RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Noise Level Axis Vegas

I can't find an earlier post but I tested the cockpit noise level. High was 69 dB during acceleration onto freeway. Cruising at 65 mph was 60dB. Used the "Sound Meter" app on my android phone.
I put Fatmat Sound Deadener as mod earlier and wanted to see what my level are. Wished I had measured prior to sound deadener

Anyone have a 2016 V10 E450 with 6 speed to measure baseline? Tks in advance. Measurement was at chest high just in front on passenger (DW)

__________________

__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,435
THOR #1765
See 2016 Axis impressions thread. Below is post #52

2016 Axis noise levels and insulation
I think my link got hijacked (just kidding, some really good discussions) but I will continue with my first impressions of my new 2016 Axis 24.1. This post will concentrate on noise levels and engine insulation. My 2014 Vegas was extremely noisy when I first got it, registering 85 db at 65 mph on the interstate. Turned out that Thor had put virtually no insulation between the engine and the passengers and had left the window pillars open in the engine compartment. When I removed the "dog house" (engine cover) there was no insulation at all. Using 15 sq ft of engine insulation and cooling mat, I was able to get the db level at 65 mph down to a little less than 80 db and significantly lowered the heat transfer from the engine to the coach.

The 2016 Axis had been improved in this area and the db level at 65 mph on our trip home was around 80 db, or about what I was able to get my Vegas down to. When I pulled the dog house today (see picture) I found that a good piece of insulation had been added. In addition another piece of insulation had been added in the engine compartment just forward of the dog house. Unfortunately, that insulation covered less than half of wall between the back of the engine and the dog house. In addition no insulation at all had been added to the walls between the front of the engine and the passenger compartment. It does look, however, that there is an additional wall in the front of the engine between the dashboard and the engine compartment. That does provide some additional insulation.

I added 15 sq ft of noise and heat insulation in the engine compartment. A little went in the dog house, a little more to finish insulating the back of the engine compartment from the passenger area and most to the front of the engine on the fire wall and beneath the dashboard.

Thor did hear the complaints and did something to try and improve the noise levels. Unfortunately, it was very limited and helped only a little. We will see if the additional 15 sq ft of insulation (cost $50) lowers the noise and heat levels much further
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: image.jpeg
Views: 16
Size: 114.3 KB
ID: 1362
__________________

__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I can't find an earlier post but I tested the cockpit noise level. High was 69 dB during acceleration onto freeway. Cruising at 65 mph was 60dB. Used the "Sound Meter" app on my android phone.
I put Fatmat Sound Deadener as mod earlier and wanted to see what my level are. Wished I had measured prior to sound deadener

Anyone have a 2016 V10 E450 with 6 speed to measure baseline? Tks in advance. Measurement was at chest high just in front on passenger (DW)

We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 ... never thought about checking DB ... will see if I can find DB meter in the office and check it when we get out next week.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,435
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 ... never thought about checking DB ... will see if I can find DB meter in the office and check it when we get out next week.
There's a free app for that, if you have an iPhone.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
There's a free app for that, if you have an iPhone.
I DO ! and will locate app...I found db meter too ! thankyou !
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
See 2016 Axis impressions thread. Below is post #52

2016 Axis noise levels and insulation
I think my link got hijacked (just kidding, some really good discussions) but I will continue with my first impressions of my new 2016 Axis 24.1. This post will concentrate on noise levels and engine insulation. My 2014 Vegas was extremely noisy when I first got it, registering 85 db at 65 mph on the interstate. Turned out that Thor had put virtually no insulation between the engine and the passengers and had left the window pillars open in the engine compartment. When I removed the "dog house" (engine cover) there was no insulation at all. Using 15 sq ft of engine insulation and cooling mat, I was able to get the db level at 65 mph down to a little less than 80 db and significantly lowered the heat transfer from the engine to the coach.

The 2016 Axis had been improved in this area and the db level at 65 mph on our trip home was around 80 db, or about what I was able to get my Vegas down to. When I pulled the dog house today (see picture) I found that a good piece of insulation had been added. In addition another piece of insulation had been added in the engine compartment just forward of the dog house. Unfortunately, that insulation covered less than half of wall between the back of the engine and the dog house. In addition no insulation at all had been added to the walls between the front of the engine and the passenger compartment. It does look, however, that there is an additional wall in the front of the engine between the dashboard and the engine compartment. That does provide some additional insulation.

I added 15 sq ft of noise and heat insulation in the engine compartment. A little went in the dog house, a little more to finish insulating the back of the engine compartment from the passenger area and most to the front of the engine on the fire wall and beneath the dashboard.

Thor did hear the complaints and did something to try and improve the noise levels. Unfortunately, it was very limited and helped only a little. We will see if the additional 15 sq ft of insulation (cost $50) lowers the noise and heat levels much further
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: image.jpeg
Views: 16
Size: 114.3 KB
ID: 1362
Tks for info. Looks like my sound deadening works from my readings compared to the ones you are getting
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
There's a free app for that, if you have an iPhone.
there are like four for android at the Google Play store.
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 613
THOR #3471
Can you insulate the engine area without removing the doghouse
__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,180
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net
Can you insulate the engine area without removing the doghouse
Well you can insulate the bottom of the dash through the front "hood" and plug the bottom holes of the two A-Pillars.
If you are really flexible I suppose you could crawl under the coach and slide some insulation up above the engine to insulate the dog house--but it is far easier to simply remove it.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,435
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Can you insulate the engine area without removing the doghouse
The short answer is no.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,435
THOR #1765
[QUOTE=Baddad53;30665]Tks for info. Looks like my sound deadening works from my readings compared to the ones you are getting [/

This is a post I did on 28 Feb on the noise level after adding the insulation. The effect of road surface has a large effect on road noise, so it is difficult to compare vehicles, especially using telephone apps.


We drove to Everglades National Park for the weekend to "shake down" our new Axis. Everything went very well. On the way there, my scan guage said that I got 12.0 mpg over about 50 miles at 55mph with the wind quartering behind us; on the way home, the scan guage said 10.8 mpg at 65 mph with a stiff wind from the side. I took some noise readings going home with an Apple app on my iPad and got readings of 68-70 db at 55 mph on a two lane good road. The app says that is "normal conversation" level and we could easily carry on a conversation without raising our voices. With the added insulation in the engine compartment, there is a very noticeable difference. It is significantly quieter than our 2014 Vegas
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #12
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
We did our ''maiden voyage' in the new 2016 Axis 24.1 this past weekend too!
We had no reference point for comparison, other than our B+ with the E350 .
We have not used our db meter yet, but do agree with Oneil..we had no significant noise and were able to carry on a normal conversation.
Anxious to to do a reading in our coach.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The short answer is no.
I totally agree. The hard part is replacing the doghouse. The two bottom screws and the cage screws have to be lined up and I used a punch but a small screw driver would work. I put Fat Mat on the bottom side of the floor to all areas I could reach from the doghouse also. And I went right over the top the small sound deadening Thor Installed on the doghouse.
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Thanks everyone for the dB comments. Sounds like the mod was worth it.
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,435
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I totally agree. The hard part is replacing the doghouse. The two bottom screws and the cage screws have to be lined up and I used a punch but a small screw driver would work. I put Fat Mat on the bottom side of the floor to all areas I could reach from the doghouse also. And I went right over the top the small sound deadening Thor Installed on the doghouse.
Good idea. I did the same thing in the dog house area. At least this time Thor put a little bit if FatMat in that area, but not much.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 7
THOR #14236
A big thank you for the Axis Vegas noise reduction information! I have a 2017 Axis and just ordered some noise reduction Dynamat Extreme. Wish I had researched the subject before. DarwinB
__________________
darwinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinB View Post
A big thank you for the Axis Vegas noise reduction information! I have a 2017 Axis and just ordered some noise reduction Dynamat Extreme. Wish I had researched the subject before. DarwinB
OWBcKUlFBz4PxpHX59J1B1FUogiyRgMaAoS2EALw_wcB
__________________

__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×