Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Not all CWs are the same

I had an interesting CW experience today that showed me that not all CWs are alike. We camped last night at Clarksville, TN. When we got ready to leave today, the entry step was retracted. I started the motor and the step extended. No matter what I did or how I positioned the entry step switch, the step retracted when the ignition was turned off and extended when the ignition was on. I decided to drive with it out until I got to Nashville, where I knew there was a Camping World. My wife was watching out the mirror as we drove down the highway and noticed that sometimes the step was out and sometimes it was retracted. I got to CW in Nashville and went into the service and explained that I was traveling through town, what my problem was and asked if they could maybe look at it. They said since I didn't have an appointment, I would have to make an appointment before they could even look at it and the next appointment was in May. I didn't want to sit in their parking lot for two months, so I went on. When I got to Chattanooga, I stopped at the Chattanooga CW and explained the situation. They took it right in, gave us a ride to their store/RV sales building about a quarter mile away, and an hour later we were fixed with a new step controller and back on the road. Everyone there was pleasant, helpful, and very courteous. Best of all, though, they got my problem fixed. This was a very good experience.

FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Sounds like you beat the odds. Beware, your results will vary.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 AM   #3

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Sounds like you beat the odds. Beware, your results will vary.
Yes, that's right. I was just amazed at the different attitudes between the service folks at the two places. One didn't even want to talk to me; at the other they were all very customer oriented.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Thanks for the post its always good to hear the good things about CW. I know the one in Cedar Falls Iowa treated me right when I was there.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
The above sounds exactly right for CW Nashville. Bad, bad, bad, and worse
Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
What does a "step controller" look like and where is it located?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
You don't have to worry about one since our steps are fixed in Axis/Vegas units and thus don't have a step controller.

Some of the larger MH's have a step that automatically extends when you turn off the engine, or open the door. Our bottom step is already almost on the ground LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
I was just curious in case one of my buddies had trouble with their stairs.
I love the Axis / Vegas stair setup!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
While overall I feel that CW is worse than average, many times it is who you deal with and your attitude going in. I was stranded in the CW parking lot in Ocala, and the Sales Manager was there after hours doing work and helped me out greatly at the time, could not have been nicer. They did the work in a timely manner doing me a favor for an easy issue, but then completely hosed me on the price charged for the service. Lovely. I tried to speak to a couple people about the issue and got the cold shoulder....
Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
CW Service

Interesting comments about CW. I still urge people with the RVs to search out from friends where they are going for repairs and service and then check it out yourself. I feel extremely lucky that we have a family owned RV service shop that has been in business for years. Not cheap but does excellent work and is timely.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
THOR #10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I had an interesting CW experience today that showed me that not all CWs are alike. We camped last night at Clarksville, TN. When we got ready to leave today, the entry step was retracted. I started the motor and the step extended. No matter what I did or how I positioned the entry step switch, the step retracted when the ignition was turned off and extended when the ignition was on. I decided to drive with it out until I got to Nashville, where I knew there was a Camping World. My wife was watching out the mirror as we drove down the highway and noticed that sometimes the step was out and sometimes it was retracted. I got to CW in Nashville and went into the service and explained that I was traveling through town, what my problem was and asked if they could maybe look at it. They said since I didn't have an appointment, I would have to make an appointment before they could even look at it and the next appointment was in May. I didn't want to sit in their parking lot for two months, so I went on. When I got to Chattanooga, I stopped at the Chattanooga CW and explained the situation. They took it right in, gave us a ride to their store/RV sales building about a quarter mile away, and an hour later we were fixed with a new step controller and back on the road. Everyone there was pleasant, helpful, and very courteous. Best of all, though, they got my problem fixed. This was a very good experience.
Sounds to me like a near emergency repair request. I hope the Nashville service mgr. reads this. If so he/she should be ashamed.

I am in Roseville, CA and I have had generally excellent help from CW
Old 03-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #12

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Apparently it is someplace underneath the coach and behind the steps. I don't know what it looks like since I didn't see it.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
CW in Valencia is not good and the reviews show that. Used them twice. I like their store and the toys inside
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
We should maintain a database of all the CW's rating them on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. I would really like to avoid any 1 or 2 star places. They don't deserve my business anyway.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5554 View Post
We should maintain a database of all the CW's rating them on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. I would really like to avoid any 1 or 2 star places. They don't deserve my business anyway.
There is such a thing:
RV Service Reviews
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #7582
Thanks Jamie. I bookmarked that immediately. It should be stickied somewhere. One of my biggest fears on the road is getting raked over the coals by a dishonest or incompetent dealer only to learn there's a reputable dealer only a few miles away.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #17

THOR #8503
Hey, guys, hold onto your hats and you might want to sit down before reading this. I have now had two good CW service experiences in three days. I already told you about my good CW Chattanooga experience. Well, this morning we woke up in a very cold coach. The furnace wouldn't start. It just so happened, I was only 12 miles from CW Macon, GA. I called them and they told me to bring it in. I unhooked, broke camp and was there an hour later. They found the problem, got me fixed, and I was back in the campground, all hooked up and settled back in by mid-afternoon.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #18

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post

I’m from the Nashville area where I’m 30 min from CW; however I drive 3 hours to Chattanooga CW because of their excellent service. Ken
Old 03-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you found a real "keeper"!
(Put them on your speed-dial!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #20

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Glad to hear that you found a real "keeper"!
(Put them on your speed-dial!)
Bob, my problem is that Chattanooga is 8 hours away, and Macon is 13 hours. The CW near me has a terrible service reputation. Maybe I should move to Southern TN or Middle Georgia. [emoji848]
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704