Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
One Year and 19,000 Miles Later

A little more than a year ago we bought our first motorhome – the Axis 25.1. When we were researching, we found the information in the forum to be very helpful. For those of you in the research phase, here are some of our thoughts after the first year and 19,000 miles:

The good:

We love traveling in our RV. Easy to drive and the layout is perfect for us. Because of the room that transforms in the back, it basically feels like bigger coach when we’re driving. There have been a few issues, nothing terrible, all major house systems have worked well to date. I’m really happy with the engine performance, 19,000 miles in and it has performed great. The slightly better gas mileage (about 9.2, 8.7 when flat towing) is noticeable on our longer trips. The view out of the front windshield when we drive and when we’re parked is outstanding. The cost of the RV was less than others in its class.

Could be better:

At first, our coach didn't drive well. It pulled all the time. It needed a front end alignment. We added some other modifications and now, with the exception of strong side winds, it drives great. But it’s frustrating that a new coach drives so terrible directly off the lot. The dinette seat cushions are a joke. The pop-up trailer we bought for 8K in 2002 had seat cushions that were better. The wind noise in the front cockpit can get really loud at times. The front driver and passenger side windows seem to be the culprit. The AC unit is not strong enough and takes too long to cool the RV. There are other minor annoyances I won’t get into, but they are reminders that you get what you pay for.

If we could go back, would we do it again?

Absolutely! If we had to do it all over again, we would buy the same coach. It’s not perfect, but we recognize that the lower cost of the Axis/Vegas model allowed us to join the motorhome community now, rather than having to wait a few years. In our Axis we’ve been able to explore the country and seen areas ranging from the Niagara Falls to Galveston to Graceland to Savannah to Disney World. The RV has made our exploration not only doable, but fun. I will say that going forward I have some reservations about buying a more expensive Thor product. Kind of leaning towards Newmar or Tiffin, but we’re still a few years out from upgrading and who knows what kind of models will be on the market then.

What’s on our wish list for our next coach or product upgrade
?

Full body paint, slam shut storage doors, automatic leveling, satellite TV, couch with footrest, more food storage capability, washer/dryer, media switch

Best advice we’ve received:

Get a front end alignment. Join a RV forum. Plan for more time, it takes a bit longer getting from point A to point B, especially when you’re towing. Check your roof often for leaks or signs of stress. You Tube is a great resource for learning about the various systems of an RV. Do it now, why wait until retirement to enjoy an RV?

Lessons from the road:

Stuff happens when you’re rushed and refuse to use the checklist. The gas app is great, really helps in finding where gas stations and better gas prices are located. The driving experience is better when time behind the wheel is shared. Rubber shelf liners cut into the shape of a placemat work wonders in keeping items from moving while driving. Come up with a system to communicate with each other when backing in. Turns out my frantic arm waving doesn’t have the effectiveness I was hoping for. Don't leave a mouthwash spill left out on the counter overnight, it dissolves the laminate surface.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863
The wind noise in the front cockpit can get really loud at times.
Open the "hood" and look at the A-Pillars: If they are open on the bottom find something to cover them with--I used some fatmat. That reduced some of the noise in ours.

Quote:
Stuff happens when you’re rushed and refuse to use the checklist.
I always count on missing at least one item from the checklist; two if I'm in a hurry.

Quote:
Come up with a system to communicate with each other when backing in.
I've found that I don't need much assistance backing in the Axis; its so much smaller than our 5er that its like parking a car. For the few locations that I do need assistance (like heavily wooded campsites) I simply open both front windows to hear the director.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Great review, thanks for sharing your experience! Look at what you have learned in your first year!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #4

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Thanks Jamie, appreciate the feedback.

Mr Sunshine - I think we can shed the newbie label.....
Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Open the "hood" and look at the A-Pillars: If they are open on the bottom find something to cover them with--I used some fatmat. That reduced some of the noise in ours.

I always count on missing at least one item from the checklist; two if I'm in a hurry.

I've found that I don't need much assistance backing in the Axis; its so much smaller than our 5er that its like parking a car. For the few locations that I do need assistance (like heavily wooded campsites) I simply open both front windows to hear the director.
I bought walkie-talkies for the maneuvering issues... Worth the cheap investment.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
RV, my wife and I use our cell phones to communicate. I have a holder on the dash, after connecting I put my phone on speaker so I have hands free. We have a very tight spot where we store our coach, wife's directions are clear and it makes parking so much easier!

Great review of your coach and travel!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Excellent review. I too find the 24.1 to be the ideal size and hardly need any help backing in to most sites.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Great review and it is nice to see someone really using their coach. I second Jamie's comment on using Fatmat up front to lessen the noise. I put it under the doghouse and all over the engine compartment and it really helped. As for the dash A/C, we found it marginal at best in hot weather (like we have in Florida) so my wife made curtains that hang on a spring rod behind the front seats. (There are pictures in the forum of someone else who did it first) That keeps the cool air in the front and really helps. A cheaper fix than running the coach A/C all the time.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I bought walkie-talkies for the maneuvering issues... Worth the cheap investment.
I do the same. We also use them when we drive in a convoy to communicate between units.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
As for the dash A/C, we found it marginal at best in hot weather (like we have in Florida) so my wife made curtains that hang on a spring rod behind the front seats. (There are pictures in the forum of someone else who did it first) That keeps the cool air in the front and really helps. A cheaper fix than running the coach A/C all the time.
This seems to be a pretty common mod in the motorhome world. I use ready made insulation curtains to do this. For me it is more to keep it warm in the front when driving in the winter.