Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #3616
no customer service

The 2004 Damon Challenger Motorhome has a two piece windshield that has an inherent engineering problem as the units get older the windshield will unexpectedly pop out of the rubber seal. It seems as if the flexing of the front cap causes the windshield to pop out of the rubber seal at the top in some cases ¾ to 1 inch, 6-8 inches in length. This creates a problem when you’re driving along the road and it pops out. It allows water to come in and make you wonder if the entire windshield will fall out or worse blow in on the driver and passenger. The manufacturer, Thor Motor Coach will not take credit for the problem. It is understood that this is a problem on all models with two piece windshields. I have called over 20 RV glass businesses to get this repaired and no one will take the job because of the inherent problem with the windshield’s continuing to pop out of the rubber seal. Once they understand the issue they turn down the work because they can’t warranty the repair. I believe it is a traffic Safety issue that needs to be resolved by the Thor Motor Coach who bought out the Damon Corporation. Even if Thor could design a fix for the situation and give it out to RV Glass Replacement companies it would be a plus So Far Thor has not done anything about this. I reported this problem to the NHTSA.
I have over 1450 friends on Facebook and many other friends who may be interested in a buying a Motorhome or other RV, however it is difficult to guide them to your company; Thor Motor Coach because you do stand behind your original customers. I can either help you sell coaches or I can put a dent in your sales if I post this note on Facebook. I was the only owner of the above mentioned motorhome and you (Tom Overton – 877-855-2867 ext. 2079) are telling me there is now a fix for the windshield issue, but you won’t support the customer in fixing the problem that you knew existed for quite some time. There should have been a recall issued to fix this once and for all. After all, there are a large number of these windshield issues on the Damon Coaches in all the forums, so it is just not mine; you have an in-built engineering problem. I don’t have $5000 to throw out to get this inherent manufacturing problem fixed; it should be the responsibility of the Manufacturer as you’re the one who inherited the design. Apparently you have known about this for a long time as there is now a fix. It requires removing the front cap, something that I can’t do myself, so I need to get a third party involved and pay unabsorbent amount of money. I am asking you and the Thor Motor Coach to pay the third party to fix our long time windshield issue.
If you can’t support what I am asking I will put a dent into your sales by putting this note on my social network. It’s not as if I am a ticked off employee ranting, I am just a customer that bought one of your motorhomes, that has always had an inherent problem with the windshield and I am asking for some customer Service in getting this problem fixed once and for all. You can tell the world you have the top customer service department but in reality you can’t support me in getting this problem fixed. I don’t enjoy driving down the road wondering if the windshield is going to blow in on us or fall out completely. I would like to have some piece of mind.
I called a large RV dealer in the area and he stated to me it would over 6K to remove the cap and fix the windshield. If I had 6K I would put it toward a newer RV with a single windshield.
So in summary if you can’t help me; I will not help you, however if you accept responsibility and fix this problem I will be your biggest Ambassador.

Robert Strickland - 352-746-4687

Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
ThorForums.com is not in any way Associated with Thor Industries or its RV manufacturing
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Fhenn, you are correct.

But it would be nice if they all would take a look at what the end users are saying/wanting. Some targeted market research...free for the taking.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Doc at one time they did visit us once in a while, but it has been a long time since they clocked in. There maybe several under different handles but have no idea if or who they are
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Fhenn, I have been here less than a year but I can see changes in the Vegas product line - changes that have been discussed on this Forum: the use of the 450 Chassis, the re-routing of the transmission cable away from the exhaust system, more sound proofing, changes in the bathroom door, movement away (hopefully) from Harris batteries and apparent changes in the windshield design just to name a few. Maybe, just maybe, some open-minded underling at Thor has chosen to "risk" viewing what the end users are saying and what we want.

If it leads to a better product and a better bottom line, maybe more attention will be paid to the end user. Only time will tell.

OKAY, off the soapbox and infront of the TV...GO PANTHERS"!!!!!!!!!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote