Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
No inverter on Vegas 24.1?

I sent an email with some questions about the Axis/Vegas 24.1 to a dealer and they just responded. One of those questions was about the size of the onboard inverter in the 24.1 and the response was that it does not have any inverter.

I was surprised to hear that a Class A/C (OK. I don't know which category it really fits into) would not have any inverter. Is that true? What about the TVs. Can they only be operated on when on shore power? Or are they DC TVs?

Old 09-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
No inverter
Gotta have 110v to run your TVs

The good news is that many on this Forum have done professional DIY inverter mods.

Search the Forum and you will find info on how to.

On edit...here’s a good one to start your search:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...12&postcount=5
Old 09-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Thanks for the info. I don't think we could dry camp without an inverter given how my wife loves to run fans to circulate the air inside the RV, use her electric tea kettle and watch some TV before we go to sleep.

Good to know installing one is not too much trouble.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Some smaller TVs are DC powered, but not many are powered with 12V DC. The DC powered ones have a brick that takes AC and converts it to DC but often at 19V like laptops. Some years ago I searched the Best Buy inventory and finally found an AC to 12V DC powered TV. I cut off the brick and wired it directly to the DC system on my boat. For all I know there may not be any 12V DC TVs any more.

Probably the simplest but maybe not the most elegant way is to use a small dedicated inverter for your TV. Check the TV's power rating and if it is less than about 100 watts you can use a cigarette lighter plug-in model. Otherwise you will have to run DC wiring from your power center or battery to the inverter. Then just plug the TV's power cord into the inverter's AC socket.

Thinking more specifically of the 24.1, the LR TV is right above the entry door, so taking power directly from the battery which is under the steps shouldn't be too difficult. You can mount the inverter inside the overhead cabinet aft of the door. Perhaps the outlet that powers the TV is inside that cabinet so it might be fairly easy.

Thinking about your other AC needs like the tea kettle, I would just start the generator or use the gas stove. The fans you are speaking of must be portable AC fans. I would install some DC fans such as are made for boats. Here are a couple of pages of them- https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=fan

And FWIW, you and I are obviously seriously looking at the 24.1. I am going to wait until late winter for this market to settle down before doing anything. And it will definitely be a 2018+.

David
Old 09-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think we could dry camp without an inverter given how my wife loves to run fans to circulate the air inside the RV, use her electric tea kettle and watch some TV before we go to sleep.

Good to know installing one is not too much trouble.
I’m Boon-docker, sounds like you are one too.

So:
1) make sure that you have 2 good batteries (Flooded, AGM or Lithoum)
2) add your inverter as an integrated system. You won’t be sorry. Follow the steps outlined by Finding My Happy (although he has since changed his name on Utube). IMHO...a 1200/2000 is all you really need. But you must have the “auto transfer switch”. Prices have gone up, but still under $350 on Amazon.
3) finally...you need a minimum 200 watts solar to charge your batteries while Boon-docking. (Some claim you need more, still others say don’t install solar at all)

If you are half-way handy you can do all the labor yourself.

Follow all the how-to suggestions on the Forum. It’s all there, just requires that you read & study it.

Good luck and keep us posted on your additions.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
12V TVs

https://kempoo.com/rv/best-12-volt-tv/

Cheaper than an inverter.

Had all Jensens (3) in our SunSeeker class c a few years ago and they worked real well.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
12V TVs

Old 09-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
12V TVs

Cheaper than an inverter.

Had all Jensens (3) in our SunSeeker class c a few years ago and they worked real well.
I don't think so Tim:

That Jensen 32" TV cost $360.

I bought a 1000 Watt PSW inverter for $160 which powers more than a TV (or 2 or 3). Current price is $140.

You can pick up a 720P (same as Axerra) 32" TCL ROKU Smart TV for $130.

or upgrade to a 40" 1080P TCL ROKU Smart TV for under $200.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #19013
we decided instead of upgrading our batteries and adding solar and an invertor to watch tv while boondocking we went with a battery operated usb charging pico projector. On our axis we put pico on the flip out tray in kitchen and project it onto the night shade and plug an av cable into front stereo jack and stream from our phone(netflix hgtv animal planet pluto tv..... and rotate front seats out of the way. Works great very little power consumption large picture and bonus we take it outside and have movie night against the side of the coach