Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
New MH buyers this may help

https://camperreport.com/best-class-...under-35-feet/

Some have been disappointed with there purchase or trading..this is a good article

Old 01-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How does it help people that are disappointed with their purchase?

It's a fluff space filling article full of inaccuracies. Here's one example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linked Article
Enter the Thor Motor coach Axis 24:1! This is a new model from Thor that is only 25 feet, 8 inches long. It was released for the 2022 catalog and is one of the newest and best offerings.
"New Model"?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The very best prior-to-purchase help for someone buying an rv is:

Type 'Thor RV' into google.

Find this forum, postpone the purchase at least a month after finding this forum,
while READING THIS FORUM HEARTILY during that month.

renting the rv of choice, or any rv, for at least a week.

Rvchecklist App

I don't know how You CAN'T find us PRIOR to buying a Thor.
You would have to literally, physically, actually, have not typed
Thor rv
into any search engine.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Other than none whatsoever what are the author’s qualifications to determine the best RV under 35 feet.

Total POS article not worth the time to read. Intended for gullible uneducated individuals.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
About the only semi accurate statement was about Winnebago but not by much. Tiffin a "luxury brand"? Yeah right. Average with formerly good CS. I commented to a dealer who sold some thor stuff that the worst example I saw of poor quality was a thor Ace. He commented it was obvious from that statement I hadn't seen an Axis.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The very best prior-to-purchase help for someone buying an rv is:

Type 'Thor RV' into google.

Find this forum, postpone the purchase at least a month after finding this forum,
while READING THIS FORUM HEARTILY during that month.

renting the rv of choice, or any rv, for at least a week.

Rvchecklist App

I don't know how You CAN'T find us PRIOR to buying a Thor.
You would have to literally, physically, actually, have not typed
Thor rv
into any search engine.
Right on
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #7

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Best advice I have.

Seems there are the same x number of people that post negative comments about Thor over and over, and are on every thread here. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, they have a lemon. I've had lemons, an AMG, Ford minivan, etc. It happens. They got their pocketbook and/or feelings hurt.

Not sure how many campers Thor sells a year, but it must be alot.

Subtract out the comments from the above mentioned posters (on all the threads they visit), come up with a real number of buyers that have real issues, and it seems to be a pretty miniscule number compared to the number of campers sold. Common sense.

I know how to turn a screw driver, and I know how to ask for advice (politely). These things make a big difference.

As for me, Thor made me a great product that is one of the funnest things I've ever owned. It is a quality product for the price. Also, Camping World has been nothing but polite and easy to work with.

But then again, I own my own company and work in sales. I don't have a choice in understanding being nice is the only way to get good service.

Inspect the camper you are going to purchase, even if it takes all day. I recommend buying a Thor product from Camping World.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #8

THOR #22586
Oh wow, I told you thor monitored this forum and likely made posts.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-27-2022, 12:26 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am on my 2nd motor home since 2015. The first one I did not do a thorough enough inspection thinking that I was buying a high quality unit from a well established manufacturer(Winnebago). I had issue after issue. It was at the dealership more for the first 18 months than with me. They were not minor issues. Generator not working, no propane flowing, furnace not working, chassis battery connections melted the battery cover/shorted out... Once everything was repaired, it was a good coach. I then purchased a Thor product in 2018. I knew what to do from my last experience and only had a couple of minor issues. I learned from the first what to expect and went into it head on knowing that I would be fixing minor issues along the way. There were things that I was not told on the first purchase like fully loading it and having the front end aligned again to ensure it was correct loaded since it was aligned empty at the factory. That bit of knowledge could have saved me $750 for 2 new front tires and an alignment on my first motor home. It is like night and day between the two purchases. I will agree that finding a good dealership is half of the battle.

Paul
Old 01-27-2022, 10:50 PM   #10

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Don't work for Thor.

Let me share a story.

Bought our first travel trailer from Camping World in Concord, NC about 4 years ago, a Mallard 32 something. A few months later we were t-boned on a Sunday coming home from Paris Mountain State Park. The week after we had a trip planned for 10 days to Disney, Fort Wilderness, every park pass upgraded, etc. Drove up to Camping World Monday AM. Talked to our sales guy, he said wait a minute, he got the head guy. Explained it again. The head guy said go pick something out on the lot. My wife came up, picked out an Outback 31 something (a nice TT). There was about a $8k difference. They worked it out for us. We went up that Saturday for our 4-5 hour inspection and towed it home.

Every interaction we've had with them has been solid. Bought a Thor a couple years after that from Camping World Spartanburg, SC (the Concord location only had a couple Jayco's that weren't what we were looking for). I drive it to places and on roads it shouldn't go.

I was only sharing my experience.

The picture is in the Keys last week. Thirteen hour drive home, the last 4 in an ice storm. She did just fine.

Happy camping to you!Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_150946.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	35849
Old 01-28-2022, 01:30 AM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Don't work for Thor.

Let me share a story.

Bought our first travel trailer from Camping World in Concord, NC about 4 years ago, a Mallard 32 something. A few months later we were t-boned on a Sunday coming home from Paris Mountain State Park. The week after we had a trip planned for 10 days to Disney, Fort Wilderness, every park pass upgraded, etc. Drove up to Camping World Monday AM. Talked to our sales guy, he said wait a minute, he got the head guy. Explained it again. The head guy said go pick something out on the lot. My wife came up, picked out an Outback 31 something (a nice TT). There was about a $8k difference. They worked it out for us. We went up that Saturday for our 4-5 hour inspection and towed it home.

Every interaction we've had with them has been solid. Bought a Thor a couple years after that from Camping World Spartanburg, SC (the Concord location only had a couple Jayco's that weren't what we were looking for). I drive it to places and on roads it shouldn't go.

I was only sharing my experience.

The picture is in the Keys last week. Thirteen hour drive home, the last 4 in an ice storm. She did just fine.

Happy camping to you!Attachment 35849
CWs vary by location and some are OK, some below whale snot. Thor on the other hand, is down in the lower category in my opinion. Some people will be happy with thor quality but many won't. I'm in the latter category. Glad it worked for you. Happy and safe travels for you and your family.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You did have a bad experience. My experience is quite opposite yours. Granted I fix stuff myself, even if under warranty. Thor customer service has been overly helpful to me. Camping World had the unit at the price I was willing to pay. Leak, yes. Fixed. Drain pipe not glued. Fixed. Drawer latch broke. Fixed. Mattress sucked. Replaced. Batteries wired wrong. Fixed. AC plenum leaks. Fixed. Difficult to add oil. Worked around. Windshield wiper fell off. Fixed.

The Thor field service tech made 3 special trips to my area to work on the leaky window. Those reimbursed me twice when I had an independent repair shop fix AC. Thor sent me enough wallpaper to paper 5 coaches.

Shoddy workmanship. Sure. No more poorly done than the roof on my house (nail strips missed, staples used?).

Now, I still need to figure out where the usb cable hanging out from under the dash for 3 years is supposed to go to.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
You did have a bad experience. My experience is quite opposite yours.

Now, I still need to figure out where the usb cable hanging out from under the dash for 3 years is supposed to go to.
Yes I had a bad experience with the thor branded omni but I had good experiences with the 2 Keystone Raptor toy haulers I previously owned. In my opinion thor should stop pretending to make a a higher quality RV and stick to basic TT which become a disposable RV in today's disposable world. When you look at some competing RVs, thor prices things as much as good stuff. The new thor "deception" super C on the S2RV chassis is priced as much as a Renegade Valencia which is a much higher quality motorhome. Thors advertising of premium quality "luxury" RVs directly contradicts their corporate statement of entry level RVs. But all advertising is a lie anyways.

Good luck finding the HDMI routing. I had a damaged cable from the factory and Thor CS told me no schematics exist. Obviously same for propane lines and it just depends on who is doing the install that day. If "Fred" the regular guy is out sick and "Joe" is there, Joe doesn't know how Fred did it so no telling what happens. Course no one checking Fred or Joe that they do.

Glad you are happy with what you have. I am.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Some things to think about:

GIVEN...
We were all trained in all necessary disciplines
We completely understand all the complexities/engineering needed
Proper tools were available

Scenario #1:
If YOU and I were building our own motorhomes/trailers/5ers etc. - what would the quality of the end product be like? Would YOU take shortcuts? Would YOU use the "proper" materials for the job? Would you be careful to cut paneling to fit well, and attach all parts/assemblies as required to prevent them from failing?

If so... why, or why not?

Scenario #2:
If YOU were paying someone to build that motorhome, would you be comfortable with them taking shortcuts with assembly, installing poor quality ill-fitting panels and not using good assembly techniques?

Scenario #2 is EXACTLY what is happening now.
One can only surmise the following general conclusions:

Conclusion #1:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who are perfectly happy with scenario #2.

Conclusion #2:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who have no desire in attempting to acquire the knowledge and tools necessary to build their own motorhome.

Conclusion #3:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who are oblivious to scenario #1 and become victims to their lack of research.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #15

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Some things to think about:

GIVEN...
We were all trained in all necessary disciplines
We completely understand all the complexities/engineering needed
Proper tools were available

Scenario #1:
If YOU and I were building our own motorhomes/trailers/5ers etc. - what would the quality of the end product be like? Would YOU take shortcuts? Would YOU use the "proper" materials for the job? Would you be careful to cut paneling to fit well, and attach all parts/assemblies as required to prevent them from failing?

Scenario #2:
If YOU were paying someone to build that motorhome, would you be comfortable with them taking shortcuts with assembly, installing poor quality ill-fitting panels and not using good assembly techniques?

Scenario #2 is EXACTLY what is happening now.
One can only surmise the following general conclusions:

Conclusion #1:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who are perfectly happy with scenario #2.

Conclusion #2:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who have no desire in attempting to acquire the knowledge and tools necessary to build their own motorhome.

Conclusion #3:
There are many thousands of RV buyers who are oblivious to scenario #1 and become victims to their lack of research.
Well said and that's supported by the numerous post of new owner and new to the RV scene. RV manufacturers, especially of lower end products, expect that usage is limited and the plan is that the first year, warranty period, will expire before any major defects show up. After that period as we know, the owner is on their own. Those new owners complain about the RV being in the shop for weeks or months on end waiting on CW or name your dealer to get around to checking, waiting on parts, etc. Course while the RV is in the shop the warranty clock ticks. Many RV owners don't know better so accept poor performance as the norm.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #16

THOR #20220
THOR has always been great to us. All fixed and paid.
Even goodwill a few times.
Always received emails and or calls.
Lora and I loved our Thor service.
Any we are in tiny town Montana.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:36 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Lack of personal responsibility as a:
One time accident
Confliction
Justification
Habit
Hobby
Lifestyle
Affliction wielded to inflict others.
Yelling at clouds.

It's a path.

You decide who is whom.

Caveat emptor.
So old of a concept it's said in a dead language.
And yet, somehow someone else is still the fault.

It does not hurt you unless you interpret its happening as hurtful.
Your taillight screw failure is exactly the same as anyone elses tail light screw failure(insert ludicrous reason to be at the dealer for warranty work here).
You chose to be hurt by it.

Get some Damn self control.
Enlighten yourself beforehand, be acceptable of your lack of dilgence afterward.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
There's what one would want to do in an ideal world, and what happens in the real world ...

Quote:
Scenario #1:
I would try not to take short cuts, but it may end up being necessary in order to meet budget and time limitations. I would pick my shortcuts in such a way that they're not likely to lead to further issues and not be overly visible or irritating TO ME. However, they might be to someone else.

Quote:
Scenario #2:
Pretty much the same as above. I may indeed allow, and even encourage, shortcuts in order to meet a price and/or time objective. If they work for me, I would direct them to take shortcuts that I find acceptable. They might not be acceptable to someone else.

Quote:
Again, in an ideal world, where price and time are not limiting factors, one wouldn't take shortcuts and wouldn't accept them in others. In the real world, both are usually limiting factors. (And of course, when paying people, Time relates directly with Price.)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
THOR has always been great to us. All fixed and paid.
Even goodwill a few times.
Always received emails and or calls.
Lora and I loved our Thor service.
Any we are in tiny town Montana.
I have had exceptional results after getting to the right people

The blind tech that installed the 55 inch TV got the cord wrapped in the Televator. I wanted them to send me a cord, which I would have just went and bought but I needed a bath window so getting two things at one time. No way would they send the cord but instead sent the TV complete and the Window.

Several other examples such as one of the stair motors and so on.

Can't complain at all and have had RV's since the 60's and nothhing has changed except the perception perhaps.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Lack of personal responsibility as a:
One time accident
Confliction
Justification
Habit
Hobby
Lifestyle
Affliction wielded to inflict others.
Yelling at clouds.

It's a path.

You decide who is whom.

Caveat emptor.
So old of a concept it's said in a dead language.
And yet, somehow someone else is still the fault.

It does not hurt you unless you interpret its happening as hurtful.
Your taillight screw failure is exactly the same as anyone elses tail light screw failure(insert ludicrous reason to be at the dealer for warranty work here).
You chose to be hurt by it.

Get some Damn self control.
Enlighten yourself beforehand, be acceptable of your lack of dilgence afterward.
Might need an interpreter for this one!

I googled caveat emptor. Damn Duck, what a vocabulary. I learn something new everyday!