Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #19229
My 2017 35SF Super C rides like a B61 Mack Truck

Anyone have tried and true cures for my 2017 Thor Four Winds 35 SF Super C. The ride is jarring this rattle trap apart. Has the Continental Tires 225/70R 19.5 on leaf springs.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Did you buy it new or used? How many miles on the coach? Even though the RV is a 2017 what year was the chassis manufactured?

It could be that, based on mileage or time, it may be time to start looking at replacing shocks and bushings on the suspension system.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Get it scaled, each wheel. Then go to the tire web site and adjust the tire pressure accordingly to there charts. I’m sure you are not even close to the max tire capacity
Old 07-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

THOR #19229
I have gone to the tire mfg and have checked the pressure per their recommendations. I have also did the Ford tire pressures. No difference. Unit has 20K miles, shocks are good and all bushings are good, was all checked at the spring house. Someone said something about Sumo. Don't know if they ment tires or springs
Old 07-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
I have gone to the tire mfg and have checked the pressure per their recommendations. I have also did the Ford tire pressures. No difference. Unit has 20K miles, shocks are good and all bushings are good, was all checked at the spring house. Someone said something about Sumo. Don't know if they ment tires or springs
They are talking about Sumo Springs. See this website....

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/?g...MaAmRVEALw_wcB

I have a 2020 magnitude on a 2019 F-550. I think it rides fantastic compared to my last coach on the E-450.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #6

THOR #19229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
They are talking about Sumo Springs. See this website....

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/?g...MaAmRVEALw_wcB

I have a 2020 magnitude on a 2019 F-550. I think it rides fantastic compared to my last coach on the E-450.
Does your Magnitude have air ride? Also I will check on the Sumo Springs
Thank you Sir
Old 07-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Does your Magnitude have air ride? Also I will check on the Sumo Springs
Thank you Sir
My Magnitude does not have AirRide. I have been fairly happy with the ride so far. Debating on whether it is worth replacing the factory bumps stops with Sumo Springs.

The ride of the stock F-550 has been so much better than the my old E-450, I have not even entertained putting money into the F-550 like I did the E-450.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
My Magnitude does not have AirRide. I have been fairly happy with the ride so far. Debating on whether it is worth replacing the factory bumps stops with Sumo Springs.

The ride of the stock F-550 has been so much better than the my old E-450, I have not even entertained putting money into the F-550 like I did the E-450.

That’s because you already DID put extra money into the chassis when you opted for the 550 over a cheaper model... just sayin!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Sumo springs didn't do much for my f53. I just took them off and put on Kelderman Stage II front suspension. Ride is soooooo much better. I just checked thier website and they have an air suspension kit for the f550 for 1445 but you would have to call them to see if it will work on the RV chassis.
Quote:
Anyone have tried and true cures for my 2017 Thor Four Winds 35 SF Super C. The ride is jarring this rattle trap apart. Has the Continental Tires 225/70R 19.5 on leaf springs.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Sumo springs didn't do much for my f53. I just took them off and put on Kelderman Stage II front suspension. Ride is soooooo much better. I just checked thier website and they have an air suspension kit for the f550 for 1445 but you would have to call them to see if it will work on the RV chassis.

Sounds expensive! X2 on the Sumos. Glad you found something that works.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:33 AM   #11

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:

What Judge said. Going from the E450 to the F550 this year, HUGE difference.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:09 AM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:

Guessing you haven't driven I-25 through Colorado or I-94 south of Chicago yet
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The company I retired from leased nothing but Ford trucks, drove them daily for 30+ years, not exactly sure the reason only Ford's, but I can tell you it damn sure wasn't for ride quality, not to mention the fuel mileage or durability.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Model: 35SD
THOR #13667
My 2017 35sf Super C ride

I have a 2016 Four Winds Super C and I am very pleased with the ride. I have Continental Tires and found them very quite and the ride is very good. The tires are good in the rain and quite when roads are dry. I run 110 psi in the rear and 95 psi in the front. These are the recommended pressures. I am not impressed with the Thor part of the coach but the Ford part is great. Take it to a Ford Dealer that has a truck fleet shop and let them look at it.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard66 View Post
I have a 2016 Four Winds Super C and I am very pleased with the ride. I have Continental Tires and found them very quite and the ride is very good. The tires are good in the rain and quite when roads are dry. I run 110 psi in the rear and 95 psi in the front. These are the recommended pressures. I am not impressed with the Thor part of the coach but the Ford part is great. Take it to a Ford Dealer that has a truck fleet shop and let them look at it.

I’m curious how many miles you have on the Continental tires. I had a guy tell me a few weeks ago that he used to work for a company that had fleet trucks and the Continental tires would begin to self destruct at about 10,000 miles. He said the tread would start to peel off starting at the front of each “knob” on the tire. That’s the exact miles I have on mine and they still look good. Anyone see anything like this?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I’m curious how many miles you have on the Continental tires. I had a guy tell me a few weeks ago that he used to work for a company that had fleet trucks and the Continental tires would begin to self destruct at about 10,000 miles. He said the tread would start to peel off starting at the front of each “knob” on the tire. That’s the exact miles I have on mine and they still look good. Anyone see anything like this?
I had Continental tires on 2 Expeditions and they still passed safety inspections with 70,000 miles on them. On one of the Expeditions I never even had a flat tire with them. I replaced them at that point because that is when they would begin to hydroplane in heavy rain.

When I talked to the dealers about them they said the biggest reason folks had issues was they never had the vehicles alignments checked and rarely, if ever, rotated the tires.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post

Might be why they install steer tires on all six (at least they did on our coach), as they have no "knobs" and are built to a higher standard than drive tires.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Might be why they install steer tires on all six (at least they did on our coach), as they have no "knobs" and are built to a higher standard than drive tires.

Not sure what the difference is between steer and drive tires. The “knobs” I was referring to was each individual tread. The front of each tread on ours was just a trifle bit higher. He indicated that this was the start of the issue they saw on the fleet vehicles. Eventually the tread started to peel off. He said it only happened with the Continental tires. Just something to keep an eye on.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #19

Model: 35SD
THOR #13667
I have almost 30k on the tires with no problems
Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont have any experiance with the Ford F 550 but I know my old Jeep Wrangler with leave springs rides better when I replaced the OEM bushing (in the leave springs + shackles + Sway bar etc) with poly bushing that are greaseable and I upgraded the shocks.

The OEM shocks are nomally very cheap (lowest bidder get the job so they made very cheap) so I would upgrade your shocks with some quiality aftermarket ones ASAP (even with only 20K miles on your Ride).

Maybe try dropping your PSI 5 # per a tire?

Just some thoughts.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote