Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
And as small as this motorhome is, they find the room for serious storage. It's all about the details, like how they stretch the chassis at rear. As Americans we must be more concerned with being able to tow an 8,000-pound trailer that very few owners have the need to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1778  

Old 04-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #22
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yes, I have. I've inquired about what I needed to do to order a 24.1 without the slide and with a dinette (like living area of 25.3) and was told respectfully to forget it. It's not within their capacity to custom make much of anything, even if it's mostly to not cut a big hole in the side of an RV. I appreciated their directness and I'm perfectly fine with their response. As an engineer I know it's not as easy as it sounds to make changes like that. That's why it has to be looked at globally.

Regarding Winnebago, they have similar size motorhomes (actually slightly smaller on Mercedes Sprinter chassis) that I like the size even better, but they also have small slides, no "real" MegaStorage, and only come as diesel. On the plus side they get up to 17 MPG (hence 12 MPG on simpler Axis is very doable).

I would love an Axis floorplan that moves in the direction of picture below. It would still be a little larger than this Hymer, but taking on some of its simpler appeal.
It seems like there are, always, trade-offs. We, certainly, hope you find what makes you happy...even though it might be a compromise ...
If you must have a dinette...then, do the 24.1 and replace the couch with a dinette. I think someone on this forum has one for sale. We had our experience with a dinette, in our toyhauler and I didn't like it !
I don't know how many bodies you travel with...we are only 2 + KC our cat. Over the years, we have learned to managed our needs when traveling, whether it is RVing/driving/riding motorcycle or flying. This time, with the Axis..even tho it seems like I have more storage..I cut down on pans and extra stuff. I, always , seem to have too many things to drink from !! noticed that the other day. The rear outdoor storage on the Axis has turned out to be more than we expected.
Since we have not gone on an extended trip yet..we shall see how much of that extra space, outside, we use !

Keep all of us posted on how you are doing on your search !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:03 AM   #23
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
And as small as this motorhome is, they find the room for serious storage. It's all about the details, like how they stretch the chassis at rear. As Americans we must be more concerned with being able to tow an 8,000-pound trailer that very few owners have the need to do.
Amazing storage !! that makes the Axis storage, which we think is very good...look small !

Thanks for sharing !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #24

THOR #2121
That storage is typical of many Euro motorhomes, although there aren't other compartments like on an Axis. Like you say, it's a compromise. Lower floor forces storage into one large compartment. And it requires beds to be elevated with a couple of steps up to them -- another design compromise.

This particular new Hymer is small at 23-feet long, 87.4-inches wide, and under 10-feet tall, making its size pretty much in the middle between a van-based camper and an Axis-size motorhome. It's a size missing in US market.

Since it's based on Ducato chassis (our RAM ProMaster), maybe Hymer will start building them in North America before too long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1783  
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
vkb

THOR #3510
Attractive coach for sure.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #26

THOR #2121
I'm curious whether a 23-foot motorhome with a maximum weight of only 3,500 kg (7,700 pounds) would hold up on American roads. Granted it's small and may not even include a generator or roof air conditioner, but that Hymer hardly weighs as much as large SUVs or pickup trucks.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #27
vkb

THOR #3510
Ron sez our 21' Class B 1999 Starflyte with no slide..E350 V-10, held up real well...but, then again...like you said...it was made for American traveling...
I would like to see one of these things...curious !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #28

THOR #2121
I wish I could rent one for a couple of weeks from Cruise America or similar business to see how they ride, handle, and also what to expect for fuel economy.

My extended (20-foot) Ford van with V10 also weighs more than this Hymer. I'd be curious if the wind affects it badly because it is so light for that size box. Having said that, I'd bet that most drivers wouldn't feel the need to add steering stabilizers, sway bars, etc. to make them drive acceptably. I doubt German engineers would likely make such a product.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:33 AM   #29
vkb

THOR #3510
Are they available Stateside ? It might be possible to, at least, test drive one !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Are they available Stateside ? It might be possible to, at least, test drive one !
Not as far as I know, other than perhaps privately owned motorhomes brought over for vacation. About six months ago I saw a similar motorhome with foreign plates on the Interstate.

Hymer recently purchased Roadtrek with initial plans to manufacture Class Bs, but the news release suggested Hymer had future plans for larger motorhomes -- presumably Class Cs or Class As. There was no indication of timing though.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #31
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Not as far as I know, other than perhaps privately owned motorhomes brought over for vacation. About six months ago I saw a similar motorhome with foreign plates on the Interstate.

Hymer recently purchased Roadtrek with initial plans to manufacture Class Bs, but the news release suggested Hymer had future plans for larger motorhomes -- presumably Class Cs or Class As. There was no indication of timing though.
I saw a Winnebago Trend 23L .. which is 'slide-less' .. appears to have the dinette...but, has that dreaded corner bed ! And the seating ... it looks strange...might just be me...check it out on RV Trader..It is on the Dodge Chassis/gas..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I saw a Winnebago Trend 23L .. which is 'slide-less' .. appears to have the dinette...but, has that dreaded corner bed ! And the seating ... it looks strange...might just be me...check it out on RV Trader..It is on the Dodge Chassis/gas..
Thanks for suggestion.

We have looked at them, and there is a lot to like in the various ProMaster-based Class C (or B+ as some refer to them) motorhomes from various manufacturers.

The corner bed is essentially a deal breaker for us (tried it on rental for a week and hated it), but there are other floorplans we like.

There are a couple of issues that concern me about all of these. First, they have very little cargo carrying capacity -- in some cases rear axle was overloaded from factory. I'm also very leery that Dodge minivan transmission won't hold up long-term in this heavier motorhome. And lastly, it can't tow much of anything.

If not for transmission concern we would have already purchased a ProMaster van camper to replace my old one. I normally keep vehicles at least 10 years, so I value ruggedness and durability. Some would say I'm too picky, but it works for me.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #33
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion.

We have looked at them, and there is a lot to like in the various ProMaster-based Class C (or B+ as some refer to them) motorhomes from various manufacturers.

The corner bed is essentially a deal breaker for us (tried it on rental for a week and hated it), but there are other floorplans we like.

There are a couple of issues that concern me about all of these. First, they have very little cargo carrying capacity -- in some cases rear axle was overloaded from factory. I'm also very leery that Dodge minivan transmission won't hold up long-term in this heavier motorhome. And lastly, it can't tow much of anything.

If not for transmission concern we would have already purchased a ProMaster van camper to replace my old one. I normally keep vehicles at least 10 years, so I value ruggedness and durability. Some would say I'm too picky, but it works for me.
That also, has the 6 cyl engine ! You have done your homework, and then some...keep all of us posted on your choice !
Jeep Wrangler TJ