Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #13405
Question Motorhome Tire chains

I,m owner of new 2018 Thor Ace 30.3 motorhome and reside in Reno NV. Will be traveling in and out sometimes during the winter months and can any body enlighten me on putting tire chains on the 2 outside wheels of the F-53 chassis.

Chains are required at certain times and I know the truckers have to as well when going through the passes???

Thank You,
gener@4fcg.com

Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
I can't help you much with chains, but I can give you an idea of what to say if a LEO stops you, and asks about them:

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have seen this question in the past, the general consensus is dont drive the RV if its that bad. Not worth it. Plus the can major cause damage if they break loose and flop around.

I was going to purchase something like that for emergencys. I hate to be "Slightly stuck" and I also hate waiting for help. So I purchased at 30 pull straps and D hooks along with a small plastic traction board to stick under one of the tires (its cheap and light - I can just leave on side of road once RV is moving if I want to).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by generoyer View Post
I,m owner of new 2018 Thor Ace 30.3 motorhome and reside in Reno NV. Will be traveling in and out sometimes during the winter months and can any body enlighten me on putting tire chains on the 2 outside wheels of the F-53 chassis.

Chains are required at certain times and I know the truckers have to as well when going through the passes???

Thank You,
gener@4fcg.com
Living in Reno I am sure you will be required to carry them even if you do not need to use them, especially heading west into CA. Of course, in the event you need them you would still be ticketed if you were interfering with the flow of traffic. The outside tire chains are easy to install and I would invest in a good pair of cable chains. They won't beat the rig up as bad as chain links do. I have seen the chain law in effect west of Reno as late as May.

Its time to stock up the rig with enough supplies to last 3 or 4 days if you need to lay over some where.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you have leveling jacks? They sure would make it easier to install the chains.