Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2021, 01:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
GPS Recommendations

Looking for peference of GPS options.l

Old 05-25-2021, 01:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Use the search feature. Bunch of threads already on the issue of GPS
Old 05-25-2021, 02:00 AM   #3

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Hi Jim,
I’ve done a little research and going with the Garmin RV 890. There is a newer version (1090); however, the only difference is the size of the screen (10 inch versus 8 inch). I’m actually good with the smaller version as to not obstruct my view (considering the TPMS screen and the dash cam).

Check YouTube for Changing Lanes GPS review. They do a good review between the Garmin 890 versus the Rand McNally 7.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 05-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have the older Garmin RV770 (not the trucker model)...I assume the newer versions are very similar. No issues. You program your RV specifics and it avoids low bridges, weight limits and other obstacles that may cause an issue. The "voice command" is great.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Any unit that starts with "Garmin"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:46 AM   #6

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
I have a Garmin RV-785 w/traffic. I am very disappointed in this unit and its all map related. The map is severely outdated and I have the latest maps and software. It constantly sends me on poor routings and away from newly finished (2+ year old) roads. The speed limit change notification would be cool if it matched what the street signs say and lane departure function was ok, front end collision warning I had to disable as every car that decided to slide into my lane in front of me trips it. The dash cam function is very nice and works well. But I purchased it for 2 reasons the GPS and camera and would not repurchase this unit because it is not a GPS that I have any confidence in and my wife is now constantly keeping the google map app available to double check our route. How @$#$ed up is that.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

THOR #22781
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wagner View Post
Old 05-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #8

THOR #22781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Hi Jim,
I’ve done a little research and going with the Garmin RV 890. There is a newer version (1090); however, the only difference is the size of the screen (10 inch versus 8 inch). I’m actually good with the smaller version as to not obstruct my view (considering the TPMS screen and the dash cam).

Check YouTube for Changing Lanes GPS review. They do a good review between the Garmin 890 versus the Rand McNally 7.

Good luck,
Pat
Thanks
Old 05-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

THOR #22781
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I have the older Garmin RV770 (not the trucker model)...I assume the newer versions are very similar. No issues. You program your RV specifics and it avoids low bridges, weight limits and other obstacles that may cause an issue. The "voice command" is great.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have tried them all and don't trust any completely

RM with the latest firmware and maps is currently the best

Always double check any questionable routes and Earth is sure a nice tool for tighter areas
Old 05-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #11

THOR #22781
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

Always double check any questionable routes and Earth is sure a nice tool for tighter areas
Thanks
Old 05-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

I wouldn’t use another RM GPS to take the trash to the street. Had 2 and they were both dangerous in built up areas. Sold the last RM RV unit to a trucker for 10.00 with POS disclaimer. Yes, they were updated with firmware and software.

Garmin is safer and far superior. RM needs to stick with what they do best, the paper atlas.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #13

THOR #23131
I have been using Garmin products since forever, I had so much confidence in what the company sold that after I plugged in my RV-785 and it turned on, I discarded all the packaging. If I had the packaging I would return this in a nano second. The mapping and routing features of my unit lead me top believe Garmin sees no $$$ in the RV market, hence no updates to maps. Lastly for the record, I am not speaking backroads, I am talking about interstates or "I" routes which makes this harder to swallow.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #14

THOR #22781
Thanks good insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I wouldn’t use another RM GPS to take the trash to the street. Had 2 and they were both dangerous in built up areas. Sold the last RM RV unit to a trucker for 10.00 with POS disclaimer. Yes, they were updated with firmware and software.

Garmin is safer and far superior. RM needs to stick with what they do best, the paper atlas.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wagner View Post
I have an older Garmin 3590LMT which I love. With the help of the POI Factory, it does all my planning and navigation. It has a five inch high res screen and is fully voice controlled. It does takes a while to get all the software support to work together.

Garmin has kept the maps and software updated for the past 8 years free of charge.

I suppose now is a good time to explain why the maker of GPS is so important. A GPS satellite transmits a time based signal that the computer in the display interprets as a line of position or a circle around the satellite where the device is located. By receiving 2 to 6 satellite's signals simultaneously the device can know where it is located on the surface of the earth with an accuracy of 60 meters down to 3 cm depending on the device's computer and the number of satellites being received. Heading is derived by device movement, so the heading is never accurate until the device has moved a considerable distance. Velocity is also dependent on actual movement. Accuracy depends on the speed and precision of the GPS's computer.
The map display comes from the GPS's map memory. The map is stored as individual digital bits of information assembled by an algorithm. All this is dependent on the manufacturer. POIs (points of interest) are held in a separate folder and are easily changed by the user if memory is available. Alerts are programmable by types POIs and distanced the alert is sounded. Actually the alerts are speed dependent. At 60 mph the alert is about 5 km from the point and second alert about 500 meters for the point. At 30 mph the alert is about 600 meters from the point and again at 200 meters from the point. This really helps in finding an obscure campground.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #16

THOR #22781
Thanks very good information
Old 05-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
When such good specific cross referenceable apps are available on android, all running at the same time, all with downloadable off-line maps, all updating by themselves and customizable down to telling you gas prices and antique store and pharmacy locations, telling you of group sourced traffic info good down to an update being done just a minute ahead of you in traffic, telling you the name and address and sometimes phone number of properties you pass, telling you if you're on private or government land as you travel....

How is there any value to a stand alone unit?

You guys are talking about typewriters in a word processing world.
Almost any $10 yard sale android will do all of the above.

I've been doing this since Street Atlas for windows 3.0, maybe Street Atlas for DOS.
Mine is not a new consideration.

But:
I sway easily. Convince me as to why I should buy a standalone one trick pony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-05-26-12-07-43.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	30814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-05-26-12-07-32.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	30815  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-05-26-12-07-26.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	30816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-05-26-12-07-18.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	30817  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
When such good specific cross referenceable apps are available on android, all running at the same time, all with downloadable off-line maps, all updating by themselves and customizable down to telling you gas prices and antique store and pharmacy locations, telling you of group sourced traffic info good down to an update being done just a minute ahead of you in traffic, telling you the name and address and sometimes phone number of properties you pass, telling you if you're on private or government land as you travel....

I've been doing this since Street Atlas for windows 3.0, maybe Street Atlas for DOS.

But:
And what you are talking about are distractions and information overload. No Thank You. I'll do my planning before the trip and plug the route into the GPS.

Too many distracted drivers as it is.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #19

THOR #23131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Almost any $10 yard sale android will do all of the above.

But:
Last thing I'm trying to do is "sway you" ! The OP asked for recommendations and I responded with my experiences.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And what you are talking about are distractions and information overload. No Thank You. I'll do my planning before the trip and plug the route into the GPS.

Too many distracted drivers as it is.
I can download it all in advance.
But, I have choices, Waze is missing my entire neighborhood. If sygic starts running me off on every off ramp(it hasn't but my old Garmin did) I hit a button and I'm using TRUCK instead. If TRUCK won't run me off road and I want to dirt road it through the lower road of arches national park(great road. We were on it at height of the season and only saw 3 other vehicles in 25 miles,), I hit mytrails.

I needn't use it all, but I have it all available.
Split screen with maybe Waze and sygic is as distracted as I could get. Sygic says outloud when I'm close to an antique store.

Both talk, so no distraction other than knowing there's a car blocking my next exit and has been there for only the last five minutes.

About the sway comment:
You swayed me by having knowledge based on comparison and history. I trust the opinion and would follow it if I was in the market for something with limited use such as a stand alone.
My asking to be swayed was for those who have only owned a single unit or brand and me wanting to know WHY they think its the best if they've only had the one....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote