Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #23285
Newbie question on a Thor Freedom elite 22HE 2022 unit

Took my unit on its first trip and I perform quite well except I had two issues with the coach inside. Number one was when I turn the heater on the smoke alarm went off after the heater became warmer no it did not do this when we had our inspection at the dealership upon purchase in the unit but we only turned that on until it got a little warm. I turned off the heater and the smoke alarm reset itself my question is since it’s a new unit do I need to burn off whatever oils or contaminants that are on the heater coil‘s or the heater itself and just deal with the smoke alarm until dissipates whatever causing the alarm to go off and if that’s true how long does it usually take kind a like a barbecue grill or a wall heater in old home. Issue number two showerhead is a cheap plastic showerhead very Inexpensive,more water went out of the shower then in the shower on me seems like the head was plugged,I purchased a new shower head after installing it can I use my water at home as if it was an RV connection with a pressure reducer at the outside Spicket? Thanks for all your input you guys are very helpful

Old 05-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
The smoke alarm shouldn't go off unless there is a problem. If it persists, get the repair shop to look at it.

I would test any plumbing repairs/replacements on both the 12v water pump and city water.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
It's not at all uncommon for the smoke detector to alarm when using the furnace the first few times. As you mentioned, it's burning off any contaminants that found their way into the furnace during assembly, such as sawdust (which you'll find a LOT of throughout the coach!). If it persists after the first few uses, get it checked.
As for the shower, the showerhead is the first thing I replace in every RV I've owned. The cheap ones they install go in the trash, along with the stiff plastic hose attached to it. I replace them with a very flexible stainless steel hose and a decent quality showerhead with a built in pause switch. And it is perfectly safe to use on "city water" hookup with regulated pressure.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
My smoke alarm went off when I first used the furnace on our Chateau. Of course, I immediately turned the furnace off and opened the door/windows to air out the coach.
Smelled a bit like oil so I turned the furnace back on for several minutes.
Problem went away and has not reoccurred.
I figured that it was some combination of debris, dust, etc.
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:52 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
My only problem is with the CO/Propane alarm. I keep hitting the test button with my shoe. Drive the DW nuts.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:02 AM   #6

THOR #23285
Thankyou very much for everyone's great input ,man I love this web site !!