Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 29TB
State: North Carolina
THOR #19295
New Citation owner with a couple of questions

Good morning! I just purchased a 2013 Thor Citation 29TB and am really excited to get on the road!

The RV has 11500 miles and we had a thorough inspection done by an RV tech before purchasing. I had a couple of questions if someone could chime in I would appreciate it.

1. The exhaust pipe for the generator hangs much lower than anything else on the underside of the coach. Is this normal? I got down there and looked and it appears to be mounted solidly and doesn't look like it has ever been hit or damaged. Just concerns me a little with how low it is.

2. The awning appears to have LEDs but I can't figure out how to turn them on. There are 4 buttons by the stairwell, one is to turn the battery connection on/off, one is for the awning extent/retract, one is to turn the porch light on (the porch light works, alternates from white to yellow when switched) and one that appears to turn the awning on/off to engage/retract it. I have several remote controls but none of them appears to be for the awning. I do have the key fob that locks/unlocks the front doors and it has a key on there that says 'option' and I haven't tried it yet and I haven't gotten up there to take a look at any connections yet. Is there something else I am missing?

I appreciate any and all feedback and am excited to join the group!

Joseph

Old 06-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
One of the unlabeled switches is for the awning LEDs

Good luck with your new to you Citation.
I don't have a Citation but I do have the same 4 switches. The one labeled extend retract is the awning switch, and the only awning switch. The unlabeled switches control lights--the one for the porch light you know, the other is for the awning LEDs. If the LEDs don't come on it could be the wiring at the switch or at the awning, but is is also likely that the LEDs are burned out. Often those switches get turned on by accident and with the awning rolled up you don't know. While LEDs have a long life, if accidentally left on for months at a time they can burn out (there are 8760 hours in a year). If power is going to the LEDs and they are off the LED strip is not hard to replace. To avoid that project I replaced those rocker switches with LED rocker switches so I know when the porch and LED lights are on. Time to take out your multimeter.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This was an excellently descriptive and warranted first post.

While an excellent source of worry and hesitation, that pipe is exactly where it should be.
It wasn't a problem in the last 11,500 miles, it shouldn't be one in the future.
(I'd worry sick about it for the first few outings if it were mine, but then it would become just like the mirrors: something you unconsciously adjust your path so as to not hit anything.

The pipe is correct. You'll be OK.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I read here (but have not looked) that the fuse for the LED lights is in the wiring just behind the switch.

Generator exhaust. Do they have a caution about running the generator with the slide extended? My 2016 (24ST twin bed) the genny exhaust is out the back.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

THOR #19295
All great replies! I'll do some checking this weekend and see if I can find where the culprit is in the awning lights. Since the generator exhaust has been good all this time I'll leave it alone and refrain from doing any hard 4 wheeling in the RV

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #6

THOR #19295
I got up on a ladder the other day and tested the LED lights and couldn't find any power to them regardless of what switches were on. I did find a hot wire near the connection and installed a switch going to it and now they come on! I don't think the previous owner ever had them working. All good to go now!
Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that you were able to, "git 'er done!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #19623
We are looking at a 2016 Thor Sprinter 24SA / 25' . They had it listed for $72K. Keep us posted on how you like it. We have a 30' 2017 Rockwood TT and Ram 2500 we're downsizing from.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #9

THOR #19295
We're taking an 8 night trip starting tomorrow. I'll let you know how everything went when we get back.