Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34p
State: California
THOR #8973
Ford Triton v10 issue

Hi group
I just thought I would let everyone know what happen to my 2017 Southwind and how it could help you. I bought my new and had the Ford 5 year warranty, which I love the whole Ford chasis, and then my check engine light came on with misfiring issues. I took it to a Ford dealer and they told me that there is a built in compression issues on some the the earlier engines. Ford gave me a whole new engine. So this is just a little up front knowledge that you might want to know and check your warranty and engine status.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:13 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I am glad Ford stepped up and replaced the engine for you. It is good to know it.

Paul
Old 11-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #3

THOR #8973
I was a big Ford believer before and now a lifetime Ford person
Old 11-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
thanks, and good for you that it turned out happily. How many miles did you have on it?
Old 11-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

THOR #8973
17, 500 miles on the engine
Old 11-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Early Triton engines (both V-10 and V-8's) were known to spit out spark plugs.

Around 2001ish Ford changed the design to include more threads holding in the spark plugs.

In addition: High mileage Tritons are also known for breaking exhaust manifold bolts.

I'm on my 3rd V-10 (a 1999, 2008, and 2014). Had no issues with the 1999 for 138,000 miles. The 2008 broke the exhaust manifold bolts but otherwise was great for 70,000+ miles.

Now on the 2014 (which is in our Axis) has served us well for a meager 20,000 miles and counting.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #7

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I had a neighbor who had a V-10 and the threads in the head for the spark plug would strip out and the plugs had never been changed, it happened to one and after he got it fixed 3 more did the same thing, he said they did the repair with out pulling the heads
Old 12-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: Washington
THOR #21409
My brother took his in for service and the mechanic told him that the plugs work loose because the head design increased the difference in expansion rate between the aluminum head and the steel spark plug He told him to just check the torque on his plugs every 3K or 4K and he'd be fine. He's been doing that for 10 years and not a single problem, so I'm doing the same on my 2018 just to be sure.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:14 AM   #9

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
If you read the question, he has a 2017 V10. Spark plugs issues pertain to early 2000s. Please don't respond with useless information.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:24 AM   #10

THOR #21409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwmjw2 View Post
If you read the question, he has a 2017 V10. Spark plugs issues pertain to early 2000s. Please don't respond with useless information.
If you're referring to my response, according to the Ford dealer they are required to still check during a service on certain applications, RV's being one of them. And they recommended that I check mine. I don't think that's useless but if you do, no worries.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
To the O.P .
Glad that Ford did right by you.
Being a "Blue Oval" person is pretty cool; ain't it?
Old 12-06-2020, 02:33 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm also on my third V-10, no problems. I always had a Ford truck until I bought a Nissan. Now Fords are relegated to RV use only for me.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODHill View Post
If you're referring to my response, according to the Ford dealer they are required to still check during a service on certain applications, RV's being one of them. And they recommended that I check mine. I don't think that's useless but if you do, no worries.

The history of our engines is interesting and not irrelevant in my opinion either. But that’s an interesting bit of news...torquing the spark plugs is not listed on the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual. I have no intention of doing that tedious and messy task without a clear mandate. If I think of it I’ll ask my Ford truck dealer next time I’m in the dealership.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #14

THOR #21409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The history of our engines is interesting and not irrelevant in my opinion either. But that’s an interesting bit of news...torquing the spark plugs is not listed on the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual. I have no intention of doing that tedious and messy task without a clear mandate. If I think of it I’ll ask my Ford truck dealer next time I’m in the dealership.
That's a good idea to check and please let me know what you find. I figured I'd check a couple of times and if everything was okay would ease up on it. I have next to zero personal experience with the V-10's so asked the guys in the shop when I was doing some fuel injection work for them the other day (I'm a retired Heavy Duty Automotive Journeyman and run the fuel injection shop several days a week for a local outfit). I've been towing 5th wheels for years and we decided to downsize to get better access to state and federal campgrounds where our 5th wheel was just too big. Since this is our first Class C we decided to go used with a 2018 Four Winds 30D, so I was asking them what to watch for while I was there. They said to keep an eye on the back two plugs and that they're supposed to check them, then we went on to other stuff and I didn't ask a lot of details. After I left I wished I'd have asked some stuff like how many they've found loose but when yuo're on the clock you don't want to mess around too much. I'm taking it in to them to check it out so will see what they have to say when I go in.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #15

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpwelch View Post
17, 500 miles on the engine
Darn. Thats what I have on my 2019. Hope they fixed it by then.