Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28A
State: Florida
THOR #26191
New generator- won’t start

Ugh!! Leaving for a 6,000 mile road trip tomorrow and generator won’t catch. New 2022 4 Winds, just had a check up and no issues. Used generator 2 days ago and today it just won’t start. Oil is full and only has 30 hours on it.

Oann, RVQG series (?)

Any thoughts? It is so new I’m think it must be something stupid I’m missing.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2022, 04:50 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
There is a integral breaker on/near the bottom of the generator itself. Do a YouTube search on the specific model and problem you have...tons of good info and tutorials of trouble shooting. You did do the prime feature, right?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Did you prime it by holding the START/STOP switch in the STOP position for 30 seconds after the red light comes on?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What is your coach fuel level?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRo@d View Post
Ugh!! Leaving for a 6,000 mile road trip tomorrow and generator won’t catch. New 2022 4 Winds, just had a check up and no issues. Used generator 2 days ago and today it just won’t start. Oil is full and only has 30 hours on it.

Oann, RVQG series (?)

Any thoughts? It is so new I’m think it must be something stupid I’m missing.
Thanks
Cummings onan are great on the phone.
Whenever I had an issue billings montana helped on the phone and when serviced gave me 2 year warranty
Old 06-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Please be sure you at least 1/4 tank of fuel or more.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #7

THOR #26191
Fuel tank is full. Going to try Cummins. It is a 2022 and the Flt light is on. It seems like it might be something with that.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:25 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
“Generator won’t catch” and “used generator a few days ago” sounds like a low coach battery or loose battery cables. Can you start the genset using the emergency start switch connecting the chassis to the coach battery?
Old 06-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #9

THOR #26191
Oh - maybe something with battery! I did notice my split Panel charge was low. Maybe a connection to the battery got loose… off to check it out…..
Old 06-30-2022, 10:41 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Fuel tank is full. Going to try Cummins. It is a 2022 and the Flt light is on. It seems like it might be something with that.
Quote:
Oh - maybe something with battery! I did notice my split Panel charge was low. Maybe a connection to the battery got loose… off to check it out…..
So does "won't catch" mean it doesn't turn over? Or that it turns over but doesn't start?

And what's a "Flt light"?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:46 PM   #11

THOR #26191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So does "won't catch" mean it doesn't turn over? Or that it turns over but doesn't start?

And what's a "Flt light"?
It will turn over but won’t start and FLT light is a red light on my inside panel. With all buttons to turn on water pump and Check tank levels.

I am just stumped and know it has to be something I’m missing.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:59 PM   #12

THOR #26191
Running

Ok it started up after draining a bit of oil and trying to prime it twice. No idea what issue is but at least it is running now. Thanks for all suggestions and I will report back if I ever figure out what’s wrong.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:22 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Ok it started up after draining a bit of oil and trying to prime it twice. No idea what issue is but at least it is running now. Thanks for all suggestions and I will report back if I ever figure out what’s wrong.
Your Onan Genny might have been trying to save you $4,000 of gas, but noooooooo you had to fix it anyway. Enjoy your trip
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
My generator is VERY sensitive to the oil level. Too much or too little and it either won't start at all or won't stay running.

Proper level for mine is about half way between add and full. There is an oil sensor to protect the generator on mine.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:41 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
My generator is VERY sensitive to the oil level. Too much or too little and it either won't start at all or won't stay running.

Proper level for mine is about half way between add and full. There is an oil sensor to protect the generator on mine.
You sure about that? For whatever reason Onan deprecated that low oil sensor on their smaller generators some time ago.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:01 AM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You sure about that? For whatever reason Onan deprecated that low oil sensor on their smaller generators some time ago.
Onan told me it's still on mine... 5500. I don't know other than that and as I said it's always been an issue with mine. [emoji848]
Old 07-01-2022, 02:01 AM   #17

THOR #26191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Your Onan Genny might have been trying to save you $4,000 of gas, but noooooooo you had to fix it anyway. Enjoy your trip
Ha ha- I know right! Not the best time to be getting 9 miles to the gallon! Geez!
Old 07-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Onan told me it's still on mine... 5500. I don't know other than that and as I said it's always been an issue with mine. [emoji848]
I have 5500 as well. The manual states it has a low oil sensor, but I have not verified to really know because I have never burned that much.
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil onan.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	38440

I change oil every year, and one year I changed twice; when I was foolishly led down a path of being worried about the weight of the oil at different heat temps of the year

It is the overfill that worries me a tad... I need to check again, but the way my 5500 is designed, it seems like it would be very difficult to put too much oil in it. It would overflow the fill tube that is at a angle. The whole oil change out is tad under a quart. There is no overfill sensor. But it is easy to drain, if you needed to remove some oil, no tools required.

To the OP,
75% of the time my genny starts; it is started by the AGS. Take the time to learn and use the AGS. In 3 1/2 years my genny has never failed to start. If it did; it sends a default code, I can read the code on my AGS display without having to go inside. I have priming capability, but I have never needed to. I concluded that was because of proximity of my gas tank to my generator. That is not the case for all coaches; so priming is required when needed and by design. I suggest trying the AGS because it may prime for you automatically as part of that start process. Plus in you case if it failed to start you should have a code as to why it says it did not start.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan generator