Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 04:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
Omni/magnitude hot center console

I have the XG32 and my center console gets extremely hot. To the point where plastic water bottle deform. I put an inch of foam at the bottom of the cup holders and it helps, bottles don't deform, but the get hot. I suppose this might be a feature of I was drinking coffee or hot tea all day, but not for cold drinks. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2020 SV34 on a 2019 F-550 (shouldn't matter which version of the Omni/Magnitude since we are talking about the cab and chassis). I have not had any issues with heat in the cab or on the cab floor (unlike the E-450, which can get warm and noisy). I just drove 12 hours on Monday and came back through the Vermont mountains without any issues with heat.

The console is above the transmission so the heat is either from it or the exhaust. It might be worth pulling up the Transmission Temp when you are driving to see if it is getting excessively hot.

Might be worth a trip to Ford. Perhaps they forgot to install insulation or a heat shield of some sort during manufacturing?
Old 08-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire View Post
I have the XG32 and my center console gets extremely hot. To the point where plastic water bottle deform. I put an inch of foam at the bottom of the cup holders and it helps, bottles don't deform, but the get hot. I suppose this might be a feature of I was drinking coffee or hot tea all day, but not for cold drinks. Anyone else have this issue?
I have the 2020 XG32 and do no not have that problem. The only problem I have had is the 2 windows over the dinette like to flutter/vibrate while driving, have large suction cups holding them closed at the moment. Waiting on 2 new redesigned windows to come in. Thor has had several complaints on this style of window and there is an A that has them also with the same problem.
The problem is the the windows are too tall and flex as air passing over the widows pulls them out and then they snap back, it happens pretty fast.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I have the 2020 XG32 and do no not have that problem. The only problem I have had is the 2 windows over the dinette like to flutter/vibrate while driving, have large suction cups holding them closed at the moment. Waiting on 2 new redesigned windows to come in. Thor has had several complaints on this style of window and there is an A that has them also with the same problem.
The problem is the the windows are too tall and flex as air passing over the widows pulls them out and then they snap back, it happens pretty fast.

Have a picture of your style windows? I have an SV34 and would like to see if they are the same. I have an appointment at the Factory Service Center in October and want to see if I need to add this to the list.

Trying to figure out how yours are opening. What is the open and close mechanism? Is it the knob mechanism or the Emergency Release latch that holds them closed?
Old 08-29-2020, 06:54 AM   #5

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Have a picture of your style windows? I have an SV34 and would like to see if they are the same. I have an appointment at the Factory Service Center in October and want to see if I need to add this to the list.

Trying to figure out how yours are opening. What is the open and close mechanism? Is it the knob mechanism or the Emergency Release latch that holds them closed?
Yes it has a knob at the bottom to open and close the window. The problem is the window is tall and it hinges at the top and the window flexes to easily in the center. There are two of these windows over the dinette, the forward window is the worse of the two.
I have a video of it, let me see if I can get it attached here.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #6

THOR #4243
Click image for larger version

Name:	new rv.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	25842

The forward 2 windows right behind the driver. I have a video but cant seem to get it to attach.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #7

THOR #18499
Thanks Judge. I figured I would be making a trip to Ford for that.

On the windows, I test drove an XG32 and the dinette windows did the same thing. We got back to the dealership and drove a second XG32 and the windows were fine. It is either a window manufacturing defect or installation error. Either way it will be able to be fixed. All the windows on my rig were fine.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

THOR #18499
KWPlot34, I like the way you roll!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XG32 SxS.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	25843  
Old 08-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Quote:
Thanks Judge. I figured I would be making a trip to Ford for that.

No hot console here...new 10 speed transmission?

On the windows, I test drove an XG32 and the dinette windows did the same thing. We got back to the dealership and drove a second XG32 and the windows were fine. It is either a window manufacturing defect or installation error. Either way it will be able to be fixed. All the windows on my rig were fine.

Had mine replace a couple months ago at the factory service facility for this issue, and although better than before, the front one still flexes open in the center in a starboard crosswind. They need thicker glass, but was told no such thing is available.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What happened with the hot console?
Did Ford have a solution?
Old 08-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #11

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Had mine replace a couple months ago at the factory service facility for this issue, and although better than before, the front one still flexes open in the center in a starboard crosswind. They need thicker glass, but was told no such thing is available.
Mine were both replaced a few months back, did not solve the issue. Supposedly a new redesigned windows are on order. Yes the harder the wind blows, the more the windows flex.
Thicker glass might work, or make the upper half or 3/4 of the window solid and only the bottom half or 1/4 of the window open.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #12

THOR #4243
Quote:
KWPlot34, I like the way you roll!
Great minds think a like
Old 08-30-2020, 03:59 AM   #13

THOR #16693
Quote:
Mine were both replaced a few months back, did not solve the issue. Supposedly a new redesigned windows are on order. Yes the harder the wind blows, the more the windows flex.
Thicker glass might work, or make the upper half or 3/4 of the window solid and only the bottom half or 1/4 of the window open.

Thought about the 3/4-1/4 design like on the passenger side, but then how to deal with the egress window? If it can't be properly correct on my next factory service run, I'm going to glue the front one shut!
Old 08-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Attachment 25842

The forward 2 windows right behind the driver. I have a video but cant seem to get it to attach.
Thanks for the picture!

I have the wider rectangular windows there. I have a similar window that opens in the bedroom but have not had any issues with that..... although I may have the DW stand back there while driving to be sure.

Thanks again.... and nice rig!
Old 08-31-2020, 03:22 AM   #15

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Thought about the 3/4-1/4 design like on the passenger side, but then how to deal with the egress window? If it can't be properly correct on my next factory service run, I'm going to glue the front one shut!
Egress window? are you referring to the fire escape window? Our emergency/fire window is in the back of the coach.
Gluing the offending window closed thought did cross my mind, I have a big suction cup holding it closed at the moment.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:26 AM   #16

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks for the picture!

I have the wider rectangular windows there. I have a similar window that opens in the bedroom but have not had any issues with that..... although I may have the DW stand back there while driving to be sure.

Thanks again.... and nice rig!
Yes you may want to check that window out going down the road, if the wind is blowing and hitting the coach just right it will really make it rattle. I know it's not air getting under the window to cause the issue, because I used clear Gorilla tape all around the outside of the window so air could not get under it and it still did it.
Thank you Judge we really like the coach a lot, the omni/magnitude are some great RV's.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:59 AM   #17

THOR #16693
Quote:
Egress window? are you referring to the fire escape window? Our emergency/fire window is in the back of the coach.
Gluing the offending window closed thought did cross my mind, I have a big suction cup holding it closed at the moment.

BH35 has two egress (emergency) windows, one in the back and one over the dinette, both in the full slide side. The offending window is the front of the big two in one frame over the dinette (rear being an egress and front crank open), and is only really annoying at speed (65-75) in a right side crosswind. Negative pressure from the bulbous bow wake is trying to suck it out of the wall.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #14841
what happened to the hot console issue ?

Seems like the original thread got hijacked by the window design and replacement folks ... so I'll re-raise Bob's question : did Ford ( or anyone else ) come up with an explanation for the hot console ? Certainly sounds like some missing heat shield materials since the engine is out front.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #19

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperpapa View Post
Seems like the original thread got hijacked by the window design and replacement folks ... so I'll re-raise Bob's question : did Ford ( or anyone else ) come up with an explanation for the hot console ? Certainly sounds like some missing heat shield materials since the engine is out front.
If it were mine, I'd just take it to Ford. Thor has nothing to do with that part of it. Could be something with the new 10-speed, but like you said, sounds like a heat shield is missing in the tunnel. Just can't imagine one getting out of the factory without it though.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #20

Model: XG-32
THOR #19089
XG-32 windows

My motor home is in the dealership getting the windows replaced. How did you hold them shut with a suction cup?