Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4952
NEWBIE NEEDS HELP Packing to avoid rattles

New to the snow bird motor coach world. Just bought our first RV this week. Need some tips on how to pack drawers with items like silverware, pots & pans, etc the best way to avoid rattling. There will only be 2 adults and 3 dogs traveling.

Also, any tips will be appreciated on the best way to attach things to the walls. Are Command products the best bet? I want to mount a magnetic knife holder strip to the wall over the stove top and also a small magnetic spice holder.

We have the Thor 31L so there is quite a bit of storage area underneath also. Suggestions on portable propane grills and most comfortable outdoor folding chairs would be gladly accepted.

Any ideas on how to gate off cab area so dogs can not come into it while traveling but still be able to get to the living area & bathroom from the cab? I was thinking maybe a pressure mounted walk through gate, would like feedback on that thought.

And last for right now, does anyone know if there is a pressure mounted walk through gate that is made small enough to fit in the doorway to the bedroom. I measured the opening at 28.5".

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #2

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
We started out worrying about things like that and found small towels, plastic bags left over from WalMart and cloth shopping bags helped a lot. But in time we found it wasn't as big a problem as we thought it would be.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
3 dogs? They will rule your world so stop thinking otherwise Ok, the magnetic thing I just used screws to mount mine. I use plastic bags between some pans to stop rattles, if you get plates and such that match they will lay on top of each other and not bother, glass items I use pieces of cardboard. Wine glasses came in a box, I use the box to store..
Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
For rattles, I cut out rubber shelf liner in the shape of pot bottoms and placed it in between them. Also lined every drawer and shelf bottom with it. Cuts noise.

Propane grills, I have done away with them both at home and the rv. We use a large pedestal type George Forman grill on the patio and a smaller one with removable ceramic plates on the rv and use it mostly outside.

Chairs, we have the Coleman folding chairs with the built in side table.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Model: 31L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4952
The dogs are why I bought a motor coach instead of a 5th wheel!

When you screw things to the wall do you use mollies? It seems like the walls are hollow.

Wine glasses?????? We'll just drink from the bottle
Old 07-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The exterior walls are foam filled. Interior walls usually thin paneling unless you just happen to find a wooden cross member behind the paneling in the exact place you want to mount something. I would use some of the adhesive mounts by 3M.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Rattles - my wife lined the bottom and sides of drawers with bubble wrap (small bubble style) and then for pots and pans places dish towels between them.

Dogs - we keep ours secured with a harness and tether. I bought a small seat belt extender and attached it to the passenger seat so the dog can be secured between us and she travels fine with this configuration. A for us is not an option and most states we travel in through require pets be secure.

Command products work well. I used the double stick velcro type command strips for mounting a plaque. It's been in place for a year without issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenswie View Post
New to the snow bird motor coach world. Just bought our first RV this week. Need some tips on how to pack drawers with items like silverware, pots & pans, etc the best way to avoid rattling. There will only be 2 adults and 3 dogs traveling.

Also, any tips will be appreciated on the best way to attach things to the walls. Are Command products the best bet? I want to mount a magnetic knife holder strip to the wall over the stove top and also a small magnetic spice holder.

We have the Thor 31L so there is quite a bit of storage area underneath also. Suggestions on portable propane grills and most comfortable outdoor folding chairs would be gladly accepted.

Any ideas on how to gate off cab area so dogs can not come into it while traveling but still be able to get to the living area & bathroom from the cab? I was thinking maybe a pressure mounted walk through gate, would like feedback on that thought.

And last for right now, does anyone know if there is a pressure mounted walk through gate that is made small enough to fit in the doorway to the bedroom. I measured the opening at 28.5".

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I also started using some of the packing items from the boxes we get delivered to the house, i.e., Amazon.... The bubble wrap, the air filled little pillows are great for taking up the space in the underneath storage areas.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Rosenswie,

Not sure of the layout in the 31L but in ours we got a rattle between the metal cover over the gas range (placed a hand towel under the metal cover), a rattle in the microwave (remove the metal rack) and in the dish cabinet (got a beachball and once all dishes and glasses were in place we put the beachball in and inflate it till nothing wiggles around).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, gates, packing, rattles, walls