Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2023, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #29840
Newbie: Where to get RV serviced?

So we just bought a used 2019 Windsport 29M. I had called numerous places trying to find a shop to service (oil change, trans and coolant etc) and check (tires, brakes, front end etc). Everyone seemed to not work on RVs. Finally I stumbled on a Freightliner shop that said they could work on it. So I do our first drive (40 miles) and leave RV with the service writer I had spoken with several times. Next day (today) I get a call from this shop saying they basically only work on diesel engines, and RVs aren’t their thing. They had no clue why the original service writer didn’t ask me the important particulars about my vehicle. Anyways, feeling bad for me, they agreed to do most of the services I asked for.

I’m sure some things won’t get done/checked - which leads me to ask, where do you all get your gasoline powered RVs serviced? Any national chain? I am in the Catskills region of NY…

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2023, 02:41 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I would look for an independent mobil mechanic. They can often do both coach and chassis maintenance.

David
Old 06-03-2023, 04:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I would look for an independent mobil mechanic. They can often do both coach and chassis maintenance.

David
Yep! And while he's there pick his brain for any questions you may have about operating your new to you RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #4

Model: 2019 Windsport 29M
THOR #29840
Thanks. We did do a Google search for a mechanic in our area, but came up with nothing. Will try searching again using “mobile mechanic rv”…
Old 06-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I found the one Chevy dealership in town that services the 4500 cutaway box trucks. They can do any chassis service that doesn't require putting it on a lift due to ceiling height and they have a pit for getting underneath for oil changes and the like. I had to have alignment done at a different place that specializes in alignment and axle work though. It really depends. Call around. (Or go the mobile RV route. Around here they cost more though.)
Old 06-03-2023, 05:08 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedMikel View Post
Thanks. We did do a Google search for a mechanic in our area, but came up with nothing. Will try searching again using “mobile mechanic rv”…

Call your local campgrounds and ask them for names and numbers. Most all mobile RV mechanics and detailers leave their contact info with RV parks and campgrounds and the folks at the campgrounds soon learn the good ones from the not so good.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:12 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Call your local campgrounds and ask them for names and numbers. Most all mobile RV mechanics and detailers leave their contact info with RV parks and campgrounds and the folks at the campgrounds soon learn the good ones from the not so good.
The best plan is the one quote above.
Then;
Treat them like a long lost friend, tip well, give them a homemade something, follow up with a thank you text and a call to the boss if there is a boss.

You'll be at the head of the line for the next call.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:51 PM   #8

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Find a truck repair shop they will work on your Rv
Old 06-07-2023, 11:03 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
RV service is a multi-stop process. A lot of the repairs and servicing are done by me in my driveway. Chassis parts acquisition and annual state inspections are done at a nearby Ford dealership. Tire replacement at the local Discount Tire shop. Front end alignment at a Ford medium duty truck shop about 50 miles from home. RV parts mostly come from Amazon. I haven't used them yet, but a local mom and pop shop works on RVs for stuff like A/C, brakes and bearing and such. RV ownership is definitely not as easy as owning a car or pick up.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:41 PM   #10

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
If you are in the syracuse area 7 RV repair shops some mobile.
Go to yahoo, put Rv service in the search bar hit enter and you will see a list and a map of them.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:10 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
So we just bought a used 2019 Windsport 29M. I had called numerous places trying to find a shop to service (oil change, trans and coolant etc) and check (tires, brakes, front end etc). Everyone seemed to not work on RVs. Finally I stumbled on a Freightliner shop that said they could work on it. So I do our first drive (40 miles) and leave RV with the service writer I had spoken with several times. Next day (today) I get a call from this shop saying they basically only work on diesel engines, and RVs aren’t their thing. They had no clue why the original service writer didn’t ask me the important particulars about my vehicle. Anyways, feeling bad for me, they agreed to do most of the services I asked for.

I’m sure some things won’t get done/checked - which leads me to ask, where do you all get your gasoline powered RVs serviced? Any national chain? I am in the Catskills region of NY…

Thanks!
Look for an independent truck repair shop. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. The shop I found in Cedar Rapids services both Trucks and Motorhomes. In fact, they have two shops one for RVs and one for Trucks but, any heavy RV work like kingpin bushing replacement or engine replacement is done at the truck shop.

Also, if you are ever near Winfield Kansas and need repairs look up B & L Truck and Auto, 15469 US Highway 77 Winfield KS 67156. This shop is amazing. I had an unfortunate encounter with a truck tire retread carcass that pushed the tailpipe under the rear tire which pulled the tail pipe onto the drive shaft and bending the drive shaft. These folks built a new drive shaft and bent the salvageable exhaust system parts back into place and installed a new replacement tail pipe from Ford all in a week. Most of that time was waiting for parts to arrive.

Bottom line is that there are gems like this all over the country you just have to find them.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:21 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Look for an independent truck repair shop. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. The shop I found in Cedar Rapids services both Trucks and Motorhomes. In fact, they have two shops one for RVs and one for Trucks but, any heavy RV work like kingpin bushing replacement or engine replacement is done at the truck shop.

Also, if you are ever near Winfield Kansas and need repairs look up B & L Truck and Auto, 15469 US Highway 77 Winfield KS 67156. This shop is amazing. I had an unfortunate encounter with a truck tire retread carcass that pushed the tailpipe under the rear tire which pulled the tail pipe onto the drive shaft and bending the drive shaft. These folks built a new drive shaft and bent the salvageable exhaust system parts back into place and installed a new replacement tail pipe from Ford all in a week. Most of that time was waiting for parts to arrive.

Bottom line is that there are gems like this all over the country you just have to find them.
One other thing, if you are able do the work, learn how to do the basic stuff like oil changes and minor repairs. One resource of how-to information in the RV Steet U Tube channel. This has wealth of informational videos. See:

https://www.youtube.com/RVstreet

Unfortunately, Martin passed April 2023 but he has left a legacy of helpful information.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #13

Model: Quantum WS31
THOR #14399
Quote:

Thanks!
Not sure where you live in NY. In the Albany area Albany Light Truck off of Everett oad is a great shop who performs work on many RVs. 518-437-0304.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #26608
You might check with your local Ford dealer. I believe your Windsport is on the Ford chassis like our Hurricane is. We have a Ford dealer in our area that will work on them.

Tags
service shops