Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
It says on the cap to use that deox 5 W 30

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thor RV Forum mobile app

Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Going to better grade oil/oil filter never hurts. The Motorcraft Synthetic blend seems to do good job. Going straight synthetic does not hurt anything. I just returned from Blue Ridge driving in NC and am approaching next oil change interval. Appears that the V-10 used no oil even though it was run pretty hard. I passed many DPs as well. I also learned to never get off parkway at SR 80, is like a slalom course for RV.

The LS style engine in my 12 year old Suburban will use more oil with syn blends, even more with full syn. The older Tahoe it replaced with SBC saw no consumption change with syn. The Nissan commuter car does fine with syn. I do not use in my race motors as it seems to hurt ring seal on loose clearance 7500 RPM small block chevy.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #23

Model: Challenger GT
State: British Columbia
THOR #5323
No problem with the oil change, but what needs to be greased under there?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #24

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Mobile One Annual Oil

What is the difference with the Mobile One "Annual Oil."
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #25

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
owner's manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desnichols View Post
We are changing the oil in our 2017 Thor Ace 29.4 with a Ford V10 engine. Any advice on best oil and how much?
This is a nearly new MH, it may still be under Ford warranty. If so, I would stick with the recommended oil in your owners' manual. Also, for warranty purposes, fully document your oil change with receipts, diary etc. if you insist on changing it yourself.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #26

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
and don't forget to look for grease fittings on the front axle. There are at least 10 on my Challenger.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #27

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Owners manual:

Recommended motor oil (U.S.):
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

Pretty much true for all Ford products for quite awhile.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #28

THOR #10044
Oil Change and F-53

Same here. Under warranty still so I use the recommended Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filter. My E450 pol drain is easy compared to the F-53 we did have.
For the F-53 crossmember problem try this: Get a new or used radiator hose long enough to reach your oil catch pan from the drain plug. Loosen the last few threads of drain plug by hand and when it drops, quickly hold the hose over the oil flow. You will still get a little oil splash depending on how quick you are. I used to try to hold an oil pan on the cross member. Spilled it each time until I discovered the radiator hose trick.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #11045
Synthetic Fluids

When we bought our 2014 35HT Challenger in Jan w/4K miles our inspector tested all of the fluids and found some contamination in the oils (all of them). Had them all replaced with a synthetic recommended by Ford. Think it was 10 its but not sure. How much we use the coach our inspector said we'd age out the oil in 2-years before needing to change due to miles
Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaimo View Post
No problem with the oil change, but what needs to be greased under there?
Someone posted this a while ago... I saved the image. For F53 chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-53lubepoints.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	12354  
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 AM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
It’s a great idea to get under your MH and inspect these lubrication areas. Check the grease seals (boots) and the zirc fittings. On our 2017 Miramar 34.1 the grease seal on the connection of the Pitman Arm to the Drag Link (#8) was cracked and dry of any grease when brand new. Our local Ford Dealer gladly replaced the seal under warranty. Furthermore, the rest of the lubrication areas needed an ample amount soon after we took ownership.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #32

Model: 34J
State: Maryland
THOR #10894
Does ford use a standard size drain plug? I want to add the drain plug, but don't want to order the wrong size.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #33

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpokes3r View Post
Does ford use a standard size drain plug? I want to add the drain plug, but don't want to order the wrong size.
If your talking about the Fumoto Drain Plug, at their site you input the year, make and model and your options come up. On my 6.8L V/10 I installed their F106N model.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:31 AM   #34

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Mobil 1 is on sale at Costco right now. 6 quart case for just under $30. Much easier to deal with than the 5 quart jugs.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #35

Model: 34J
State: Maryland
THOR #10894
Going tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #36

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
What is the difference with the Mobile One "Annual Oil."
They say you can go "20,000 miles" (So for most auto's "once a year"). But the old Mobile one use to say "15,000" miles so I guess they improved it or perhaps tested it to 20K miles?

Thats the oil I use on one of my cars and Im going switch my RV over to his oil as well next weekend.

Not sure if I will just change once a year in the RV or wait until like 1.5 years. It just feel wrong to wait longer but perhaps it wont hurt if your only doing 3 or 4K miles a year?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #37

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Synthetic Oil!

Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic in the Ford V-10 and Royal Purple 10w-30 in the generator. The coach get an oil change every fall and the generator once a year, based upon use, of course.
It's very easy to change the coach oil. Flat ground, place it up on the levelers, block the tires, Drain the oil, remove the oil filter, let drain for 10 minutes or so. Add some oil to filter, replace and hand tighten. Replace drain plug. Start coach, and check for leaks.
The generator is a bit messy. I try to have the coach at a slight lean towards the side away from the generator. The fill port is almost the same level as the "full" on the dipstick. Remove the small bolt holding the drain plug cover, spin it away to gain access the the drain plug. Start and warm the generator. Put some electric on: AC or lights and fridge to stress the generator for a few minutes.
After it is warmed a bit, turn off. Wait a few minutes prior to removing the drain plug. Let drain for at least 10 minutes. Replace drain plug and place cover back in it's proper place. Fill with a quality synthetic oil and use a funnel to avoid spilling.
Depending on how much you utilize the generator, will dictate how often you change the oil. For us, once a year is fine.
Keeping an oil drain pan w/ the needed tools etc. in one place is a helpful thing. For the extra expense of Synthetic oil vs. regular oil is cheap protection for a complex and loved machine!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
They say you can go "20,000 miles" (So for most auto's "once a year"). But the old Mobile one use to say "15,000" miles so I guess they improved it or perhaps tested it to 20K miles?

Thats the oil I use on one of my cars and Im going switch my RV over to his oil as well next weekend.

Not sure if I will just change once a year in the RV or wait until like 1.5 years. It just feel wrong to wait longer but perhaps it wont hurt if your only doing 3 or 4K miles a year?
If your going to feel wrong about, I would change it at the one year. After all that's what all the manufactures recommend, even when you have the oil monitor.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #39

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Generator Oil

Onan/Cummins calls for either 30 weight or 15/40 for the more diverse climates for their generators. I decided to go with teh 15w/40 weight. Synthetics are hard to find on the shelf so I ordered from Amazon. Schaeffer is one brand I have used and recently ordered a case of Royal Purple 15w/40.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #40

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
Everything you want to know about oil

Go to Bob is the Oil Guy for everything you want or need to know about which oil and why and avoid all of the personal opinion or marketing hype.

If you are also trying to change your oil only as required, having oil analysis done (I use Blackstone Labs), especially for DPs which use a lot of expensive oil can pay for itself in short orde.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/