Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
New Hymer Class B

Check out the new Hymer Class B RV:
New Class B Aktiv by Hymer makes North American debut - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

Similar to a Roadtrek but a Hymer brand.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Pretty neat and pretty pricey.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
It looks almost identical to the Grand Canyon model they had previously previewed.

Hymer Interview And Grand Canyon Preview

The short 3-minute video in link shows the design well.

The finished product is interesting in many ways; starting with selection of the shorter van in 3/4-ton rating. Most other manufacturers have used the extended version (21-feet long versus just under 20-feet) and in 3500 versus 2500 rating.

Also part of the RoadTrek influence is probably the "280-Amp 12-Volt" underhood generator in addition to the chassis 220-Amp alternator. That with 2,000-watt inverter and optional lithium batteries and solar shows it's meant to be a high-end Class B.

I love the windows with integrated screens and shades. Very functional although I don't know how they would hold up over time. I also like the glass-top sink and two-burner gas stove.

Specs show it can sleep up to four, but unless front bench seat converts to bed, I don't see how.

Very interesting overall. It would be that much better if a little larger in size -- closer to an Axis 24.1. I guess it's small because it's meant to be parked in a standard parking spot.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You can see the floorplan a bit better on their website:
Go Hymer » Layout
Sleeping:

Passenger:
Old 03-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

THOR #2121
I can't imagine that bed arrangement will go over well with American buyers. As can be seen from snap shot of video in link above, you'd have to crawl over your partner to get to back of bed; making it much worse than a corner bed. And it's fairly high too.

If they use the extended van and installed twin/king beds, I think the floorplan would have more appeal to most couples over 30.

As to sleeping 4 people, I have seen some European seats that tumble and extend over the driver's seat when turned backwards. They are very expensive so maybe it's an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1645  
Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
More on the Hymer and a video showing one:
Hands on with the Hymer after a visit to the factory - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I can't imagine that bed arrangement will go over well with American buyers. As can be seen from snap shot of video in link above, you'd have to crawl over your partner to get to back of bed; making it much worse than a corner bed. And it's fairly high too.

If they use the extended van and installed twin/king beds, I think the floorplan would have more appeal to most couples over 30.

As to sleeping 4 people, I have seen some European seats that tumble and extend over the driver's seat when turned backwards. They are very expensive so maybe it's an option.
We have good friends who have a Roadtrek....on their 2nd one...they love it ! They don't seem to mind the bed situation.
That is why there are so many different units..something to please everyone !
Personally...we have been in that situation "crawling over one another" NEVER again !! that is one of the reasons we chose the Axis 24.1
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Same for us. Crawling over each other lead to buying the axis 24.1 Had a Roadtrek 210. It also had quality issues that took 2 years to iron out.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have good friends who have a Roadtrek....on their 2nd one...they love it ! They don't seem to mind the bed situation.
That is why there are so many different units..something to please everyone !
Personally...we have been in that situation "crawling over one another" NEVER again !! that is one of the reasons we chose the Axis 24.1
Probably something for everyone but us. . My tastes must be too different than the norm.

We drove all day yesterday to see a used 32-foot-long Class A with very low miles thinking it would be ideal for two or three years at most as an interim, but once there we realized that as much as we liked the floorplan, it was WAY TOO LARGE for the two of us traveling alone (95% of the time). Build quality wasn't great either and owners didn't even clean it well before listing it -- not a great sign.

On the way back there was a Camping World near by so we stopped to look at Axis/Vegas; where they had 24.1, 25.2, and 25.3 floorplans right next to each other. Immediately we liked the overall smaller size better.

I like the 24.1, but the bathroom is too small for her. Plus it doesn't have the required dinette with forward-facing seating, and has a slide we don't want, particularly in the front living area.

The 25.2 has potential in that bathroom is much larger (although left handed which makes no sense given +/- 90% of people are right handed), the slide is in rear (would be better for us if they used Twin/King bedroom), and there is no dinette.

She would "maybe" buy the 25.3 floorplan because of the dinette (was a little uncomfortable to sit on), and because she liked the big bathroom best. We both liked the extra kitchen counter space and generator moved away from main bed.

The downsides: Each and every slide had holes in seals I could stick my fingers through -- I would pay extra to have a slide deleted. In-slide cabinets were much smaller, and they rob space at ends I could use for other function (like bigger bathroom in 24.1 floorplan that would add more value to us).

Additionally, cabinets along kitchen side are much too wide for our needs on such a compact motorhome. If Thor used some of the Class B or higher-end Class C kitchen equipment, these motorhomes would feel a lot more spacious when built without front slides. Thor and other manufacturers do it on different models when space is limited and could do it with Axis/Vegas too. Plus stainless sink looks nicer to me than plastic, as does stove with integrated glass on top to double as counter space.

By the way, Class Bs are great for a couple (and can have Twin beds in rear so you don't have to disturb your partner), but they are a little too small when traveling with others. That's where a 25~27 foot Axis seems perfect to fill the gap between Class Bs and typical As.

In a way I'm discouraged that Thor designs all Axis floorplans like crowded small Class As rather than large Class Bs with room to spare.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:50 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Good comments ! I hope you find a coach which meets your wants and needs!
The Axis is our 4th and final ! For us, it is perfect .. twin beds, slide, .. plenty of storage .. we like the bathroom .. kitchen area is sufficient for our use.

Keep us posted on what you choose !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #11

THOR #2121
It's hard to choose when no one makes what you're looking for.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
It's hard to choose when no one makes what you're looking for.
Why not write a nicely worded, paper letter (you know mail! LOL) to the CEO of Thor telling them what you're looking for (something like an Axis/Vegas with no slides).

There is a topic here listing his address.

You'd be voicing your opinion and at worse you get no reply (or a form letter saying "no"), at best a new floorplan comes out...you never know.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
I traded in my 2005 Roadtrek Popular 190 for my 2015 Axis 24.1.I loved the Roadtrek.It was the most solidly built rv I ever had.Quality and craftsmanship were second to none.My problem with it was it was too small for much more than an overnight stay here and there although the it was an excellent day tripper vehicle which I kind of miss.I looked at the new ones last year at the rv show and the quality was terrible compared to my 05,especially for 150,000 bucks!Very happy with my axis perfect floor plan and size and I do day trips with it on occasion.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Why not write a nicely worded, paper letter (you know mail! LOL) to the CEO of Thor telling them what you're looking for (something like an Axis/Vegas with no slides).

There is a topic here listing his address.

You'd be voicing your opinion and at worse you get no reply (or a form letter saying "no"), at best a new floorplan comes out...you never know.
Jamie, that's an excellent idea; although I expect I'd be wasting my time.

I communicated with Thor senior marketing managers through E-Mail after the Axis/Vegas was first introduced, and got the feeling that a slideless floorplan wasn't a priority. That they've come up with +/- 6 floorplans without a single slideless offering confirms their mindset.

Additionally, I feel I would be stating the obvious to the CEO because he should be aware of what I'm looking for but has already rejected it (i.e. -- through product offerings, or lack thereof).

The Thor CEO must be aware that the most common and highest-selling Class A motorhome type in all of Europe doesn't exist in US market. By our American standards they are between the largest Class B and smallest Class A. They bridge the gap. The CEO and his product development group should already know this because they attend European RV shows.

So what can I possibly add?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
So what can I possibly add?
Your voice. Sure they may (or may not!) know that but a paper letter says a lot these days.

It is super easy to fire off an e-mail; the effort required to write a paper letter says so much more. It says that you care enough about the issue you are writing about enough to devote 30+ minutes of your time, some $$ (the stamp), and possibly a drive to the nearest post office box to mail it. Paper letters mean a lot these days (more so now because less people write them).

I know a paper letter to your congressman (or woman) holds an order of magnitude (if not more) weight than a simple e-mail to them...

Like I said: at worst you're out some time & a stamp at best they hear you and do something about it.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #16

THOR #2121
I will write the letter as soon as I can come up with a convincing argument as to why they should build a simpler, lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient version of an Axis other than the fact that I want one. That's not good enough. I first have to set my personal needs aside and be extremely objective.

Unless I can demonstrate that there are a significant number of others out there that would also buy a Hymer-like Class A, I'd be wasting my time and theirs.

It doesn't help that every time the subject of creating a new floorplan loosely based on a 24.1 without a slide (closest design to Euro motorhomes) has come up, the majority of comments were to have multiple slides instead of none. The general consensus seems to be for bigger rather than smaller (more slides), heavier rather than lighter (E-450 versus E-350), bigger engines instead of smaller (V10 versus fuel efficient V8), etc.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
It doesn't help that every time the subject of creating a new floorplan loosely based on a 24.1 without a slide (closest design to Euro motorhomes) has come up, the majority of comments were to have multiple slides instead of none. The general consensus seems to be for bigger rather than smaller (more slides), heavier rather than lighter (E-450 versus E-350), bigger engines instead of smaller (V10 versus fuel efficient V8), etc.
That is true but you are not the only one: there was that other person on the forums here that specifically purchased an older motorhome because it was the last of its kind without a slide.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is true but you are not the only one: there was that other person on the forums here that specifically purchased an older motorhome because it was the last of its kind without a slide.
It just feels like it.

The snowball affect is what really bothers me most about slides -- particularly in a small motorhome.

For example, I can envision an Axis 24.1 without a slide and with a dinette; with options for couch or recliners. By eliminating the slide, a designer could relocate the generator under the dinette area like on 25.3 floorplan. By relocating generator weight from the very back to behind the driver, it should be possible to go with a standard Ford long wheelbase chassis instead of having to stretch it from 176 to 188 inches (plus your reported actual weights confirm it also). There are plenty of longer Class As and Cs with even shorter wheelbase. This saves weight and costs that can be invested in other areas (or reduce price). More importantly, Ford quality control remains throughout the chassis. It shouldn't bother me, but I don't like that a brand new vehicle is cut up and pieced back together.

By relocating the generator forward, it is then also possible to have a much larger MegaStorage compartment at the rear. Thor has done this before on Class As and Cs. I've rented them for long trips -- it's really nice to have. Practically all Euro motorhomes have a large compartment in rear. In large part this is done to keep motorhome lower to ground (hence better handling and fuel economy). Instead of elevating the entire motorhome to create basement storage, they combine it in one big garage.

Eliminating the 24.1 slide also saves a foot in length on driver's side, so we could have a very long dinette or else a shorter one and add to bathroom. Cabinets over dinette would also be roughly twice as large.

I could go on, but in the end buyers want slides and don't care about what they may be giving up -- whether cost, taller unit that handles poorly, higher fuel consumption, etc.

Rant over.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
Chance ... have you looked at the Winnebago ? They have several floorplans which are similar to the Thor RUV's...don't know if there is one which is 'slideless' ..but might be worth a look. Have you reached out to any of the Mfg.'s ... regarding a custom build, without a slide? They might not be interested in integrating a complete line of this unit, but, might build one to your spec's.
That would be interesting.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Chance ... have you looked at the Winnebago ? They have several floorplans which are similar to the Thor RUV's...don't know if there is one which is 'slideless' ..but might be worth a look. Have you reached out to any of the Mfg.'s ... regarding a custom build, without a slide? They might not be interested in integrating a complete line of this unit, but, might build one to your spec's.
That would be interesting.
Yes, I have. I've inquired about what I needed to do to order a 24.1 without the slide and with a dinette (like living area of 25.3) and was told respectfully to forget it. It's not within their capacity to custom make much of anything, even if it's mostly to not cut a big hole in the side of an RV. I appreciated their directness and I'm perfectly fine with their response. As an engineer I know it's not as easy as it sounds to make changes like that. That's why it has to be looked at globally.

Regarding Winnebago, they have similar size motorhomes (actually slightly smaller on Mercedes Sprinter chassis) that I like the size even better, but they also have small slides, no "real" MegaStorage, and only come as diesel. On the plus side they get up to 17 MPG (hence 12 MPG on simpler Axis is very doable).

I would love an Axis floorplan that moves in the direction of picture below. It would still be a little larger than this Hymer, but taking on some of its simpler appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1777