Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 12:50 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Here are the ways of keeping mice out of RVs in order from most effective (based on a Camp Addict Review) to least effective. (Hint- the first three are the only guarantees for keeping them out)

Block holes leading in from the inside
Block holes leading in from the outside
Build sheet metal tubes
Keep a very clean RV/pack food items away
Peppermint oil-soaked cotton balls
Fresh cab pouches
Lights under your RV
Open your motorhome hood
Irish spring soap
Mothballs
Cats
Dryer sheets
An RV cover

Not to mentioned and it is what I do whenever I plan to have parked in a area for a week or more, put the bait from Lowes around the perimeter (100 ft or so away from the coach) Before the Crazies start up, you can place bait so birds, cats and dogs etc. can't get at. I saw this being done at a few dealerships so I figure it must work. I have never seen a mouse near RV; so I can't really prove or disprove. But everytime I read threads like this I go place some bait out. I know we had one about a two years ago that had been living in the insulation of Refrigerator / freezer that was in garage. We never saw him, but I notice the bait was eaten every night. Eventually nothing happened so I assume they died elsewhere. Later my fan motor in garage fridge would go out and when I went to replace it; I could see where they had made it home.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
cut...

I have the DW making some heavy fabric panels with velcro sewn into the outer edges to cover the 3 or 4 slide openings for the rollers, plumbing, etc.

cut...
There's a chance you may be giving them something to naw at to build their nests. The best thing I know of to discourage mice from entry is steel wool. I use it around my sewer pipe at the entry. If they're there, they only get so far before it leaves a bad taste in their mouths and some life-threatening indigestion.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Herbal packs or other products sold at implement dealers work best

In our Landmark the mice slept on the dryer sheets after gnawing on the Irish spring

Fine steel wool and foam to plug any daylight

A trap in any storage area is a good thing
Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Herbal packs or other products sold at implement dealers work best

In our Landmark the mice slept on the dryer sheets after gnawing on the Irish spring

Fine steel wool and foam to plug any daylight

A trap in any storage area is a good thing
"mice slept on the dryer sheets after gnawing on the Irish spring"

Short research & Bounce dryer sheets are the best ones to use that have an effect on mice. However, dryer sheets will lose their scent, thereby, needing to be replaced at least every week or so to keep a strong enough aroma in your RV to repel a mouse.

But then look at this video ...

After that.... you are correct, dryer sheets can be perfect mouse mattresses for their new home in your RV.

I have also seen many videos of mice eating not only Irish Soap but the box in came in &

If you think about it; mice can live in and around poop sewers etc, how the nice smell of fragrance gonna repel them when they are looking for food?

So I will stick with my sure fire method.... just like when I wish to kill ants Amdro works 100% of the time, same goes for mice; properly used bait pellets / traps will work overnight if they are around 100% of the time.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #25

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Finally back to civilization and have cell service again ( should of stayed in the mountains it's much cooler) All good suggestions, when I get home I will slide under and look for other entry openings other than the one in the slide.
For now I will keep the trap out baited with chocolate chip cookies. LOL.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #18425
We use peppermint tea bags in all the cabinets, closets, etc and have had no mice. We used them at our home after a small mouse invasion last fall and they worked great.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #27

THOR #6903
Cashews or peanut butter always works for bait

If using poison it is best to use the type that stays in the bait station otherwise it gets relocated