Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Onan 4000 shut down

OK troubleshooters...where should I start?
Just returned this week from a trip. Four hour drive back running the generator and house air conditioning (as usual). Pulled into storage, unhooked jeep and backed into spot. While moving our stuff out of the rig and into the jeep, generator shut down. Just gassed up so it's not below 1/4 tank. I am about 20 hours overdue on oil change but a quick check of the oil level shows right at the full mark (next day after cooling). We were in a hurry unloading since it was about to storm so didn't get to check out anything. The next day, tried starting it but it just cranks over normally but won't start. Again, it was about to storm so I didn't get any further. I'll be going back to the rig tomorrow so give me some starting points. All ideas welcome. I know you all got ideas. Let's have em. Thanks in advance. I'll let you know who hit the nail on the head...or, how much I had to pay a tech to fix it.

pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
OK troubleshooters...where should I start?
Just returned this week from a trip. Four hour drive back running the generator and house air conditioning (as usual). Pulled into storage, unhooked jeep and backed into spot. While moving our stuff out of the rig and into the jeep, generator shut down. Just gassed up so it's not below 1/4 tank. I am about 20 hours overdue on oil change but a quick check of the oil level shows right at the full mark (next day after cooling). We were in a hurry unloading since it was about to storm so didn't get to check out anything. The next day, tried starting it but it just cranks over normally but won't start. Again, it was about to storm so I didn't get any further. I'll be going back to the rig tomorrow so give me some starting points. All ideas welcome. I know you all got ideas. Let's have em. Thanks in advance. I'll let you know who hit the nail on the head...or, how much I had to pay a tech to fix it.
Anytime there is an uncommanded shut-down, the Onan will store an error code. Your first thing is to pull the code and use your manual to see what it recommends.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Yup, getting the code is the first thing. Also the tools needed to check the fuel pump operation, check for spark and other items suggested in the operation manual.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Agree with every that Step 1 is getting the error code. If you had the Cummins Onan EC-30 it would display the error code and why it shut down on the screen inside.

But once you get the error codes short of few basic issues, they will always refer you to Onan Authorized Dealer. I know you have already checked, but I am listing off the top of my head things that if were wrong, I could do without service.

1. Fuel
2. Oil level
3. Air Cleaner
4. Spark Plugs

I am gonna guess your Error code is 36 and one of the issues above. When all of the above is verified; Prime for 30 seconds because it may have run out of gas before you gassed it? If I win; I will PM you the address to send me my prize.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #5

THOR #12686
Well, finally got around to the generator issue. Of course it was the ole 36 fault code. Everything checked out in front, oil level, carb, fuel filter, air filter; etc. Had to pull the genny from the coach. Guess what was on the back side...a rusted out coil. Florida living isn't all beaches and bikinis (may not be politacally correct) . Good ole salt environment. New coil and back in happy land. Also replaced the fuel line that had a small kink that was causing slow starts. Now, prime for 2 seconds, hit the button and she (again, may not be politically correct) starts right up.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Well, finally got around to the generator issue. Of course it was the ole 36 fault code. Everything checked out in front, oil level, carb, fuel filter, air filter; etc. Had to pull the genny from the coach. Guess what was on the back side...a rusted out coil. Florida living isn't all beaches and bikinis (may not be politacally correct) . Good ole salt environment. New coil and back in happy land. Also replaced the fuel line that had a small kink that was causing slow starts. Now, prime for 2 seconds, hit the button and she (again, may not be politically correct) starts right up.

Congratulations. The 36 error of life is that nothing is politically correct if you have extreme views on left or right with no room for tolerance.

Did you do this work yourself? What is this coil you had to replace and how costly?

My genny has been getting an extensive workout on our current trip. One day I hope to be able to chat with moderate Lithium owner that may have spent $4k plus on a conversion, maybe some solar and swear they do not need a genny? i.e. Are the lithium's running the ACs. I find myself always needing to start my genny before I can can runs long periods of time just trying to get every ah out of the battery. I honestly think if someone spent $4k retrofitting my coach, I would be happy but the only thing I would gain would be the ability to pop popcorn without using the genny
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Wow! Can you get to the kinked fuel line without pulling the gen out? I’ve got to prime mine for 45 seconds. Even if I just shut it down. Pictures available?
Old 09-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Wow! Can you get to the kinked fuel line without pulling the gen out? I’ve got to prime mine for 45 seconds. Even if I just shut it down. Pictures available?
I am curious.... Have you ever called Onan directly on your need to prime 45 seconds even after you have just shut down?

i.e. is your genset significantly higher that the gas tank and/or a very long run from the gas tank?

Note: My question is only laced with the hope that something may be improved to help you, and maybe I learn something the along the way. No other intent.

By my manual you have two problems. Having to Prime when genset is known to have just had fuel, and given you must prime, having to prime beyond 30 seconds. I think that could cause some other damage. I believe that by my book, that after 30 seconds it says to pause wait and then start a 2nd prime.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #9

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am curious.... Have you ever called Onan directly on your need to prime 45 seconds even after you have just shut down?

i.e. is your genset significantly higher that the gas tank and/or a very long run from the gas tank?

Note: My question is only laced with the hope that something may be improved to help you, and maybe I learn something the along the way. No other intent.

By my manual you have two problems. Having to Prime when genset is known to have just had fuel, and given you must prime, having to prime beyond 30 seconds. I think that could cause some other damage. I believe that by my book, that after 30 seconds it says to pause wait and then start a 2nd prime.
Well, I bought this new in 2019. I didn’t get a manual for the generator. Only a Thor generic motorhome manual. Do you have a number for Onan support?
Old 09-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

THOR #17765
The manual online that I have read only addresses priming for 30 seconds after the fuel filter replacement. I never crank the thing for more than 5 - 10 seconds. I get no codes. It starts and runs fine after counting to 45 then pressing start. My F53 chassis and gas tank location are same as yours. Generator is located 2 compartments behind drivers seat on left side. I’ve always figured it doesn’t hold fuel up in the carb. Allows it to run back out of line. Therefore creating a long prime time.

So back to my original question, where was the kink in your fuel line? Can you reach it without pulling the genny?
Old 09-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Well, I bought this new in 2019. I didn’t get a manual for the generator. Only a Thor generic motorhome manual. Do you have a number for Onan support?
I have 2019 5500. My Onan manual came with unit, it also came with a Onan plastic case with a bunch of stuff that I admit I have not had need for, but the pdfs are available on line. I have the pdf at home on desktop; so I can't get the the file name / version I have while traveling.

I suggest you Google Onan Support to get the number and info based on your serial number; so I don't stray you wrong. I certainly have no idea of what Onan will tell you but would be very interested in what they say? From my perspective because I NEVER have to prime and my starts are 3 - 4 secs, it would seem quite odd to me to have to prime 45 seconds, and then 5 - 10 seconds there after; and it sounds like you have to do it every time? The latter is why I would at least see what Onan has to say. It could all be normal, and I just learn something new. One thing for sure, if I ever buy a new RV, I will add how long it takes for the genset to start to my PDI list. But I can say emphatically that in all of the new 2019 ACE 29.3s and 2019 Hurricanes / Windsports I looked at; all the generators started with no issues except one that had dead batteries. Take it a step further I was adorned by the Thor's Firefly Controller which was genesis of why I would later go on to buy the EC-30 Command from Onan giving my SOB had no AGS for Auto Start.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #12

THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Congratulations. The 36 error of life is that nothing is politically correct if you have extreme views on left or right with no room for tolerance.

Did you do this work yourself? What is this coil you had to replace and how costly?

My genny has been getting an extensive workout on our current trip. One day I hope to be able to chat with moderate Lithium owner that may have spent $4k plus on a conversion, maybe some solar and swear they do not need a genny? i.e. Are the lithium's running the ACs. I find myself always needing to start my genny before I can can runs long periods of time just trying to get every ah out of the battery. I honestly think if someone spent $4k retrofitting my coach, I would be happy but the only thing I would gain would be the ability to pop popcorn without using the genny
I did the initial troubleshooting myself. Fuel was decent but voltage was below 11vdc. I figured at this point, genny has to go to the bench. I'm not able to work underneath now (vertigo will kick in) so off to feed the shop $$$. I use a local RV service center, not a dealership. They verified all my previous findings and felt that it may be a broken rod. I hung around for removal (learn stuff that way) and as soon as it was set on the bench, the rusted coil was obvious. installed the new coil and fired right up. With the genny removed, it was easy to see the kinks in the fuel line. Tech told me it is one of the most common issues they find on all brands of motor homes. Just the nature of cramming 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket (RV).The coil was $100 plus 2 hours of labor at $110 per hour. No access to the coil with genny installed on most motor homes.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM   #13

THOR #12686
Quote:
The manual online that I have read only addresses priming for 30 seconds after the fuel filter replacement. I never crank the thing for more than 5 - 10 seconds. I get no codes. It starts and runs fine after counting to 45 then pressing start. My F53 chassis and gas tank location are same as yours. Generator is located 2 compartments behind drivers seat on left side. I’ve always figured it doesn’t hold fuel up in the carb. Allows it to run back out of line. Therefore creating a long prime time.

So back to my original question, where was the kink in your fuel line? Can you reach it without pulling the genny?
I have the E450 chassis on the Vegas and it's not really a long distance for priming. But, up until now, I had to prime for about 20 seconds and try to start. Usually took 3 times for it to start. Now, I prime for 3 seconds and it starts immediately. As I mentioned in the previous post, tech said kinks in genny fuel lines are one of their most common findings in all brands of motor homes. That doesn't mean yours is kinked but I would certainly check it out. Your starting procedure may just be normal for your coach/generator but I am always suspicious if something seems to struggle with start up. Onan has a contact page on-line but I have never tried to contact them. I would suggest trying to speak to them to see if your situation is normal. I believe that the fuel line is mostly visible on the F-53 chassis. Try to take a look or stick your phone/camera underneath and take some pictures. It doesn't take much of a kink to restrict fuel flow.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:08 AM   #14

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Jimbo....I had same thing happen.....needed a new carburetor.....replaced it under warranty and it now fires right up....I did learn one thing though....always prime it before you start it....not sure what kind of control panel you have in your coach, but ours is on the wall next to the bathroom and I just push down till red light comes on...like a second, then hit start and vroooom, comes right on. I think the total repair on the warranty order was like 550 or something like that.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Jimbo....I had same thing happen.....needed a new carburetor.....replaced it under warranty and it now fires right up....I did learn one thing though....always prime it before you start it....not sure what kind of control panel you have in your coach, but ours is on the wall next to the bathroom and I just push down till red light comes on...like a second, then hit start and vroooom, comes right on. I think the total repair on the warranty order was like 550 or something like that.
It doesn't start priming until the red light comes on so if you only hold it until that happens, you are NOT primiong the generator.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #16

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It doesn't start priming until the red light comes on so if you only hold it until that happens, you are NOT primiong the generator.
But regardless of how long he holds the button down, primed or not, it starts right up. I’m calling Onan today.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:58 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Manual Attached

Updated: From my manual (also attached)

This is where I say priming (if required should not exceed 30 seconds)

Unless you have special design constraints for your coach, Onan's attitude is you only need to prime when out of gas or just replaced a fuel filter. They assume you exercise it regularly.

I have yet to have prime in almost 2 years, but I consistently average 6 - 7 hours per month just based on how I use the RV, not just running it for the sake of exercising. But make no mistake, I have no issue when Priming may be necessary, it is just odd to me because I use a lot by my standards and if I had to prime it every time it would get annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre - Start Onan.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	33467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start Onan.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	33468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Priming.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	33469  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A035D009 Onan 5500 manual.pdf (1.56 MB, 45 views)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It doesn't start priming until the red light comes on so if you only hold it until that happens, you are NOT priming the generator.
Let me try to spin this. So Technically he is ensuring the the Genset is properly Stopped before he Starts it No Priming necessary as his Genset has good supply of fuel. With his new carb his genset seems to be in good working order