Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We chose the 25.2 because it has the biggest shower.
What I gave up with the 25.2 is my good nap time. When we are on the road, I will usually pull over around 1 or 2pm and take a short nap. In our fourWinds, I would head for the back and my wife would stay up front and Read, knit or crochet. I will have to use the jackknife couch for my nap or I guess I could put the slide out. Taking our first trip in the Axis next week.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah there is a lot of room but not enough to store something like a bicycle or two (something Chance would like to do).

To make it bigger would require raising the beds up a few inches (maybe 6") and, possibly relocating the generator, and monkey with the frame a little so the pass through could be taller all the way through.
Yeah, if you're going to travel with a tandem and couple of single bikes on a regular basis, and you hang them off the back, it will add at least a couple of feet (maybe more likely 3 to 4 feet depending on rack design). Same for a motorcycle or scooter.

It seems more efficient overall to create the space as a tall rear compartment (garage) that not only protects bikes, but also adds to interior space. And the added cost should be minimal.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
There is not much to add regarding our choice of the 24.1 ..
We like the twin/king in the rear ... have adapted well to the smaller bathroom/shower. We enjoy the slide in the living area rather than the bedroom area...and as someone stated...that is why they make several different floorplans.

In regards to a bicycle or motorcycle rack on the rear...we, often, attach the motorcycle rack with no difficulty ... when we book a site we always tell them what our coach length is plus the rack if that makes any difference...so we have not had any issues. When we pull the trailer, we, of course advise accordingly.
We hope you enjoy your search and find a coach which suits you well.
Be sure to ask more questions ! As you can see, we all are happy to offer information !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #24

Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792

We love our 25.1, too. It is convenient when we each want to watch two different things or work on different projects.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #25

THOR #2121
If someone is interested in a 25.1, there is one listed at PPL with less than 3,000 miles on it, and reportedly in "like new" condition. I think they are asking too much for it compared to what other Axis/Vegas went for, but it's just a starting point anyway.

2016 Vegas Series 25.1 for Sale - A197 - PPL Motor Homes.

In a small motorhome having the bedroom double as a lounge has some appeal to us also. I personally think that Twin/King beds that double as sofas like on the 25.5 would be even more practical for us. It would be less open in floor space, but easier to make into beds. Plus it eliminates corner bed which we don't particularly like.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #26

THOR #6650
We're still trying to decide between the 24.1 and the 25.5. We want twin beds and the rear bath on the 25.5 is nice and roomy. The outside storage is less on the 25.5 however. It has 38.2 cubic feet vs 63.5 on the 24.1 I'd love to hear your thoughts on those 2 floor plans.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Worth View Post
We're still trying to decide between the 24.1 and the 25.5. We want twin beds and the rear bath on the 25.5 is nice and roomy. The outside storage is less on the 25.5 however. It has 38.2 cubic feet vs 63.5 on the 24.1 I'd love to hear your thoughts on those 2 floor plans.
There was a lot of discussion about the 25.5 here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...-5-a-5239.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #28

THOR #6650
Thanks Jamie! Are you still happy with your 24.1?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #29

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Having owned a Class B+, a small Class C and both a Vegas and an Axis, I would not trade the outside storage in the 24.1 for the improvements in the 25.5. We travel long distances and stay out for two months or more at a time, so the storage is paramount for us. If you only do short trips, maybe it will not be as important to you. We have had two 24.1's and love them. We took our Vegas 14,000 miles to Alaska and back and our Axis to Colorado and Utah last summer. We are packing for a two month trip to Nova Scotia this summer.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:26 AM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thanks Jamie! Are you still happy with your 24.1?
Yup after three years its still a great unit and still drawing eyes--had 3 people stop by and ask about it this past weekend while we were camping.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #31
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
The features we liked on the 24.1 Axis.
Driver & Passenger seats swivel to the back.
Storage, Small footprint can park anywhere, Frameless windows, Washroom turns into "dressing room" and can close off rear bedroom, On demand water heater, Push button Awning , Liked the fact that overhead bunk is "Hidden", Outside TV, Led Lights, Love the entry with No "outside" steps.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 AM   #32

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Well, we don't own one yet, so not sure our opinion accounts, but we are getting close. For us, we are debating between the .2 and .3. We like the walk around queen beds and the couch (both are showing couches in the 2018 floor plan lineup). Both have big showers (couldn't deal with the 27" corner showers).

So, what we are contemplating (and will drive 3.5 hours to see a 25.2 on Friday , so far have only seen 25.3) is whether a little less living room space (us plus two standard poodles) and tighter toilet of the 25.2 is offset by the larger bed area and more room bathroom in the 25.2. On the other hand, the 25.3 will have a little more living room space and more roomy bathroom layout, but slightly smaller shower and and a bit tighter around the bed.

Either way, for us, it definitely will come down to one of those floorplans.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #33

THOR #6650
Thanks guys for the info revjeffrey. Jamie, glad to know you're still happy with it. Oneilkeys, sounds like some amazing trips!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 AM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
I think what's most important is to visualize how YOU will use the motorhome at the greatest detail level you can imagine, which will undoubtedly be different than everyone else.

Both units are similar in many ways, but the center bath versus rear bath segregates living, dining, and bathroom areas (and traffic flow) very differently.

The 25.5 is larger/longer, so while it may not have as much outside storage, I suppose it must make it up somewhere else. I'm not sure where that is, but it feels larger than the 24.1. Not that larger is necessarily a good thing.

Initially I thought I wouldn't like the 25.5 at all, but the center lounge area seems to add useful living space. As I've stated before, Thor should consider the 25.5 beds/lounge as an option on the 24.1.

If we traveled alone 100% of the time, between these two options the 25.5 may be our choice. But since we occassionally travel with family (hopefully grandkids some day soon) I would prefer the greater privacy/separation of the rear bedroom in 24.1.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #35

THOR #6650
Thanks for the input Chance. For us, I think either model would be ok. I'm leaning toward the 25.5. I like the larger feel of the 25.5. I don't know that the smaller outside storage will be a big problem. As long as it will fit a grill and other accessories we should be fine. I doubt we'll ever need to carry anything really large. Normally, there will be 2 of us, occasionally 3, all adults. We don't plan to make the bed into the king size so we won't be cutting off access to the bathroom. My search is going to intensify this week and I'd like to make a decision soon. I've read a lot of the threads that you have posted in and am trying to gain as much info as possible. I really appreciate all your help!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #36

State: Massachusetts
THOR #8001
Haven't seen one yet in person, but I want one!

I'm retiring in Feb '18. Will sell my condo, sell my belongings and hit the road! RV full time living for me and my dog for as long as I can.

Been looking at used RVs online for months. Everything from a Roadtrek 210 Popular to a Chinook Glacier to a Four Winds Chateau Going a little crazy, even obsessive, while also considering all the differences.

Had not been even clicking on Class A's because I thought they were all too huge. I definitely did not want to go longer than 25'. Then someone told me about the Vegas and Axis 24.1.

It's exactly what I'm looking for! I love that huge windshield, all the features (cameras in the side mirrors.. come on!). Love the steps into the coach, the swivel chairs and cocktail table. Leather sofa (is it comfortable or just looks good?). Kitchen is great, expandable counter shelf, micro/convection, 3 burner stove not 2, separate freezer and good size fridge. Love the decor. Love the separate shower and dressing area. Plenty of storage for me. I can haul around a grill, lawn chairs and nice big outdoor rug. And, an outdoor tv? Are you kidding me? I am a tv junkie and will be so happy to have that.

But what sold me is that my dog can have his own space and I won't be tripping over him all the time.

I'll be looking to purchase a lightly used 2014 or 2015 right after the beginning of the year in about 6 months.

But I admit, I'm afraid of getting a lemon or buying someone else's headache. Should I buy privately? From a dealer? Can this thing be serviced easily? I read only RV service centers will fix them because regular mechanics won't touch it. Can I take it to Mexico and someone be able to work on it if needed? That's important because I want to spend long periods in Mexico.

I've read so many complaints about these and other Thor products that now I'm looking for encouragement and hearing how people love their 24.1!
I think I'm in love!!
Mary (future owner of a Vegas or Axis 24.1)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
I'm retiring in Feb '18. Will sell my condo, sell my belongings and hit the road! RV full time living for me and my dog for as long as I can.

Been looking at used RVs online for months. Everything from a Roadtrek 210 Popular to a Chinook Glacier to a Four Winds Chateau Going a little crazy, even obsessive, while also considering all the differences.

Had not been even clicking on Class A's because I thought they were all too huge. I definitely did not want to go longer than 25'. Then someone told me about the Vegas and Axis 24.1.

It's exactly what I'm looking for! I love that huge windshield, all the features (cameras in the side mirrors.. come on!). Love the steps into the coach, the swivel chairs and cocktail table. Leather sofa (is it comfortable or just looks good?). Kitchen is great, expandable counter shelf, micro/convection, 3 burner stove not 2, separate freezer and good size fridge. Love the decor. Love the separate shower and dressing area. Plenty of storage for me. I can haul around a grill, lawn chairs and nice big outdoor rug. And, an outdoor tv? Are you kidding me? I am a tv junkie and will be so happy to have that.

But what sold me is that my dog can have his own space and I won't be tripping over him all the time.

I'll be looking to purchase a lightly used 2014 or 2015 right after the beginning of the year in about 6 months.

But I admit, I'm afraid of getting a lemon or buying someone else's headache. Should I buy privately? From a dealer? Can this thing be serviced easily? I read only RV service centers will fix them because regular mechanics won't touch it. Can I take it to Mexico and someone be able to work on it if needed? That's important because I want to spend long periods in Mexico.

I've read so many complaints about these and other Thor products that now I'm looking for encouragement and hearing how people love their 24.1!
I think I'm in love!!
Mary (future owner of a Vegas or Axis 24.1)
Ok: We love our 2014 Axis 24.1. Just rolled over 11,000 miles yesterday on the way back from camping.

Keep in mind they are small units and thus you may find one that is just fine but the previous owners just decided to go bigger (seems to be a common thing).

Read up on this webside where a woman took one to all 48 national parks in one year:
48 in 366 | 48 States, 42 National Parks and All the Backroads In Between
Held up pretty good for her (she's since discovered some leaks--posted on here--but still loves the camper).

The real important thing about buying any RV is to find a good dealer you can deal with and you trust.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #38

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

The real important thing about buying any RV is to find a good dealer you can deal with and you trust.
Having the same concerns as mckenzy, I've been pleased to read on these forums that there are many very happy Thor customers (and Axis/Vegas specifically), and have read plenty of people that have owned other brands before/after Thor that recount having initial problems with those coaches as well.

The reason I quoted the above is that while I understand the importance, how do you actually find a dealer you can trust when you haven't done business with them yet?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #39

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post

.....cut....

....cut.....
I'm only aware of two disadvantages on earlier models. The larger windshield cracked sometimes and the bathroom door was heavy and ackward for some to operate. There's been much written on both topics pro and con so a forum search should help you evaluate if these are important to you.

Both designs were revised by Thor after +/- a couple of years.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #40

THOR #6650
Thanks everyone for your help. We just ordered a new 2018 Axis 25.5 from Total Value RV. We've searched all over the country for months for a dealer with a good reputation and price. They were the one we ended up going with. It will be ready for pickup in September. We're excited and hope to have as much fun in ours as all of you seem to be having with yours!