Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4816
Turning Radius on Vegas 24.1

I recently traded in my 30-foot Southwind for the Vegas 24.1. One of the first things I noticed was the increased turning radius. The Southwind, although longer, turned on a dime while the Vegas seems to take a lot more space. Is this because the axles are further apart or something else?

Old 09-11-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Yes the longer the distance of the wheel base the larger the turning radius. Side not it generally gives you a better ride
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:23 AM   #3

THOR #4816
fhenn, thanks for confirming my suspicion. That bigger turning radius will take some getting used to.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can't really say that: The Southwind Class A's are built on the F-53 chassis and have a 208" wheelbase (http://fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrary/do.../2016_sw_b.pdf).

The Axis/Vegas units are built on the E-Series chassis with a 188" wheelbase--yes they are stretched from the standard wheelbase of the stripped chassis which does increase the turning radius from the unstretched chassis.

Unless, of course, your earlier Southwind was a Class C--then you can compare, but it is similar to the current Southwind's Class A's then its difficult to make a comparison.

In my experience I've been able to maneuver the Axis in some very tight spaces without issue (without having to do the shift to reverse thing) so I consider it a pretty good turning radius..but your mileage may vary as they say.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #5

THOR #4816
Jamie, my Southwind was a Class A built on the P-30 chassis. I'm really not sure how that compares.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow! Sorry for the assumption (since everyone uses Ford chassis these days, and it looks like the current Southwind is Ford given the above linked brochure).

Yeah not sure how that would compare between manufacturers.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In addition to wheelbase, front wheel cut angle plays a major role in turning radius.

I've never seen its front wheel cut angle published, but expect the Ford E-Series isn't great compared to some other vehicles based on relative turning radius when wheelbase was similar, or even when other vehicle's was longer. ProMaster, Transit, and Sprinter vans make for interesting comparisons to E-Series.