Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lbert View Post
just changed my oil in the hurricane 34J. how the heck do you guys get the new oil in the tube with it being so high up?

i spilled oil twice, and nearly gave up. i started with the 5qt can, no way. then the 1qt jugs, and those i could barely turn sideways.

thoughts?
I bought one of these to pump oil into my 1964.5 Mustang differential. I’ll try it on my next oil change in the Miramar.
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane
State: Georgia
THOR #16997
I just transfer the oil to a quart bottle and pour it in, it take
Es a little more time but it gets the job done, no spills.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #23

Model: 2016 ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2371
I use a largish funnel, then transfer oil from the 5qt jug to 1qt bottle then feed one quart at a time.
P.S. I have an ACE 30.1
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #1489
Go to Harbor Freight and get a small hand pump. They are about $10 and you get hoses long enough to put one end in your 5qt container and the other end(output) in the oil hole. You are done in less than 10 minutes. You get a little mess when tou remove the hoses but it is not bad.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #25
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
My hubby hates checking the oil. The dipstick is so dang long and in such an awkward place. We usually have to use a stool and a flashlight!
Old 08-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #15963
Quote:
just changed my oil in the hurricane 34J. how the heck do you guys get the new oil in the tube with it being so high up?

i spilled oil twice, and nearly gave up. i started with the 5qt can, no way. then the 1qt jugs, and those i could barely turn sideways.

thoughts?
I saw where the oil fill was and decided I will use the same type of transfer pump used to pull the oil from a marine engine to put the oil into my RV. https://www.amazon.com/HighFree-Extr...a-872883059911
Old 08-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #27

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
I’ve been using a small, short funnel and use qt bottles half full and turn bottle flat pours right in
Old 08-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #28

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:

thoughts?
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and they should be similar under the hood. It is tight but I got a fill spout you can get at any Auto store. It screws onto a quart bottle of oil and it has a twist on/off valve. I used the hose that came with it but cut it about 5" long. Position the bottle up over the fill tube, insert the hose and open the valve. I squeeze the bottle to speed up the process cause it takes about 7 quarts I think. This should work well for you!! Bob Trice
Old 08-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
I saw where the oil fill was and decided I will use the same type of transfer pump used to pull the oil from a marine engine to put the oil into my RV. https://www.amazon.com/HighFree-Extr...a-872883059911
Gonna get me one of these. I park out back by the barn, 100 yards away from the house. The first time I changed oil my wife heard the language and nasty names I was calling the designers from the kitchen. Also drew blood from my head. But then again I always draw blood when doing projects.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #30

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Battery powerd pump

Got 1 for $19.99, comes with about a 2 ft. extendable hose, pumps the oil bottle dry in just a couple of minutes from sitting on the grill crossbar.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #31

State: Virginia
THOR #13000
Oil Change, 34J

I've only changed oil once, last August. I was going to use a 1 qt attachment tube with a shut off/on valve but discovered that there wasn't enough room. I decided to carefully maneuver the opened qt up to the filler tube. Doing it this way I was able to add the 6 qts without making a mess. Note that it was a bit of a stretch and somewhat of a pain to do it this way. Love my 34J but my prior class C was much easier to add the oil.