Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Propane extension hose

Just wondering if I am missing something or need a little education.

I installed a propane tee to run my grill or propane fire pit of the main tank. Every time I pack up I close the tank valve and disconnect the hose, left over propane escapes from the hose. Seems normal except for how long it does. It seems it still is off gassing for 10 to 15 minutes. The hose is 12 feet long. I am afraid of putting it in the storage compartment until fully vented.

Is there anything others do to prevent this long of venting or is it just normal for these standard hoses? Really shows how much compressed gas is in a small section of hose.

2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The way I handle this for my grill is before turning off the grill I shut off the LPG at the quick connect thereby burning out any gas remaining in the lines. After the flame dies out I then turn off the burner on the grill and disconnect the hose.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Yep, what Dave said, also the hose will emit an door of propane from now on once the rubber has been impregnated with propane. I store my hose in the propane bottle compartment as it's open on the bottom, just tie it up so you don't lose it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Like dstankov I also shut off the coach valve first and then waits till flame dies. I took a heavy duty zip tie and put it around the coach propane tank support bracket. I use a heavy duty Velcro wrap to secure the hose in the tank compartment on the zip tie. I know you can smell propane on the hose but doubt there would be sufficient gas to cause a problem. The only reason I store my hose in the tank compartment is for convenience and easy access.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Thanks all, the main lesson I hear that you all do is store it in the open propane compartment. That is what I will start doing.

Also probably the same with burring the remaining on the grill. Only problem I have with that is, I would be lighting up the grill for no purpose, but at least the flame would consume the free propane. Normally I use the grill at night or late afternoon and leave the propane tank on for the night and early morning hot water, sometimes heat.

Seems we need to have a hose that has two valves on it, but that's a little complicated.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Thanks all, the main lesson I hear that you all do is store it in the open propane compartment. That is what I will start doing.

Also probably the same with burring the remaining on the grill. Only problem I have with that is, I would be lighting up the grill for no purpose, but at least the flame would consume the free propane. Normally I use the grill at night or late afternoon and leave the propane tank on for the night and early morning hot water, sometimes heat.

Seems we need to have a hose that has two valves on it, but that's a little complicated.
Looks like you threw in a second part to the question. The line going from the LPG tank to the grill quick disconnect.

After burning off the grill I roll up my hose and store it in the same storage compartment as the grill. This storage compartment happens to be directly under the CO LP detector in the coach and I have never smelled LPG inside. If desired you can connect the two fittings together so the hose is a closed loop.

I had not, until now, thought about the line running from the tank to the grill quick connect. You are correct in that would require a second valve to ensure that line was free of LPG. A thought on this is a separate male quick connect fitting that could be connected, after closing the tank valve, to bleed off any excess LPG in that line.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The male end of the hose is swaged on the hose, no way to add a valve there. After you close the valve on the coach you could open the BBQ valve and bleed off the gas without lighting the grill, there won't be that much. The female end is threaded on, this is where I added the 90 elbow, but unless you added a T there isn't any other way to add a valve to to hose. Also, I went to the hardware store and got a large and a small cap to press on the hose ends to keep crud out when not using.