Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #5216
Norcold Fridge

I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 with a Norcold fridge. The RV has not been used for a while and sits with shore power on the side of my house. Recently I noticed that the fridge may have been left on with no food inside and there was a cover on the RV. I removed the cover and noted the fridge and freezer were warm. I turned them off and back on. It was hot and sunny. The next morning both were cold. Later in the day when it was hot and sunny, they were warm. The next day the same thing occurred. Could this be the result of a loss of some refrigerant during the time the RV just sat there? Thanks for any ideas and solutions.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #2

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
In the household refrigerant world, I would suspect the temperature control is not functioning properly. Since you're getting a cold box the likelihood is it is not the refrigerant.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCVolkman View Post
I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 with a Norcold fridge. The RV has not been used for a while and sits with shore power on the side of my house. Recently I noticed that the fridge may have been left on with no food inside and there was a cover on the RV. I removed the cover and noted the fridge and freezer were warm. I turned them off and back on. It was hot and sunny. The next morning both were cold. Later in the day when it was hot and sunny, they were warm. The next day the same thing occurred. Could this be the result of a loss of some refrigerant during the time the RV just sat there? Thanks for any ideas and solutions.
Are you setting completely level? These fridges can only be off a few degrees
Old 08-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #4

THOR #5216
Level and Fridge

The RV is on a slight slope, but it has been there a while and the fridge has always worked. However the RV has been sitting in one place for a few years and I am trying to get it back on the road. Thanks for the level idea though. Does anyone have other thoughts on what else may be causing the problem? Thanks
Old 08-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #5

THOR #20274
In an unlevel RV fridge, when the ammonia vapor in the condenser fins cools to a liquid, but the liquid ammonia isn’t able to fall (via gravity) all the way to evaporator coils, it may instead collect in the tubing between the two and instead form ammonia crystals.

These crystals (the solid form of ammonia) can clog the circulatory system of the refrigerator in the same way that cholesterol clogs the arteries of a person. Is there HEAT in the back of the fridge when you turn it on?
Old 08-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #6

THOR #20274
What does your fridge run on? is it 12 volt/120 and gas or just 120 and gas. I wonder if the heating element is burned out, have you tried it on propane and see if the burner lights behind the cover?
Old 08-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #7

THOR #5216
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to clear the crystals?

I think it is 120v and propane and on AC the problem of getting cold and then hot later on was evident 2 days in a row. I tried it on propane but only for a short while.and it did not seem to help. I have not had time to do a lot of troubleshooting but will asap.

I am not at the RV and will try your suggestions when I am.

Thanks!!
Old 08-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #8

Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
If all else fails, you may want to try removing the fridge and turning it over a few times. In my years of owning a campground, I have seen this method work many times.
A couple things that have to be done are 1. remove the fridge from the RV- (I think that's obvious rather than turning the RV over) and B. after the turning trick is completed let the fridge sit upright for 24 hours - or 1 day which ever comes first.
Good luck! If this works it saves a lot of money. Ed