Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Need help - Wipers won't shut off while engine running

Hi all...

Coach: 2016 Thor Hurricane 29M

I have an interesting problem...my wipers will go on and turn off if the key is in ACC mode; but if the engine is running and I turn the wipers on, they won't shut off. The wiper control is on the turn signal.

I don't know if the wipers have an intermittent setting, but if so, that doesn't work...they just go from slow to fast. Can someone tell me if the wipers should have an intermittent setting where they pause between wipes?

Considering that the motor will "park" when in ACC mode, this would indicate to me the motor is working fine, and also the switch/speed setting on the turn signal.

So perhaps the wiper controller?? Or perhaps some relay that is being engage/disengaged when the engine is running?

The thing is, trying to find where stuff is at is nearly impossible on this things...nothing is labeled. I even see some relays hanging in mid-air in the engine compartment on the drivers side...haven't a clue what they do or go to.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The wipers should have a rotating knob that changes the delay of the intermittent setting. The last two "clicks" are constant slow and constant fast.

I can't explain the weird behavior.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #3

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The wipers should have a rotating knob that changes the delay of the intermittent setting. The last two "clicks" are constant slow and constant fast.

I can't explain the weird behavior.
Thanks...at least I know they should have an intermittent setting. None of the positions provide that function.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #4

THOR #3923
I'm resurrecting this thread...

As I initially said, this perplexes me. When the key is in "ACC" (engine not running) and I turn on let them wipe a couple of strokes and turn them off...they "park".

Now, if I start the engine and do the same thing, the wipers never park...they just keep wiping back and forth.

While they are wiping back and forth, if I stop the engine then start it back up, they park...go figure.

I would think if it was the multifunctional switch on the column was back, then why would it work in ACC mode? Same goes for the wiper motor, I would think if that had an issue, they would never park.

I have replaced the control module with no success.

Anyone??
Old 08-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #5

THOR #3923
Anyone out there?
Old 08-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I haven’t a clue. Seems the wipers match your handle. Just plain wacky. Mine has no ACC mode. Just off, on, and start. All I can add is to be careful with your head stuck in the engine space. It’s easy to lose skin in there.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #7

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I haven’t a clue. Seems the wipers match your handle. Just plain wacky. Mine has no ACC mode. Just off, on, and start. All I can add is to be careful with your head stuck in the engine space. It’s easy to lose skin in there.
I sent an email over to Thor Tech Support asking them if they have a wiper/multifunctional switch diagram for my coach. I have found some online, but they are all different.

I'm thinking this is a ground problem...where a ground gets disconnected when the engine is running....yet is connected in ACC mode.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Buy a 12v probe tester and figure it out

It is the only way your going to find where the extra circuit is connected
Old 08-09-2022, 04:43 PM   #9

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Buy a 12v probe tester and figure it out

It is the only way your going to find where the extra circuit is connected
Easier said than done...and not only that what makes you think I don't have one or a volt meter? Or that I'm an electronic engineer...which I am.

Without a schematic/wiring diagram having a test probe is useless in tracking down what goes where, what relays are involved, what CPU/controller(s) are doing what.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
What did you find so far? Testing yhat is

You have a situation that might not be on a print
Old 08-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
What did you find so far? Testing yhat is

You have a situation that might not be on a print
Pretty much what I have already stated. I replaced the control module. Removed some of the relays in the engine compartment and cleaned the contacts, removed the multifunction switch and took it apart which was all clean. I also went around taping on about every relay I could find. I contacted Thor TS to see if I can get a schematic for the setup, and they sent me a wiring diagram which is pretty much useless...they said I need to contact Ford.

The thing that is puzzling to me is why they work in ACC..they will turn on/off and park. Turn the engine on, turn the wipers on...go to turn them off and they won't shut off. If I shut the engine off, they will park. So, I wouldn't think it would be the multifunction switch or the wiper motor. I think it's some relay that is getting activated when the engine is running that disconnects the ground.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Can you turn your radio on & off when in ACC mode?

Do you need wipers in ACC mode? Seems like you have 12v either way, so is there an option to supply power from ACC source even when Engine is running? Of find new ground when engine is running.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #13

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can you turn your radio on & off when in ACC mode?

Do you need wipers in ACC mode? Seems like you have 12v either way, so is there an option to supply power from ACC source even when Engine is running? Of find new ground when engine is running.
Yes, I can turn the radio off/off...no problem. Everything works fine...on the multifunction switch...high beams, momentary high beams, washer squirter, turn signals, wipers in internment mode.

I agree...the 12volts has got to be there, cause the wipers work in ACC and in "RUN"....they just don't shut off when the engine is running.

I have also connected up a ground to the wiper motor...no change.

I have a generic wiper motor circuit and I see there are two grounds on the control module (Pin 3 and 5). I was going to see if perhaps I'm losing one. or even jumper them...but before I did that, I want to make sure I have an accurate diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper control diagram3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	39078
Old 08-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #14

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Run a ground wire from 57BLK "at the module" to the battery negative. See if this fixes it. I suspect either a floating ground or defective multi function switch. The ground wire test will determine if the ground at the module is floating.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
I would be testing the Switch , we are talking about the Ing. Switch , right . They do have a service life & are used quite often .
Old 08-13-2022, 06:37 PM   #16

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Run a ground wire from 57BLK "at the module" to the battery negative. See if this fixes it. I suspect either a floating ground or defective multi function switch. The ground wire test will determine if the ground at the module is floating.
I did that...no change.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #17

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
I would be testing the Switch , we are talking about the Ing. Switch , right . They do have a service life & are used quite often .
We are "talking" about the Multi-switch (wiper control/turn signal/washer).

This coach has less than 5K miles on it.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #18

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Since the ground is good, and the module has been replaced, it has to be the MFS.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #19

THOR #3923
Here is an update...first of all, the enclosed diagram is what I got from Ford.

On pin 13 of the Wiper Control Module is the following - In a nutshell pin 13 does not go to zero volts when the wipers are turned off while the engine is on....but does go to zero volts when in ACC mode which it should.

On ACC Mode
Wipers in Off mode - O-volts
Intermittent - cycles 10-volts (Wipers on) to about .2 volts (wipers off)

In Run Mode
Wipers in Off mode - Initially 0-volts
Intermittent - cycles as above
Turning wipers off - does not go to 0-volts (as it should) - stays at about 12volts.

Wipers and Control module.pdf
Old 08-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #20

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Since the ground is good, and the module has been replaced, it has to be the MFS.
That's what I'm thinking....off to find a MFS.