Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
My husband is looking into sumo springs. If you care to comment on your experience, it would be most welcome.
I can share my experience with you. I drive a 31' long Hurricane on a Ford F53 chassis, and had all the driving problems almost everybody driving an F53 has. I first installed the CHF (cheap handling fix) to the front and rear sway bar links. This was followed by changing the stock shocks for Bilstein shocks, followed by the installation of a rear track Bar (Blue Ox Tiger Track). These modifications improved the handling a lot, but passing trucks still blue me o the side. Prior to a more than 4000 miles long trip this summer, I installed Sumo Maxime springs in the front. And that helped a lot! Trucks don't bother me anymore, in fact most of the times I don't even realize that a truck is passing me until I see it through my side window! My trip was to the Pacific North West, and I did a lot of mountain driving, some of it on rather small and very winding roads. That was not really fun, but not because of handling problems but rather because of the size of the vehicle.
Handling is no problem anymore, but I am still driving a truck and it is still rather harsh suspended when bad road sections are under its wheels.
I could install a Kelderman suspension system that would provide almost air ride qualities, but that would set me back about $10,000. I am currently investigating how I can achieve a similar ride for way less money. It helps that my son is a master mechanic with the largest Ford dealer in the state, and that we have a full equipped automotive shop at home.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793
Where did you get that windshield cover!? Thanks
If you are asking about ours as shown in this pic:

The windshield cover is a Sunguard RV windshield cover.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #23

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Jamiegeek, are they ever going to have all the lanes on the Rouge River bridge open? We used to travel to Royal Oak about once a year, and I remember very few times that all the lanes were open. Haven't been to Michigan but once since my sister retired and it was a quick pass thru trip. I'm hoping to get back up that way to see relatives that live in the Metro Detroit area.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
Jamiegeek, are they ever going to have all the lanes on the Rouge River bridge open? We used to travel to Royal Oak about once a year, and I remember very few times that all the lanes were open. Haven't been to Michigan but once since my sister retired and it was a quick pass thru trip. I'm hoping to get back up that way to see relatives that live in the Metro Detroit area.
Of course we only have 2 seasons - winter and construction... MDOT just started a 14 YEAR project on I-75 thru Oakland County (north of Detroit).

I should have invested in 'orange barrel' stock... lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Thanks!

[QUOTE=Hudsoner;49984]I can share my experience with you. I drive a 31' long Hurricane on a Ford F53 chassis, and had all the driving problems almost everybody driving an F53 has. I first installed the CHF (cheap handling fix) to the front and rear sway bar links. This was followed by changing ....

Thanks Hudsoner, your experience is very helpful. I expect this will be our next install. Sadly , Odie is going into storage tomorrow for the winter. Boo hoo.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
MDOT just started a 14 YEAR project on I-75 thru Oakland County (north of Detroit).
Yeah and the Rouge River bridge has been falling apart lately--I think they will be working on that a while.

If you're really bored you can read this: MDOT Mega Projects update (pdf) (Go to page 17 for Rouge River Bridge schedule.)
Old 11-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #27

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Your Trip

Here are my comments about your 24.1-

1. As far as handling is concerned, do you have a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed? Makes a huge difference in driving comfort, passing big rigs, etc...

2. Signals to your spouse when parking and backing? We bought a pair of Midland walkie-talkies.... I have a headset with a boom mike for the driver. Worth every penny.

Other than that, sounds like you all did pretty well.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Always puts a smile on my face when I read about folks enjoying their RV!

I have a cellphone mount on the dash, I put the phone on speaker and get directions from my wife hands free that way. My wife gives good directions but had no concept of distance, to her it's "close, closer, or really close." I figured out "really close" means about a foot so I'm ok with that! Lol.

I used to be a pilot and use checklists religiously, I keep one inside for my wife and one outside for me. I typed up my own checklists based on our coach, one side for departure, and one for arrival. I laminated our checklists so I don't worry about getting them wet. Don't have to worry about having a "senior moment" and forgetting something.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #29

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Sandy:

I don't know if you ever downloaded the Owners' Manual for Vegas/Axis that I compiled. In addition to providing a wealth of information not included in the Thor generic manual, it also contains a series of checklists.

Like SuperD mentioned, the first checklist in the manual is a setup and tear down checklist. That checklist can be laminated and kept separate from the manual for ready use. Each step in the checklist requiring switch configuration, connections, or adjustments is cross referenced to the page in the manual containing additional information for that step.

Here is a link to download the manual. It can be downloaded in either MSWord or PDF format.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #4900
Thanks so much for sharing your experience We too have a Vegas 24.1 with 2 teens and are heading out for our first road trip over Thanksgiving from Texas to Universal Studios Orlando 7 fun filled days of mandatory family fun! Yipee!!! Love the using the back pieces for a foot rest my girls will appreciate that. And LOL backing up at any time is a marital challenge! We will keep in mind the dumping tips too as we are staying at a State Park without full hooks ups! I also have yet to drive it so this will be my first experience...Say a little prayer for me.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #31
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
usb charging

realizing this thread began in June and we all have had a summer full of travel..this might bit of information may be stale....however, here it goes.
Do I like the charging station in the bedroom of our 24.1..absolutely...
do we need more charging stations in the living area..sure...
in the interim...I have 2 usb charging sticks which come in handy..and we bring along the inverter we got for the car/truck which plugs into the lighter slot, and sits in a cup holder...it has 4 usb ports and a plugin as well. This item has served us well in our daily & cross country travels.
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter b.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	3367
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The extra USB charging ports I've added (detailed here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...orts-3116.html ) have come in really handy--our son now only asks for the generator to play with the Playstation instead of having it running all the time to charge his phone (he typically sits on the couch).

In addition: I'm always using the one I added in the bedroom (yeah our 24.1 had none of that stuff in the back: no radio, no USB charging, just the TV).
Old 11-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #33
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The extra USB charging ports I've added (detailed here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...orts-3116.html ) have come in really handy--our son now only asks for the generator to play with the Playstation instead of having it running all the time to charge his phone (he typically sits on the couch).

In addition: I'm always using the one I added in the bedroom (yeah our 24.1 had none of that stuff in the back: no radio, no USB charging, just the TV).
Surprised, Jamie..that your Axis did not come with the charging station...just shows how, each year, improvements have been made !
I, now, understand why you added those extra stations !
We appreciate the charging station in the bedroom, as it is powered when driving down the road..our phones are charged there, or with our optional items we have up front.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #34

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
how does the pioneer avh-4100 nex work with backup camera and side mirror camera's?