Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
National Park Service Senior Passes

I am told that the National Park Senior Pass is going up in price. Currently only $10.00, it is expected to soon go up to $80.00. That will still be a bargain in my book but then I guess I am biased. Keep in mind that this pass admits not just the senior but everyone in the car or RV with them. Gets discounts at all federally managed campgrounds in National Parks, BLM, National Forests, etc.
Also some concessionaire run sites on federal land. Always try, you might get it cheaper. At only $10.00, I carry a spare as well.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Casa, Thanks for the heads up! I've put off buying mine, no particular reason, guess I need to get it now before the price increase!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #3

Model: ACE
THOR #698
Not only to National parks but many state parks , COE, give a discount when you use the pass. In Florida, it is 50% off for campsites. We got two so when we go to the local Ft Pickens (Pensacola) CG we don't hook up the rv and my wife gets in free.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Just picked mine up today. Still $10. The lady said she had heard rumors of the increase but nothing official.
I suppose I should get the wife to get one too.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

THOR #5196
Just filled my application. If your wife is with you she doesn't need one, yours will cover up to four people in the same vehicle.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Just filled my application. If your wife is with you she doesn't need one, yours will cover up to four people in the same vehicle.
Please keep in mind that the person to whom it was issued must be present and provide identification. Grandma can't take the kids in on Granddads pass. My wife had a lady try using her late husbands pass with the excuse that she had his ashes with her. Doesn't work that way.
For ten dollars each you can both have one, even have a pair in both the RV
and the toad. It is a LIFETIME pass as long as you don't lose it or leave it at home. Too good a bargain to pass up.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

THOR #5196
With his ashes!!! Seriously!!! LMAO on that one! Guess people will try just about anything, certainly NEVER heard that one before. Certainly got my laugh for the day!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Best $20 we ever spent. As you get older and misplace things, it is nice to have a second one handy. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. I agree get one each.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
For ten dollars each you can both have one, even have a pair in both the RV
and the toad. It is a LIFETIME pass as long as you don't lose it or leave it at home. Too good a bargain to pass up.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
On the $10 pass, if you loose it you need to buy another one. I'm not sure if that is the case with the $80 one or not. Maybe there is a new plan for replacement for lost passes with the price increase. Just a guess though.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Best $20 we ever spent. As you get older and misplace things, it is nice to have a second one handy. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. I agree get one each.
After reading your post and thinking about it briefly, you have a very good point and I completely agree. Bad thing, or good thing depending on your point of view, is I married a younger woman and she isn't eligible yet! Lol
Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
On the $10 pass, if you loose it you need to buy another one. I'm not sure if that is the case with the $80 one or not. Maybe there is a new plan for replacement for lost passes with the price increase. Just a guess though.

John
Maybe there could be a replacement plan. I don't think anyone outside knows yet. BUT, being how underfunded the Park Service is, I would not bet seventy dollars on them trying to track those passes. You can choose to take that gamble if you want.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
With his ashes!!! Seriously!!! LMAO on that one! Guess people will try just about anything, certainly NEVER heard that one before. Certainly got my laugh for the day!

If you think that's funny:
1. In the HOV lane in Seattle a woman was cited for using the lane with only one person in the vehicle. She said she was pregnant and, in many jurisdictions, said a fetus is considered a living being. She still got a ticket.
2. Same HOV lane in Seattle. Man was cited driving a hearse. He stated he had a body in the back. Still got a ticket.
3. In the early years of the HOV lanes in Seattle they had an 800 number on signs asking people to report violators. So one morning I phoned the number from my office and reported a habitual violator. Woman asked me for license plate number. I replied 789WSP. She said WSP is Washington State Police. I said yes, I knew that, but the violator had no lights or siren on and were speeding. She said are you sure you want to report this, as you already gave your name and license number. Don't know what became of it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I got pulled over in the 4 person HOV lane going into the Pentagon one morning with my 5 year old and 1 year old in the back in car seats and my wife and I in the front The cop laughed and let me go on.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #14

THOR #5196
Marine, Those are funny too!!! The mother of stupid is always pregnant!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You can order the senior pass online on the usgs.org website, if you are willing to pay the additional $10 processing fee. You don't pay that fee if you buy at one of the sites.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:02 AM   #16

Model: RS26 Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #6144
I've had mine for some years but only got to use it once. It also gives you 50% off at campsites in the parks that have them - I think.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Don't confuse the NPS senior park pass with the interagency pass, golden age, two different critters.
The NPS senior pass may go up, but id NPS access only. The interagency pass gets you in to NPS parks free usually and camping is half price at all Federal CG's. Electric sites are extra.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote