Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Need more power scottie!!!!!!

We own a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. Last year I had J.C. Refridgeration in Indiania swap out the N611 Norcold guts and install a 12v system. We love it and it works great but when we Boon-Dock the batteries won't last over night!! I just put in new Deka RV-Marine batteries, and a Quick Fill system to keep them topped off with distilled water. I have a 135 watt portable solar panel but I wondered if anyone has put in a 3rd battery and where I could even mount it? Is there maybe a small battery that would fit in front of the two batteries in the battery compartment or would I have to get someone to weld up a support next to the existing compartment??? HELLLLLPPP; Bob Trice

Old 05-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup; you need more (and maybe larger) batteries. Your solar setup (is it Samlex?) is a good start; but could also use some more help...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
You need to know just how much power you are using from your battery. Then you will know just how much you are short on battery power. You will need more than the minimum because batteries do loose capacity over time. Your solar power is with full sunshine on it and is good for 1/2 of that for recharging since lead acid batteries take twice as much power to recharge as they will give out.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You need more batteries, probably lithium, and more charging capability to deal with the higher DC loads of a compressor fridge.

You can probably double your battery capacity by switching the two existing batteries to lithium. Then you may have to change out your converter to take advantage of lithium's quicker charging capability.

For more DC charging upgrade the converter as above, but that only helps when running the generator while dry camping. Or add more solar panels but that only helps if you are not camping in a shaded area.

Compressor fridges are not a good solution if you dry camp for more than a day at a time. My absorption fridge uses about 35 amp hours for it and other loads. A compressor fridge would probably triple that usage.

David
Old 05-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
MLP

THOR #17478
Our home fridge in the stick and brick uses just 1.5 amps. The one in the motor home which is eight years old uses 5.3 amps. So it depends on which fridge and how old on how much the compressor fridge uses. Modern fridges are quit efficient, but you got to start with knowing just how much power it consumes first and work from there. I have 500 watts of solar, but with a fridge that uses 5.3 amps it would be iffy and I haven't check the power consumption with a meter. A new fridge using 1 amp would be better for me without making other changes so long as I do not want to run the generator. Fridges don't run 100% and the cycling and it depends on just how much you open them up and just how hot it is as well. So a good power meter that keeps track of the power consumed over a few days would be the best bet on knowing how much battery power and solar power you need. Yes the best compressor fridges use just over 3X the wattage as an absorption fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-E...7J6SD4R8&psc=1
Old 05-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You are comparing 12V DC at 5.3 amps with 120V AC at 1.5 amps. Convert both to watts which is the way to measure energy used and you are talking about 64 watts and 180 watts respectively.

David
Old 05-02-2021, 11:05 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
It may be necessary to convert to Lithium batteries to get the power you need.
Not just a simple install. Good discussion here: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-26210.html
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:03 AM   #8

THOR #9553
Thank You for all the replies and suggestions! I think from the bulk of the comments many are not seeing what I'm looking for. We don't Boon-Dock a lot and when we do, it's one night then on to another location. The batteries have time to charge during the drive and what I need is a way to keep my volts over 12 by the next morning. I don't have thousands of $$$$ to invest in Lithium batts, a new converter or inverter or whatever needed for days at a time. I'd like somebody, anybody to tell me an inexpensive way to add a 12v battery to the 2 in the battery compartment for more amp hours. The group 27 is as big as I can go with. Do they make a thin 12v battery that might fit in front of the battery box? Can a 3rd battery even be added to the coach without damage to the system??? These are things I don't have experience with and don't want to create a nightmare!!! Thanks; Bob
Old 05-03-2021, 01:06 AM   #9

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup; you need more (and maybe larger) batteries. Your solar setup (is it Samlex?) is a good start; but could also use some more help...
It's a portable 135 watt solar panel that folds in half. Has clips that you connect to the positive and negative posts. On a sunny day it works great, but when you get somewhere with only a couple hours of daylight left, that ain't much good Bob
Old 05-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It’s pretty easy and cost effective to add a third or fourth battery to your coach as long as you can find a place to put them and can deal with the extra weight. If your batteries are under the steps you might be able to get a third one in there or you can modify an adjacent compartment for the weight and ventilation.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can't help it...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #12

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It’s pretty easy and cost effective to add a third or fourth battery to your coach as long as you can find a place to put them and can deal with the extra weight. If your batteries are under the steps you might be able to get a third one in there or you can modify an adjacent compartment for the weight and ventilation.
There is actually enough room in the front of the battery compartment for one more. I had to remove the metal plate about an inch tall that was in front of the battery, remove the cord hole fixture and the flip up tie down do-dad so the battery could sit flush and will put it in tomorrow I hope!!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
There is actually enough room in the front of the battery compartment for one more. I had to remove the metal plate about an inch tall that was in front of the battery, remove the cord hole fixture and the flip up tie down do-dad so the battery could sit flush and will put it in tomorrow I hope!!

Good job. Let us know how it works.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #14

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
We own a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. Last year I had J.C. Refridgeration in Indiania swap out the N611 Norcold guts and install a 12v system. We love it and it works great but when we Boon-Dock the batteries won't last over night!! I just put in new Deka RV-Marine batteries, and a Quick Fill system to keep them topped off with distilled water. I have a 135 watt portable solar panel but I wondered if anyone has put in a 3rd battery and where I could even mount it? Is there maybe a small battery that would fit in front of the two batteries in the battery compartment or would I have to get someone to weld up a support next to the existing compartment??? HELLLLLPPP; Bob Trice
Just installed the 3rd battery this morning. Went very easy and I have the fridge and a couple lights on watching the volt meter. Hope this thing stays above 12v over night!!! Keeping fingers crossed and will let you all know in a few days. Bob
Old 05-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I'm not being snarky but have you considered turning the fridge off when you go to bed? It shouldn't lose much of the "coolth" by morning if it's kept closed.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #16

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I'm not being snarky but have you considered turning the fridge off when you go to bed? It shouldn't lose much of the "coolth" by morning if it's kept closed.
Good thought!! Another option would be to install a (12VDC) timer and have it set for one hour "on"/one hour "off" for the evenings. Then you are only using half the power (assuming it runs all the time).
Old 05-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #17

State: Kentucky
THOR #18544
more power

When I Boondock I shut the outside refrigerator off and leave the interior refrigerator on gas and have plenty of power in the morning
Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
If it doesn't lose much of the "coolth" then it wouldn't run anyway even if left on.

To minimize runtime at night when there is no solar charging get a few "Ice Paks" like these:

I get them for free with my injectable medicine. Put them in the freezer during the day and transfer them to the fridge after dark. You could do the same thing with water bottles.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
10% off on amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	30413  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote