Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3401
My 2015 Axis 24.1

Just joined this form in hopes to get a better feeling of making a good decision in this purchase. I purchase my 2015 Axis in September of 2014 and to date have not been able to utilize as the product was designed, camping/traveling, due to so many issues with this unit. The unit has approximately 2600 miles on it all of which are from the factory to the Camping World in upstate New York where I made the purchase and back and forth from my home to the Camping World for repairs/fixes. The unit is currently back to the Thor factory having the entire front resealed and windows replace due to leaks/water damage. So to my question, even though over a year has passed do those having this same or like unit believe there is a bright light at the end of my tunnel? I so appreciate some support as when or when the unit is returned I will be able to enjoy this unit as designed? One note is that I have camped for many years and including the Axis I have another RV and that being a 5th wheel, which I keep in a campground all year long.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:40 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRohan View Post
Just joined this form in hopes to get a better feeling of making a good decision in this purchase. I purchase my 2015 Axis in September of 2014 and to date have not been able to utilize as the product was designed, camping/traveling, due to so many issues with this unit. The unit has approximately 2600 miles on it all of which are from the factory to the Camping World in upstate New York where I made the purchase and back and forth from my home to the Camping World for repairs/fixes. The unit is currently back to the Thor factory having the entire front resealed and windows replace due to leaks/water damage. So to my question, even though over a year has passed do those having this same or like unit believe there is a bright light at the end of my tunnel? I so appreciate some support as when or when the unit is returned I will be able to enjoy this unit as designed? One note is that I have camped for many years and including the Axis I have another RV and that being a 5th wheel, which I keep in a campground all year long.
I had the same issues with the front window on the passenger side. Thor would not stand behind the windows because 90 days had past. They had Camping World put this huge bead of silicon around the entire windows which looks terrible. Thor said I should have check my seals. The seal around my frame-less windows looks just like the seal on another Axis I saw sitting on the lot. Even the Camping World technician could not see anything wrong with the windows that I should have seen. I now have bubbles in the wall below the drives side window. I really understand why Thor has such a bad reputation.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
I now have bubbles in the wall below the drives side window.
Hmm we also have some bubbles in the wall below the passenger window but other than the wall issues there is no other evidence that our passenger window leaks. I wonder if our dealer discovered that and fixed it before we picked up our unit.

We've had it almost two years now and have never had the wall below the window get wet in the rain and we've driven through some nasty stuff at times.

Although the bubbles appear to only be in the wallpaper and given that we've seen the curtains disintegrate due to UV damage it is also possible that we're seeing UV damage on the wallpaper.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3401
Delamination

Jamie, as I understand the bubble issue in the walls, this is known as delamination. Delamination is where water has gotten into the fiberglass and begins to breakdown the glass. In my case this is just the latest issue with the Axis unit. I believe that the Camping World in Bath, NY could not handle this repair and thus called in a Thor technician. Said Thor representative found far more issues with leaks and made the call to recall my unit to the factory. Based on the units history since date of purchase, September 2014, I do not hold out much hope for this unit being a product that I would ever recommend to anyone. Also, based on all my communications with Thor representatives I strongly do not recommend their product, at least this one. I do also own a Heartland Big Horn 5th wheel, which has been an excellent unit. Just a side not the Camping World in Bath, NY has been closed.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRohan
Jamie, as I understand the bubble issue in the walls, this is known as delamination. Delamination is where water has gotten into the fiberglass and begins to breakdown the glass.
Yeah I know Delamination and what we have isn't delamination. The bubbles in our wall is really only limited to the wallpaper flaking off; the underlying structure is intact.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #1052
I had my 30.1 in for several items back in August one of which was the wall paper bubble described by you guys. The root cause was the slider on the drivers side (tool window)had a leak on top of the seal which on on first trip dripped down the window into the bottom of the window frame and seeped into the wall. It didn't seem like a lot of water but caused the wall paper to bubble. They resealed the window and checked it before stripping and replacing the wall paper. The damage was strictly on the paper, the thermobonded wall system was unaffected. Thor owned the problem and took care of it during the warranty period. I check the condition of sealant lines around all penetrations , frequently!

D
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Hmm we also have some bubbles in the wall below the passenger window but other than the wall issues there is no other evidence that our passenger window leaks. I wonder if our dealer discovered that and fixed it before we picked up our unit.

We've had it almost two years now and have never had the wall below the window get wet in the rain and we've driven through some nasty stuff at times.

Although the bubbles appear to only be in the wallpaper and given that we've seen the curtains disintegrate due to UV damage it is also possible that we're seeing UV damage on the wallpaper.
I thought it was just the wall paper as well. However, it turns out to be a major issue. In order to fix the bubbles you have to replace the entire wall board which will require the removal of the window. They quoted me close to 2,500 to repair the wall. They said the bubbles were due to water intrusion.