off of you they could repair anything you asked!! Ironic........
Old 09-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #138

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Totally agree with Willow's comment. True -- Thor could do a better job with QC, but the dealer is the one whose responsibility it is to correct as many of Thor's oversights/mistakes/ etc. as possible.

When I purchased my 2015 Vegas 24.1 last Aug, my dealer told me they needed a week to "make it ready" before we did the PDI. When I came back for the PDI they had gone through the coach and corrected many minor discrepancies (the PDI only revealed 3 minor things even they had missed in the "make ready". During that week they not only corrected the discrepancies they found but they had removed all the drawers and access panels and vacuumed out all the construction debris, sawdust, loose screws, etc. They sealed all open areas where wiring or plumbing passed through with expandable foam. They cleaned under the couch slide to ensure there were no loose screws that might catch on the flooring when the slide was operated. They also checked all systems to ensure they all operated properly. They even washed and waxed the coach.

Having a great dealer is certainly one of the most important keys to preventing RV frustration.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #139

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Willowrun!?!?!? WTF! Are you saying the manufacturer are NOT responsible for the quality of the products they produce! Whatever!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #140

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenw View Post
You might think it appropriate to compare your wife's diamonds to the flaws of motorhome quality control, but I beg to differ. I doubt you spent $150k plus for your wife's diamonds????? We just purchased our 3rd motorhome, a 2016 Thor Challenger 37LX back in July and have emassed a list so far of 54 items that need repair or replaced. We've only camped a total of 6 nights so far in ours and we already have an appointment in October to take it up to the Thor service factory in Eklhart, IN. I certainly understand people's frustrations with the major stuff that is happening. We aren't talking about a few minor things that are wrong like missing screws or crooked light switches. When you pay that much or more for a rig, you don't expect it to be the quality you would expect in a $60k rig. That is where I think the rub is. Some of the issues are not "minor" issues. I read about one family that were driving down the interstate when their front window blew out. Do you realize how many people could have been injured or killed with that happening? Having locked cargo bay doors open going down the interstate with stuff falling out that could cause a serious accident is not something "minor". Having your slides not retract when your sitting in a campground and need to leave because someone else is waiting for your spot they now have reserved is not a "minor" issue. To me it's like comparing a $14k new car to a $75k new car. You expect better quality the more you pay. Many of us are justifiably angry to have shelled out the money we have then have to worry that every time we drive it down the road, we could have something go wrong that could get us killed.

For those of you who don't want to hear about problems many of us are having - then please just look past our posts. Don't tell us we don't have a right to say we are angry at Thor for the quality issues that are happening. Don't tell us we don't have a right to be angry at our dealerships for their inattention to many of the issues. For others, we are here to read and see if we are the only ones experiencing certain problems or if others are experiencing the same things and what they did about them.

I think it is great Doc Mike that you are okay with carrying a bunch of tools with you in order to make repairs that some of us think shouldn't have to be made, but please don't try to tell us that we should be happy with our "flawed" motorhomes. I certainly don't feel that way when I make that montly loan payment for my "flawed" motorhome. It makes me very angry that the RV industry is now putting out crap quality and using cheap materials yet they feel no remorse for charging the prices they do and taking advantage of buyers expecting a safe and quality product.
OMG! I could not have stated this any better! Bravo!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote