Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2021, 03:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17954
New Ford V8 Godzilla your not

Well besides the well known spark plug wire and coil issues, the real issue is poor motor home mpg. Was in Bryce Canyon and it was cool to meet up with four new ford V8 motor home owners. Best mpg in the group was Bob and Karen from Tucson AZ. With 3200 miles on their coach they were averaging 8.2.
Bob said it was a disappointment but he suspects that once the coaches get married to the new 8 speed transmission there should be an improvement. For now even with the new F53 chassis Ford is supplying the six speed.
David Field an his wife Sheri are experiencing misfires. For what has been research it falls under the China spark plug wire and coils Ford used. The good news, no power or torque complaints. Also everyone was happy with the new chassis with 22 inch tires. They all said ride was stable and comfortable. The only other semi complaint was engine noise when climbing or on higher revs.
I’m sure Ford will get the bugs out soon. As in any other new design it takes time.
Hopefully this helps future buyers. The more information you can gather the better. Word of mouth is the best tool. Gina and Richard harkened back to their previous Forest River V-10. Over 78k on her never an engine problem. But they do love their 2021 Integra.

Happy thanksgiving all
Enjoy stay safe

Old 11-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Motorhome MPG has more to do with motorhome and its size (weight and aerodynamics) and driving conditions than with differences in engines alone.

How do we know if 8.2 MPG is good or bad? Did friends have same MH model with V10, or are they comparing to a minivan? How fast were they driving, 60 or 80 MPH?

Perhaps you can share pertinent data for comparison.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:48 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sometimes I think I got lucky getting "stuck" with the last of the legacy V10 engines (2020 model year). It really screams when tasked... but it's built for that. And the design lasted for 20 years for a reason.

But a few thoughts. The V-10 became a great workhorse engine because over it's 20+ year run the bugs were eventually worked out, and it evolved through upgrades. I'm sure the Godzilla engine will eventually do the same... growing pains.

Gas mileage is all relative... coach weight and cargo, mountains, headwind... many variables make it nearly impossible to compare... it's always apples to oranges. 8 to 10 mpg seems to be the norm... sometimes even less, but RARELY better than 10ish.

Although the horsepower was increased, I think the torque is what adds value. BUT, I have heard little comment about torque making a difference. To truly give perspective, you would need a person who graduated to the V-8 from the V-10... in a similar motorhome.

The Godzilla engine is the result of Ford consolidating to similar engine construction. The V-10 was an outlier... it didn't fit their one size fits all scheme... albeit with different displacement. I can see Ford eventually dropping the Coyote and using "de-tuned" versions of Godzilla.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:58 AM   #4

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Motorhome MPG has more to do with motorhome and its size (weight and aerodynamics) and driving conditions than with differences in engines alone.

How do we know if 8.2 MPG is good or bad? Did friends have same MH model with V10, or are they comparing to a minivan? How fast were they driving, 60 or 80 MPH?

Perhaps you can share pertinent data for comparison.

Hey Chance great to hear from you. Hope you and your family are well.
I guess I should have mentioned Doug. He has a 2020 Jayco 34G with the new F53 Chassis and 7.3 V8. Traded a 2018 V-10 Jayco 34G. He’s so ticked off at the mpg I didn’t go there. Guess I should of. His best was 7.6. His 2018 V-10 always got 8.5 to 9.
Then again his worst experience was waiting six months in the shop after 2400 miles waiting on new wires and coils. Looking at Ford’s own Godzilla issues , wether Super Duty or Motor Home , besides poor Mph, the electrical problem with the Chinese Spark Plug wires and coils is a well dock issue. As I mentioned I’m sure Ford will fix any issues in time. Also mpg should jump with the eight speed. Although owners of Super Duties on the forums say mpg is still poor. Time is the test, reliability is what we all seek.
Happy thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #5

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Sometimes I think I got lucky getting "stuck" with the last of the legacy V10 engines (2020 model year). It really screams when tasked... but it's built for that. And the design lasted for 20 years for a reason.

But a few thoughts. The V-10 became a great workhorse engine because over it's 20+ year run the bugs were eventually worked out, and it evolved through upgrades. I'm sure the Godzilla engine will eventually do the same... growing pains.

Gas mileage is all relative... coach weight and cargo, mountains, headwind... many variables make it nearly impossible to compare... it's always apples to oranges. 8 to 10 mpg seems to be the norm... sometimes even less, but RARELY better than 10ish.

Although the horsepower was increased, I think the torque is what adds value. BUT, I have heard little comment about torque making a difference. To truly give perspective, you would need a person who graduated to the V-8 from the V-10... in a similar motorhome.

The Godzilla engine is the result of Ford consolidating to similar engine construction. The V-10 was an outlier... it didn't fit their one size fits all scheme... albeit with different displacement. I can see Ford eventually dropping the Coyote and using "de-tuned" versions of Godzilla.

Well said. I concur.
Happy thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2021, 05:18 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
I guess I should have mentioned Doug. He has a 2020 Jayco 34G with the new F53 Chassis and 7.3 V8. Traded a 2018 V-10 Jayco 34G. He’s so ticked off at the mpg I didn’t go there. Guess I should of. His best was 7.6. His 2018 V-10 always got 8.5 to 9.
Then again his worst experience was waiting six months in the shop after 2400 miles waiting on new wires and coils. Looking at Ford’s own Godzilla issues , wether Super Duty or Motor Home , besides poor Mph, the electrical problem with the Chinese Spark Plug wires and coils is a well dock issue. As I mentioned I’m sure Ford will fix any issues in time. Also mpg should jump with the eight speed. Although owners of Super Duties on the forums say mpg is still poor. Time is the test, reliability is what we all seek.
Happy thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving! ...so does Doug mention anything about the torque difference between his old V-10 and new V-8? Specs show it, but the proof is in the driver's seat when climbing hills, etc.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #7

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Happy Thanksgiving! ...so does Doug mention anything about the torque difference between his old V-10 and new V-8? Specs show it, but the proof is in the driver's seat when climbing hills, etc.

Well Actually called Doug and wished him and his wife Nancy ,happy 50th wedding anniversary. November 2nd. He sold his Motor Home. Gonna look again after the 1st of the year. Wants a diesel pusher.
When the torque issue came up all that was mentioned was could not really notice big difference if any pulling their jeep but seemed better in the mountains on climbs. Thus Chance the new torque an asset as I see it. Yet not always required. Ford has only mentioned that the new V8 won’t rev as high as the V-10. So I looked at the torque curves and the new V8 developed torque faster at lower RPM. Nice design, more inline with their present engine lineup.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
Happy thanksgiving
Thanks Luke, and happy thanksgiving to you and your family.

I’m on second V10 and it has well over 200,000 miles so not complaining at all, but it’s all relative since engine is only moving a small van with about 50 square feet of frontal area instead of 100 square feet; hence it’s no surprise my V10 can still get 16 MPG if I drive at typical motorhome speeds. It’s the small size and low weight of van that doubles my fuel economy, not the engine. My previous V10 moved a compact Class C and I got 8 MPG.

By the way, there is no Ford truck 8-speed transmission that I’m aware of. The newer Super Duty pickups have 10 speeds, while heavy trucks and motorhomes have retained the previous 6 speed 6R140. I seriously doubt the newer 10R140 would improve fuel economy very much on a large Class A. The new 10-speed is more useful on a pickup which sometimes runs empty and other times pulls a 30,000-pound trailer. Motorhomes don’t have that much swing in weight or aerodynamics, so gearing can be selected in advance to be very efficient even with a 6-speed transmission.

I personally like the retro pushrod V8 design and would prefer it over my V10 any day even though I don’t own one.

As matter of history, the V10 was a huge engineering compromise that came about because Ford had to build a large truck engine based off their 4.6L SOHC car engine. They increased deck height, stroked it as much as possible, added two cylinders, and a balance shaft to reduce vibration. Granted that it’s durable, in large part because it doesn’t make much power.

P.S. — New V8 is much faster revving engine than V10; Ford just cuts off power at 3,900 RPM on commercial and motorhome applications. Otherwise, its maximum power is above the V10’s redline.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I find it interesting that the same 7.3L is used in the F53 chassis and the E350 chassis.

The same engine is powering either a tiny 24 foot Vegas or a much bigger 35 foot Ace.

My little Vegas 24.1 really scoots with the 7.3L and gets 12.5 mpg too doing it.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I find it interesting that the same 7.3L is used in the F53 chassis and the E350 chassis.

The same engine is powering either a tiny 24 foot Vegas or a much bigger 35 foot Ace.

My little Vegas 24.1 really scoots with the 7.3L and gets 12.5 mpg too doing it.

Nice. Not the case obviously with the 29ft an up ACE.. Other Thor 2022 Axis and Vegas with the New V8 , owners are saying 9.5 to 10. Thor specs mpg at 10 mpg. Great to hear your success.
Happy thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How many miles on that V8?

I'm only asking because the V-10 was known to pick up .5-1 mpg after about 10,000 miles. All 3 of mine did that. Perhaps the V8 does the same.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #12

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How many miles on that V8?

I'm only asking because the V-10 was known to pick up .5-1 mpg after about 10,000 miles. All 3 of mine did that. Perhaps the V8 does the same.

6878 no change yet. My 30.1 ACE with 54k always got 8.5 to 9+. Never really babied it either
Old 11-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post

That much engine (7.3L) is not “needed” for smaller motorhomes, but it would probably cost Ford more to manufacture a smaller version given that additional fuel economy would be minor; particularly in light of how few E-350 and E-450 are sold annually.

An inline 6-cylinder version with 5.5L would be great for E-350 but I’m sure it would be cost prohibitive; not to mention most RV buyers would prefer the greater power of the V8.

For what it’s worth, Ford makes an “Economy” version of 7.3L V8 for E-Series but it seems to me that only commercial fleets are using it. I have not seen any data on how “economical” it is compared to standard 7.3L V8.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #14

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That much engine (7.3L) is not “needed” for smaller motorhomes, but it would probably cost Ford more to manufacture a smaller version given that additional fuel economy would be minor; particularly in light of how few E-350 and E-450 are sold annually.

An inline 6-cylinder version with 5.5L would be great for E-350 but I’m sure it would be cost prohibitive; not to mention most RV buyers would prefer the greater power of the V8.

For what it’s worth, Ford makes an “Economy” version of 7.3L V8 for E-Series but it seems to me that only commercial fleets are using it. I have not seen any data on how “economical” it is compared to standard 7.3L V8.

Acree Air here in Tampa using the V8 E series on their repair trucks. Never thought to ask. I’ll ask next time they do their 6 mo. Maintenance.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Without instrumented testing under control conditions, I doubt the difference can be evaluated accurately.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Great points MPG is bogus without these details..was generator used while driving, etc
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We have a 27K with just over 30,000 miles. Our MPG varies from just under 7 MPG to as high as 11 MPG, depending of conditions and generator use. We normally pull a 12 foot dual axle trailer with a heavy motorcycle, tools, and other stuff. The average MPG is just over 8.

What I find interesting is that we had a 33 foot Holiday Rambler (class A) years ago with a 454 and a four speed and got about the same fuel mileage. No revving on that beast.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Reference the transmission, the Omni with F550 chassis and 6.7 diesel has the 10 speed transmission. In my opinion it's not really needed because in normal acceleration I go from 1-3-5 then up the sequence. Perhaps descending steep grades selecting a gear in the lower range would be useful but in most cases all the extra gears are more bragging rights than functional design. My Ram 1500 has and 8 speed and seems in normal driving to use them all.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #19

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
The fuel mileage system has never been reset on my Godzilla and I get 9.5 mpg. I have over 20k miles on my engine.

Didn't buy it for the "MPG's" its what came in the unit. I have been very pleased with the power and performance.

For the record, I do not have a toad or tow anything, just a 30' class C.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a new 2021 Axis 24.1 built on the Ford E350 chassis with the new V8. Weight and how you drive does make a difference in fuel milage. I have driven 4,000 miles this year, about 1/3 interstate and 2/3 secondary and hilly roads here in the NE. The lowest I got was 11.3 mpg (hilly secondary roads) and the highest was 12.8 (on the interstate at 60-65 mpg). I average 12.0.

David