Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Jeep and tow bar

We are new at RV'ing. Have a Quantum PD31 and are considering towing some kind of Jeep - preferably a smaller model. Interested in what model of Jeep to buy - we are told it must have ability to tow freely in neutral - and what kind of tow car package to buy. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Old 05-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
We tow a 2010 2 door Wrangler... great vehicle to tow.
General rule for Jeep - must be 4WD with ability to place transfer case in Neutral to be able to flat tow. (Owners manual rules here - but in the Wrangler family - 2WD cannot be flat towed.)

Many choices out there for tow bars. As the price goes up, the ability to connect/disconnect with vehicles uneven / not lined up appears...
Cheaper tow bars require both cars to be level and perfectly lined up (angle and distance). More expensive have arms that slide/turn to match any (reasonable) angle - then lock when you start towing - and a lever release that allows them to move again for disconnect.
I use the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain. Roadmaster and Blue Ox are probably the two most popular.

I would also recommend a supplemental braking system - again many choices - from drop in when needed to permanent install. All around $1000 it seems - install can push a permanent system higher depending on what you do yourself and the deal you get.
I use Roadmaster Invisibrake (permanent install).

My typical comment has been I'm towing a $40,000 car with a $100,000 MH (give or take) - don't skimp on what keeps them from colliding...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Great feedback! Thank you for the quick response.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Just provided some advise at this thread http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...info-7247.html. Head on over there and then give the folks at https://www.etrailer.com/ a look. Most questions answered straight forward.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane34F
State: Texas
THOR #7086
We tow a 2004 Jeep wrangler 2 door with an automatic transmission.
Transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park and one click on the key to unlock the steering wheel. It has a roadmaster stow away tow bar and use a Brake Buddy supplemental brake system.
The nice thing is it only weighs 3670 lbs at the scale so very easy to tow and well within our towing capacity. Very easy to hook and unhook. Plus when towing it does not put any miles on the odometer. We chose to buy a low mileage used one that was already set up for towing. Some RV dealers sell used Toads but we bought ours from a private party.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Just provided some advise at this thread http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...info-7247.html. Head on over there and then give the folks at https://www.etrailer.com/ a look. Most questions answered straight forward.

Ditto on etrailer! I've bought most of my setup there. Great prices, quick shipping, and very good customer support.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
2016 jeep patriot. 5sp. 4wd. blue ox base plate with blue ox avail tow bar.3250 lbs. don't know its back there .2016 axis 25-2
Old 05-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

Model: WINDSPORT
THOR #4417
Windsport 35C and we tow 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. We put transfer case in neutral, transmission in park. We had Jeep dealer install wiring to plug to motorhome for lights. We have the blue ox base plate with blue ox avail tow bar and Patriot brake system. No problems with towing it behind.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you go with a Jeep get the CoolTech wiring harness for tail and brake lights. CoolTech is literally plug and play with no modifications, super easy and reasonably priced.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
We tow a JKU. Blue Ox tow bar, base plate and breaking system. Used a Hopkins wiring harness for the tail lights.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #6820
We have a 36.1 Thor Palazzo
We just purchased a 4 Dr Rubicon after a lot of research and with the same deligence of search went with a Demco Tow Bar...EASY HOOK UP!! Wife has no problem with it whatsoever Happy Happy Happy
Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I've got a 2017 Challenger and I'm about to buy a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited as a toad. I'm wondering about powering the supplemental braking system. Most of the systems I've seen appear to use the toad's battery to power the brake system. I wonder if this is the best approach. Is there a single wiring harness available that would run the brake/rail lights, and power the brake system from the motorhome?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I have a blue ox base plate and tow bar, and a U.S. gear braking system. Towed our HHR for years behind our former 41 foot DP. Transferred the system to the Gemini, but have only towed once with it. Have never had any issue with the blue ox equipment, none. The U.S. gear system, uses the cars own power brakes, has its own vacuum pump, but the umbilical is wired so the cars battery trickle charges while you are in motion. Ten years of towing, and not once did I find a dead or even weak battery in the toad.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #14

THOR #6110
I'm in the same boat. Purchased my Challenger a few months ago. Just today bought a 2017 4Dr Wrangler 4WD.

Starting from scratch.
Troutkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I towed a Jeep for several years. Good tip I got from someone else was to have a new ignition key made without a chip. You can unlock the steering but the Jeep can't be started, don't have to worry about theft.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I don't work or have any affiliation with etrailer.com but these folks are TERRIFIC. Huge amount of informative videos and if you call them - they know what they are talking about. Their pricing is a competitive as you will find.

These folks will help make you smart. Just MHO.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
I've got a 2017 Challenger and I'm about to buy a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited as a toad. I'm wondering about powering the supplemental braking system. Most of the systems I've seen appear to use the toad's battery to power the brake system. I wonder if this is the best approach. Is there a single wiring harness available that would run the brake/rail lights, and power the brake system from the motorhome?
I bought a smile solar battery charger/maintainer. I put it on the dash, run cable out the driverside door and under the hood. It keep my battery charged, simple and fast no messing with car/RV wiring. It has a system to protect the car battery from being over charged.

KC
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
They all use the toads electrical system for power, for a very good reason. Should your toad break loose, the connection to your motorhome disconnects, and the braking system needs power to stop the toad. You should always use a breakaway cable. The standard is to wire the umbilical so when the toad is connected, and you are underway, the toads battery is trickle charged from the motorhomes electrical system. in over ten years of towing, using a U.S. Gear braking system, which uses its own vacuum pump, I never had a dead battery on the toad, or for that matter, even a weak one.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #19

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I towed a Jeep for several years. Good tip I got from someone else was to have a new ignition key made without a chip. You can unlock the steering but the Jeep can't be started, don't have to worry about theft.
I do the same with the HHR, just use a mechanical key, no chip, so it can't start the car, but it will in accessory position unlock the steering wheel. I then just lock the car, and don't even think about it again, until I unhook. In the Chevy, they tell you to pull fuse 8, which I wired a switch to do, disconnects all accessories, and the SRS system, so nothing runs while you are towing.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
They all use the toads electrical system for power, for a very good reason. Should your toad break loose, the connection to your motorhome disconnects, and the braking system needs power to stop the toad. You should always use a breakaway cable. The standard is to wire the umbilical so when the toad is connected, and you are underway, the toads battery is trickle charged from the motorhomes electrical system. in over ten years of towing, using a U.S. Gear braking system, which uses its own vacuum pump, I never had a dead battery on the toad, or for that matter, even a weak one.
What he said... lol...

The power for lights for the toad comes from the RV wiring harness...
The brake system has to be wired into the toad's battery for breakaway.

Like the U.S. Gear System, Roadmaster's Invisibrake also has its own vacuum pump (to use the toad's power brakes rather than dead pedal) - and also handles the charging of the toad battery from the RV.

Seems newer Blue Ox Patriot (portable) systems now come with their own on board battery. Haven't heard how long they last - or if they are charged from RV...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote