Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #4469
New Owner Question

We just purchased our new Vegas 24.1 a few months ago and are going on our second trip. One stop is "dry camping". We're going to pre-cool the refrigerator at home with a 30amp hookup we have on the outside of our home. But, how do we keep the refrigerator cold while driving? Should we have the Propane set to the "On" position? That sounds dangerous.

Also, once parked does merely having the Propane set to "On" keep the pilot light lit on the refrigerator and keep it cool? (assuming the setting on the refrig is set to LP Gas).

Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadies View Post
We just purchased our new Vegas 24.1 a few months ago and are going on our second trip. One stop is "dry camping". We're going to pre-cool the refrigerator at home with a 30amp hookup we have on the outside of our home. But, how do we keep the refrigerator cold while driving? Should we have the Propane set to the "On" position? That sounds dangerous.

Also, once parked does merely having the Propane set to "On" keep the pilot light lit on the refrigerator and keep it cool? (assuming the setting on the refrig is set to LP Gas).

Thanks in advance for any response.
We cool ours down plugged in at home and have it set on auto, when we unplug it goes to gas. No problem stays on gas till we plug it back in then it switches to electric. I have ran on gas for days with no problems, knock on wood. Ours actually cools down to put food in it in about 5 hours in 80 degree weather, very happy with it so far.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

THOR #4469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We cool ours down plugged in at home and have it set on auto, when we unplug it goes to gas. No problem stays on gas till we plug it back in then it switches to electric. I have ran on gas for days with no problems, knock on wood. Ours actually cools down to put food in it in about 5 hours in 80 degree weather, very happy with it so far.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm certain to other questions as we motor along, and this seems like a perfect forum for those questions.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadies View Post
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm certain to other questions as we motor along, and this seems like a perfect forum for those questions.
Just like KNMIB said... set it on AUTO and it takes care of itself. Works like it was designed to. I had to turn down the coldness control however because a few things in the back of the refrigerator portion began to freeze. Just be sure that your 30 amp home hookup is really 30 amps. I was using a 15 amp receptacle with a 30 amp adapter when we first bought the Axis in January. I learned quickly when it warmed up that you cannot run both the refrigerator and A/C because it will throw the home circuit breaker.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Agree with everyone else...auto on the refrigerator...
REMEMBER ... do not run out of propane !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

THOR #4469
Thank you all so much! It's nice to see so many people being so helpful!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
I "pre-cool" the fridge by putting several Cryopacks or freezer packs in the fridge and in the freezer compartment then fire up the fridge on propane several hours before loading up with foodstuffs and leaving on a trip. speeds up the cool down time a bunch.
And leave them in place for the whole trip... just in case fridge craps out, or transfer them to an ice chest for the picnik on the lake. afterwords back into the freezer they go.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Perhaps a silly question but can you have the propane open while driving down the road?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I freeze a dozen or so bottles of water in the house and put them in the RV freezer the first time I turn it on, and leave them in there. Then I have ice for an ice chest and a dozen emergency waters if I run out. If I think the fridge is not cool enough, I take a frozen bottle or two and move them down to a front shelf. Be careful what you put in the door. I had one break a hinge several years ago. They will not take a lot of water and coke over bad roads. I ran my fridge on auto for almost four months without turning it off last summer to Alaska. It ran beautifully the whole time.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Perhaps a silly question but can you have the propane open while driving down the road?
We may have to defer to someone who has the same rv as you...however,
if you have the 'traditional' rv refrigerator...you simply set it on 'auto' mode when you begin your trip. The unit knows that you are off shore power and turns on the propane...so, your refrig runs on propane automatically while on the road, keeping everything cold/frozen. (as everyone else has stated, we pre-cool our refrig before we leave the driveway)
We have had several rv's over the year with the same refrig. system. Unless you incur an unexpected problem, it works well. **your rv should have a propane detector, which will sound if you have a leak**
Remember, to keep your propane tank full so the process does not fail !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Yes and no. You can have the propane open and run down the road, however, there are some cases where you may be required to turn the propane off when going through tunnels. We have a tunnel going into eastern VA where all RVs must stop and DOT checks to ensure propane tanks are certified, based on date, and turned off.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

THOR #1765
And there are some tunnels that you cannot go thru, like the one in Baltimore.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
And there are some tunnels that you cannot go thru, like the one in Baltimore.
The tunnel near Zion is another where space is limited..the last time we were there, 2 years ago, in the Dorado it was tight !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #14

THOR #1765
The Baltimore tunnel is plenty big enough, they just do not allow anything with a propane tank to travel thru it.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I was wondering more about the safety and legality of traveling down the road with the propane on. I would imagine there is some NTSB regulation.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

THOR #1765
It is perfectly legal and everyone does it. There are large buses propelled by propane with large tanks running thru major cities. Your 55 gallon gas tank half full with an explosive fuel air mixture will make a much bigger bank than your propane tank.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #17

THOR #4469
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I "pre-cool" the fridge by putting several Cryopacks or freezer packs in the fridge and in the freezer compartment then fire up the fridge on propane several hours before loading up with foodstuffs and leaving on a trip. speeds up the cool down time a bunch.
And leave them in place for the whole trip... just in case fridge craps out, or transfer them to an ice chest for the picnik on the lake. afterwords back into the freezer they go.
Thank you, I didn't think of this but good suggestion.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
I was wondering more about the safety and legality of traveling down the road with the propane on. I would imagine there is some NTSB regulation.
The motorhome tanks also have an excess flow valve, if there is a sudden release of pressure (rapid leak) the valve closes. This may also happen when you open the shutoff valve too quickly after refilling. If it does, close the shutoff valve and then open again . slowly.

More info here:Propane 101-The basics

The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel does prohibit propane in over 10 pound containers. but they recommend the using I-695 and the Francis Scott Key bridge to bypass the tunnel.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Chesapeake bay bridge also prohibits open tanks--they pull you over before you get to the bridge and ensure the tanks are off before you proceed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 AM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #4403
My 2015 Thor ACE 30.1 leaks when it rains on the left side side out. I try to extend and retract the slide to stop the leaking. Is there anyone else out there that has this problem and a possible cure?

Leaking Coach